PDA

View Full Version : Strangest potato chip(crisp) flavour you have tried or seen in store

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

jenlyon60
07-27-2010, 03:35 PM
US BBQ flavored chips are okay, but I much prefer the Paprika crisps I used to get in Germany.

ngcskate
07-27-2010, 03:40 PM
When I was younger, this would have been late 70's or early 80's, Hostess made fruit flavored potato chips. I have no idea if they were only available in Canada. I remember trying them, but have no recall on if they tasted good or not.

skatingfan5
07-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Not real but years ago some company in England introduced hedgehog flavored crisps as an April Fool's prank. Yuck.

They were real (not made with real hedgehogs of course :lol:) - I remember them from when I was a small child. Despite the novelty value, they never became popular and didn't last long.

SHARPIE this year brought us over a load of different flavours that Walkers had on sale to tie in with the World Cup.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/apr/05/charlie-brooker-world-cup-crispsYes, Walker's brought the world a variety of flavored crisps including roasted chicken and thyme, chillii & lime, smoky bacon, and ... marmite. :scream: When my sister lived in England, I'd marvel at the variety of flavours they had at pubs. I could have sworn I saw one that was steak & kidney flavour :yikes:, but it doesn't seem to be on this rather extensive list of UK crisps (http://www.crisplist.co.uk/), so if I did see it a dozen years ago, it now has been discontinued. It must have had very limited appeal, unlike the "xmas special turkey and stuffing" flavor. ;)

I am rather partial to Red Hot Blues -- an organic blue corn chip with paprika and cayenne pepper in the spice mix. A bit hot (but not excessively so) and very tasty!

Rob
07-27-2010, 04:12 PM
I love those habanero Doritos, and I am sure I would love wasabi or anything spicy/BBQ/chile of any region.

Anything that is meat, shellfish, fish, chicken flavored doesn't really appeal to me too much. Maybe smoky bacon would be ok, but I tried marmite and vegemite and did not like them so I would draw the line at marmite.

In Maryland, we have Utz Crab Spice potato chips - these are not crab flavored - they just have the Old Bay style seasoning that we put on steamed crabs here. I love Old Bay on crabs, but not so much on potato chips.

Utz also has Carolina style BBQ, which I love - a combo of BBQ and salt/vinegar chips. MMMM.

In Mexico, you can buy fresh salted chips on the street and they squeeze fresh lime and put hot sauce on them. One of my fave street snacks.

mpal2
07-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Flat Earth chips

They have several flavors. I tend to prefer the fruit ones like the peach or wild berry. They do have some veggie and cheese flavors.

http://www.taquitos.net/chips/FlatEarthVeggieCrispsWildBerry

milanessa
07-27-2010, 05:09 PM
They were real (not made with real hedgehogs of course :lol:) - I remember them from when I was a small child. Despite the novelty value, they never became popular and didn't last long.

:wideeyes: I remembered wrong. Not surprised they weren't popular except as a novelty item. :lol:

Southpaw
07-27-2010, 05:15 PM
In Maryland, we have Utz Crab Spice potato chips - these are not crab flavored - they just have the Old Bay style seasoning that we put on steamed crabs here. I love Old Bay on crabs, but not so much on potato chips.

As soon as I saw this thread the first thing that came to mind were those heinous Utz crab chips. I bought them in some truck stop and I thought my tongue was going to shrivel up, that's how salty they were. Painfully salty. Maybe I was just disappointed because I thought they would taste like crab, but I don't think so.

CynicElle
07-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Not that I risked trying them but from memory, the green curry chickpea chips sounded positively scary.

Those actually sound good to me.

And I know they're not potato chips, but I love the shrimp crackers I used to get at a local pho place.

slicekw
07-27-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm partial to Kettle Spicy Thai chips, although they're hard to find these days.

God, I love those. Try World Market, they usually have them.

In Yosemite, there were Kettle Honey Dijon ones that were very nice. My niece loved them and shared a few. I've never seen them anywhere else.

Kettle Chips seem to be the Ben&Jerry's of potato chips.

I've never found a chip or crisp with parmesan on it that I liked. It's either too sweet or too aged.

Ozzisk8tr
07-27-2010, 05:57 PM
The most awful ones I've tried are paint chips. They were hideous.

milanessa
07-27-2010, 06:43 PM
The most awful ones I've tried are paint chips. They were hideous.

:lol:

Until someone mentioned Kettle chips I'd forgotten about my favorite ones. I don't get there very often but if I take the back roads to St Augustine, just after passing through Spuds (yes, Spuds) is a farm in the winter potato growing section of Florida. They make wonderful crisps.

http://pureflorida.blogspot.com/2006/01/bull.html

LisaS
07-27-2010, 07:43 PM
When I was younger, this would have been late 70's or early 80's, Hostess made fruit flavored potato chips. I have no idea if they were only available in Canada. I remember trying them, but have no recall on if they tasted good or not.

We must be around the same age, I remember those as well it was the late 70's. There was cherry, orange and grape if I remember correctly. they didn't last long, and I am Canadian so not sure if they were only in Canada.

LisaS
07-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Hostess in Canada prior to the Frito Lay purchase used to have some strange flavours, Pizza, Hot Dog, BBQ Chicken and someone else mentioned Fries and Gravy

Rob
07-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Painfully salty. Maybe I was just disappointed because I thought they would taste like crab, but I don't think so.

I like really really salty but they are so salty with so much old bay that they almost taste dirty. I don't know anyone who really likes them.

GarrAarghHrumph
07-27-2010, 08:00 PM
:lol:

Until someone mentioned Kettle chips I'd forgotten about my favorite ones. I don't get there very often but if I take the back roads to St Augustine, just after passing through Spuds (yes, Spuds) is a farm in the winter potato growing section of Florida. They make wonderful crisps.

http://pureflorida.blogspot.com/2006/01/bull.html

I'll be in St. Augustine in two weeks, and I'll look for those chips.