PDA

View Full Version : Strangest potato chip(crisp) flavour you have tried or seen in store

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Rob
07-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Charles Chips were great.

We have Herr's in MD.

Rex
07-30-2010, 12:15 AM
You have to use a deep fat frier. And you have to use vegetable oil. And you have to make very small batches. And slice the potatoes so thin they only have one side. And it has to be very, very hot. That said, sometimes the ones that are not crispy enough taste the best, so no failures for your attempts ;).

Yeah, they don't taste bad, they just are not crunchy.

zhenya271
07-30-2010, 04:15 AM
These aren't exotic flavored, but does anyone remember Charles Chips (the ones that were sold in large tin cans)? Those were the best. potato. chips. ever. :swoon:

I remember the trucks/vans that used to deliver them in our neighborhood when I was little.

I can't remember the taste of Charles Chips but I remember the delivery trucks around the neighborhood and the tins. This was in FL. when I was a small child, we moved to CA next, I don't think they had them there.

Southpaw
08-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Sad breaking news. The inventor of the Cheez Doodle has died.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/08/03/cheez-doodles-creator-dies-at-kings-point-home/

skatingfan5
08-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Sad breaking news. The inventor of the Cheez Doodle has died.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/08/03/cheez-doodles-creator-dies-at-kings-point-home/RIP, Morrie Yohai, you did good with Cheez Doodles.
For a long time, he kept a picture of Julia Child eating a bag of Cheez Doodles with a caption that called it her favorite snack :)

When the family vacationed in California in 2004, he said, they went to a museum that had a room-size installation by artist Sandy Skoglund called “The Cocktail Party,” a work made entirely of Cheez Doodles.

“The whole room was made of Cheez Doodles, the table, chairs, glasses, the people’s hair,” said Robbie. He said his mother was very excited and “proceeded to tell everyone in the museum that my father was the creator of the Cheez Doodles.”:D

nlyoung
08-03-2010, 07:25 PM
When I was younger, this would have been late 70's or early 80's, Hostess made fruit flavored potato chips. I have no idea if they were only available in Canada. I remember trying them, but have no recall on if they tasted good or not.

I remember them and they were the most vile things I had ever tasted! I seem to remember grape and cherry as two options...

rjblue
08-03-2010, 11:04 PM
FSU's resident potato expert weighing in here.

If you see any purple, red or patterned potato chips, don't worry, they are completely natural (and yummy). They are also very high in anti-oxidants and have good amounts of Vitamin C. One brands nutritional content. (http://olddutchfoods.ca/eng/productPop.php?image=images/popups/potato/original.jpg) 44 chips gives you 250 calories, 50% of your vitamin C, and 25% of your vitamin E. They have potassium too, but it's not listed here.

If you want to make your own, make sure you start with the right variety. I test potatoes for chipping quality as part of my work. Some varieties have so much sugar in them that they turn almost black before they get crispy, and wetter potatoes absorb a lot more fat. Many of those lovely baking potatoes that you buy in the store will make awful chips. Most of the yellow fleshed ones make quite nice chips. Slice them very thinly and deep fry them at 350 until they stop bubbling. They'll be crispy but the colour they turn depends on you selecting the right potato.

My favourite flavour is a plain chip- still hot from being fried.

cruisin
08-03-2010, 11:08 PM
FSU's resident potato expert weighing in here.

If you see any purple, red or patterned potato chips, don't worry, they are completely natural (and yummy). They are also very high in anti-oxidants and have good amounts of Vitamin C. One brands nutritional content. (http://olddutchfoods.ca/eng/productPop.php?image=images/popups/potato/original.jpg) 44 chips gives you 250 calories, 50% of your vitamin C, and 25% of your vitamin E. They have potassium too, but it's not listed here.

If you want to make your own, make sure you start with the right variety. I test potatoes for chipping quality as part of my work. Some varieties have so much sugar in them that they turn almost black before they get crispy, and wetter potatoes absorb a lot more fat. Many of those lovely baking potatoes that you buy in the store will make awful chips. Most of the yellow fleshed ones make quite nice chips. Slice them very thinly and deep fry them at 350 until they stop bubbling. They'll be crispy but the colour they turn depends on you selecting the fight potato.

My favourite flavour is a plain chip- still hot from being fried.

Can I visit you at work?

reckless
08-04-2010, 02:41 AM
Lay's vinegar flavored chips. Tried them once and I wanted to *insert vomit emoticon*.
I love salt-and-vinegar chips. But then I love getting chips (fries) in Britain and slathering them with malt vinegar and salt.

I also love prawn cocktail flavored chips (and shrimp crackers). However, the msg tends to make me regret those.