PDA

View Full Version : Kindle or Nook?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Prancer
02-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Resurrecting this thread because we were talking about borrowing library books on e-readers here and I thought people who were interested in doing so might want to be aware of this:

Macmillan refuses to allow its digital books to be lent in the library. Apparently Simon & Schuster is the same way and won’t allow its titles to be lent digitally through the library.

Today news has come out that HarperCollins will now institute library lending caps.

Oh! and the publishers want to look at the library patron data to see if the library is actually observing territorial and geographic restrictions.

http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2011/02/25/friday-alert-harpercollins-in-cagematch-with-macmillan-to-see-who-can-alienate-readers-better/

Some discussion of what this means for most libraries: http://librarianinblack.net/librarianinblack/2011/02/ebookrevolution.html

Lara
02-25-2011, 11:15 PM
Grrr. Oh well. I got a Nook because it could take my old eReader.com collection from my Palm days. And I preferred supporting B&N over Amazon, especially given recent news. The library books would have only been a bonus.

Prancer
02-26-2011, 12:32 AM
Grrr. Oh well. I got a Nook because it could take my old eReader.com collection from my Palm days. And I preferred supporting B&N over Amazon, especially given recent news. The library books would have only been a bonus.

You can still get library e-books--I have four of them checked out at the moment--but your selection will be more limited and the waiting lists will probably get longer.

I just read a blog rant from an author who is not at all happy about this; he says that it's already way too easy for people to just steal e-books and actions like this will just encourage that. And he's probably right. I read on another author's site that you could download more than 1000 publisher-quality e-books for free in less than 30 seconds from a pirate site. I tried it; you sure can. You have to have some know-how, but it's not at all hard.

I like authors and books; I deleted them all. But publishers really need to take a look at lessons learned from the music industry--make things to expensive or difficult and people will justify theft to themselves. Make things simple and cheap, and you may survive.

jlai
02-26-2011, 01:02 AM
I'd love to support some Chinese authors, artists and their ebooks and esongs, but the Chinese piracy problem is so rife it's tough for legitimate ebook or emusic to survive. e.g. It took me forrrrreeeevvvver to locate Chinese artists in Itune because I had to search five ways: the mandarin pronunciation, Cantonese pronunciation, simplified characters, traditional charaacters and then the romanized version of each dialect. :wall: I have to confess in cases like this, most of my friends won't bother buying--they'll resort to piracy. :(

Yeah, English ebooks and songs - much simpler to purchase and download. Much more viable business