PDA

View Full Version : Strangest potato chip(crisp) flavour you have tried or seen in store

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

skatingfan5
07-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Yeah, they aren't even real chips. They're potato crackers.They're more like potato-flavored crackers -- they have more wheat than potato in them (less than 50% potato). But, unlike an empty potato chip bag, you can make a pinhole camera (http://exploratorium.edu/science_explorer/pringles_pinhole.html) using the Pringles container. So I suppose that's something. :lol:

Something so artificial about them. They are cooked and then put through some sort of dehydrating process....ewww.I just assumed they were baked, like most crackers are. They are made using dehydrated potato flakes, though.

kwanfan1818
07-28-2010, 07:05 PM
There is an Asian Grocery Store near my gym that sells the weirdest flavored chips. Not that I risked trying them but from memory, the green curry chickpea chips sounded positively scary.
Could they be papadam chips? Papadam are the thin wafers made of chickpea flour that are served in many Indian restaurants in North America instead of a bread basket. They can be flavored, often with spice seeds. They are delicious. I've seen the chips in stores and love them.

People actually like Pringles? :huh:
Absolutely. The can can be held in the car's cup-holder, and they're easy to grab while driving.

They're more like potato-flavored crackers -- they have more wheat than potato in them (less than 50% potato). But, unlike an empty potato chip bag, you can make a pinhole camera (http://exploratorium.edu/science_explorer/pringles_pinhole.html) using the Pringles container. So I suppose that's something. :lol:
Or they become mini car trash cans after they're empty (and you don't have to worry about things like gum falling out of the car trash bag).

skatingfan5
07-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Absolutely. The can can be held in the car's cup-holder, and they're easy to grab while driving. ... Or they become mini car trash cans after they're empty (and you don't have to worry about things like gum falling out of the car trash bag).Those are definitely advantages -- if you have a car. :lol:

cruisin
07-28-2010, 10:23 PM
Sorry, I meant the crisps/chips you buy in Spain. :)

Nice, get me all excited and then I can't get them! :P

I live in Philly, and I always thought that they were a mid-Atlantic thing. Maybe not. What state do you live in?

I live in NJ (the state which cannot be mentioned :lol:). So, you could be right, it could be a regional brand. I know Sturgis pretzels is. They're made in Reading, we toured the factory once once :lol:! After that I stopped buying Sturgis Pretzels, I've never seen so many flies in one place before. :wideeyes:

Rex
07-29-2010, 02:36 AM
I live in NJ (the state which cannot be mentioned :lol:). So, you could be right, it could be a regional brand. I know Sturgis pretzels is. They're made in Reading, we toured the factory once once :lol:! After that I stopped buying Sturgis Pretzels, I've never seen so many flies in one place before. :wideeyes:

Uber-ewwwww. Flies. Attracted to the wet dough, no doubt.

You know, I've tried to make my own potato chips, but I've failed miserably each time - they don't get crisp enough. Something for the recipe thread I guess.

In the meantime, on the rare occasion when I do eat them, I go all out for kettle chips.

cruisin
07-29-2010, 03:52 AM
Uber-ewwwww. Flies. Attracted to the wet dough, no doubt.

You know, I've tried to make my own potato chips, but I've failed miserably each time - they don't get crisp enough. Something for the recipe thread I guess.

In the meantime, on the rare occasion when I do eat them, I go all out for kettle chips.

You have to use a deep fat frier. And you have to use vegetable oil. And you have to make very small batches. And slice the potatoes so thin they only have one side. And it has to be very, very hot. That said, sometimes the ones that are not crispy enough taste the best, so no failures for your attempts ;).

Catbert
07-29-2010, 05:34 AM
I've seen a lot of weird flavours... Tandoori, Szechwan, General Tao Chicken, Feta&Olive... never had the guts to try them!

Weirdest flavour I ever tried was fries and gravy, and it was really yummy...

Are you talking about President's Choice chips? I love that particular line, especially their spicy piri-piri chips. (Although the Tandoori BBQ, Szechuan, and Gen'l Tao Chicken chips are really good, too.)

zhenya271
07-29-2010, 07:03 AM
Not real but years ago some company in England introduced hedgehog flavored crisps as an April Fool's prank. Yuck.

They were real (not made with real hedgehogs of course :lol:) - I remember them from when I was a small child. Despite the novelty value, they never became popular and didn't last long.

I remember these from the mid-eighties. I never realized they were a novelty item, I always wondered the reason for the hedgehog label. I know they didn't taste bad, but I know they weren't especially good. It was Walkers brand and we bought them by the individual serving bags for school at the military grocery store on the British base that my dad was assigned to in Germany. Good times.:) The post is now closed.

Taro chips are delicious and very pretty, but you can't have very many as they are very rich.

skateboy
07-29-2010, 07:26 AM
This probably sounds very boring and not unusual, but I recently had (Lay's?) lime flavored potato chips. I love lime, but these were just nasty.

I kept dipping them into the ranch dip, hoping that would dilute the "fakey-tart" flavor of the potato chips, but all that did was make the ranch dip taste like crap.

Cyn
07-29-2010, 10:04 AM
I like these: http://www.terrachips.com/products/Original-TERRA-Chips.php Especially the sweet potato chips.

I like Terra Chips, but those suckers are often a little too thick and sharp - on more than one occasion I've punctured the roof of my mouth biting into one :scream: .

These aren't exotic flavored, but does anyone remember Charles Chips (the ones that were sold in large tin cans)? Those were the best. potato. chips. ever. :swoon:

Norlite
07-29-2010, 10:40 AM
We have a regional potato chip company, Herrs', and they make these "Red Hot" potato chips that I used to munch on all day.

Herrs are sold here (Ontario, Canada) in my local supermarket.

They are made using dehydrated potato flakes, though.

Yeah, I've always said they taste like pressed together instant potato flakes. No one else I know seems to think so though. And my daughter loves them.

minuet
07-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Are you talking about President's Choice chips? I love that particular line, especially their spicy piri-piri chips. (Although the Tandoori BBQ, Szechuan, and Gen'l Tao Chicken chips are really good, too.)

These were the ones I was going to mention. I really like the General Tao Chicken ones.

My brother also found novelty chips in a store in Toronto that I believe were originally from the UK. They were breakfast flavours. I remember the bacon and eggs one in particular.

cruisin
07-29-2010, 02:05 PM
I like Terra Chips, but those suckers are often a little too thick and sharp - on more than one occasion I've punctured the roof of my mouth biting into one :scream: .

These aren't exotic flavored, but does anyone remember Charles Chips (the ones that were sold in large tin cans)? Those were the best. potato. chips. ever. :swoon:

I remember Charles Chips. For a while they also sold them in bags at the grocery store, but I haven't seen them for years. Looks like you can still get them: http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=charles+chips&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=MHxRTPLeBIKClAfY7NibBg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CEIQrQQwAg

flyingsit
07-29-2010, 02:49 PM

I remember the trucks/vans that used to deliver them in our neighborhood when I was little.

Rex
07-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Herrs are sold here (Ontario, Canada) in my local supermarket. Oh, ok. Maybe not so regional after all. Unless it's just the East Coast of North America. Do you get Utz' as well?

These aren't exotic flavored, but does anyone remember Charles Chips (the ones that were sold in large tin cans)? Those were the best. potato. chips. ever. :swoon: I LOVED Charles' Chips when I was a kid. My maternal grands ordered from them, and they would deliver chips and pretzels to their house every other Saturday. They were so tasty, and you could reuse the giant tin cans they came in :inavoid: memories.