PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Meier Nike Run Photoshoot

Pages : 1 2 [3]

loulou
08-04-2010, 08:40 PM
You're kidding, right? I'm assured that the majority of Americans are not prudes. There's a large sector of this nation that glorifies women like Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian, whose popularity both increased as a result of their sex tapes. Pamela Anderson sure isn't known because of her acting ability. Music videos, television shows, movies, and the internet glorify sex and the nude/semi-nude bodies of men and women. When our economy was doing better, the adult entertainment industry was one of, if not THE, most successful markets here. I believe there was a study on 60 minutes that estimated Americans spent somewhere around $10 billion a year on adult entertainment. And not to let myself be misunderstood, I of course am not implying that Sarah's ad is anywhere in the same spectrum as doing a sex tape because it clearly isn't. Another example is the enormously popular Old Spice ad with the half naked man . . . it's easily the company's most successful ad campaign ever!

I don't think it's a matter of being "prudes".
Adult entartainment certainly isn't for prudes, and certainly is well wide spread in the US, but it's also done in private.
What you see on regular television, on family shows, that air when kids are still fooling around; what you see on ads on tv, along the highway, on street corners: those are the things that will show you what the national taste is. In my opinion.

I'll tell you that: in Italy, boobs and asses and allusive whispers, are used to sell like ANYTHING, from phones to washing mashines to cereals to banking services. AND, boobs and asses and allusive moves are in all family shows on tv. Rumors (well, more than just rumors) around italian prime minister (who owns/controls all italian television, bar very small exceptions) say he displays on tv what he likes in private. And his television has shaped italians' taste and minds for twenty years.

So yes, I believe there's a huge difference between Italy and the US in terms nudity/sex allusions usage.

---
After the 2006 olympics Fusar Poli & Margaglio's interview in a very popular show talks about what? Sex.
Four years later, Kostner & Boyfriend's interview to the same show talks about what? Guess.
Kostner's interview wasn't considered all that classy by everybody, and I think I remember people close to her defended her by saying: "you couldn't fully understand the spirit of the show". Which is true, but not because those people wouldn't follow the show regularly, but because they just have a different culture. IMO.
---

That said, I don't believe this applies to all european countries (to some though).

Personally, I don't think Meier's photos were tasteless or in any way voulgar. But the nude part was also totally uncessary, and because they were focused on finding the riht pose that would hide the right part, the shoots eneded up forced, not smooth and natural, and kinda boring.