PDA

View Full Version : Kindle or Nook?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Prancer
02-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Isn't that from Borders? I haven't heard anything about the reader specifically, but I had heard that Borders was very much in trouble these days ... so people who buy a Kobo through Borders risk getting a machine with no support.

Kobo is actually a Canadian device. Borders kind of adopted it in the US, but it isn't tied to their stores and can be used with other bookstores and other downloadable books.

Kobo is a very basic reader; it doesn't do anything but read, and since it doesn't have 3G or WiFi, you can't download books directly to the device. It comes preloaded with 100 books and can hold about 1000 books total (about a third of what the big names hold, but how many books does one need to carry around?). It has an e-ink screen and is easy on the eyes. Some people have experienced "burn in" on the screen if they've left the screen on too long, as there is no screensaver capability.

The Kobo is a nice little reader if all you want is a very plain reader, but it was two other drawbacks besides the download issue--the response time tends to be slow, which annoys a lot of people, and software upgrades are kind of a PITA to do. It used to be that its big draw was price, but now there are other readers in its price range that offer more features, so Kobo has lost a lot of its market, but it's still not a bad deal for a plain reader.

jlai
02-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Here's a link with a description of the big three: http://www.suite101.com/content/ereaders-for-kids-which-device-has-the-best-dictionary-feature-a329044

With the Nook Color, you press and hold on the word you want defined. A Text Selection toolbar pops up. You tap Look Up on the toolbar, and the definition appears.

I think they mostly work the same general way--touchscreens work essentially like the Nook Color, non-touchscreens work like the Kindle.

Ah, sounds like the Sony ereader works best for me with a stylus. Do you know it's backlit?

JasperBoy
02-02-2011, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the info about Kobo, Prancer.

Mr JB is interested in an ereader, but can't decide which one to get. Your earlier link will help a lot.

Wyliefan
02-03-2011, 03:34 PM
I ordered the Kindle 3G this morning. It's a little more than I wanted to pay (that groaning sound you hear is my credit card :) ), but other family members are going to pony up for part of it, so that'll help. I think she'll really enjoy it. Thanks, all.

Prancer
02-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Ah, sounds like the Sony ereader works best for me with a stylus. Do you know it's backlit?

Sony uses e-ink so it doesn't have the backlighting issue.

Basically, if a device uses e-ink, it won't have backlighting. If it has color, it will.

Yehudi
02-03-2011, 08:07 PM
I have an ipad and I use the free Nook, Kindle, and Kobo apps, as well as an Ibook app. It came in very handy when I was studying for the GMAT. The hard copy of the Manhattan GMAT books was $24. I could by a kindle version for more than half that plus I didn't have to carry all the books around when I had to travel. I also used ibook for the pirated versions of a bunch of other review books. :slinkaway

nubka
02-03-2011, 08:56 PM
I like traditional books with pages that I can turn. I hope they don't become obsolete someday... :shuffle:

modern_muslimah
02-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Nope, no contacts there. But the library card for out-of-staters is listed here: http://libwww.freelibrary.org/register/getcard1.cfm so that part of it is true, at least.

Thanks! :)

I wonder if we'll eventually get an e-reader/tablet that combines e-ink and LCD. I kinda want to get a Nook color because it functions in a lot of ways like a tablet but I know my eyes will get strained looking at a LCD screen after a while. I would primarily use an e-reader to read but I'm sure it's nice to have all those other features too.

VIETgrlTerifa
02-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks! :)

I wonder if we'll eventually get an e-reader/tablet that combines e-ink and LCD. I kinda want to get a Nook color because it functions in a lot of ways like a tablet but I know my eyes will get strained looking at a LCD screen after a while. I would primarily use an e-reader to read but I'm sure it's nice to have all those other features too.

That's one of the reasons why I chose a Nook over a Nook color. I got the Wifi-only model because I don't really see myself utilizing the 3G too much to justify spending an extra $50. I won't ever be in a situation where I desperately have to download a title in a place that has no Wifi and I'll just download my books at home or wait until I go into a coffee shop or even a McDonald's. For me, I already have an ipod touch and a macbook. I don't need another tablet.

redonthehead
02-04-2011, 01:27 AM
Daughter has a Nook and she loves it! I didn't buy the color because I didn't think she would use it much except to get her text books. But she has and now she carries it everywhere!

Matryeshka
02-04-2011, 01:46 AM
I have a Kindle, and it is my precccciousssss. I think probably no matter which one you pick, you grow to love it. It gives you BOOKS. What could be better? :swoon:

I like traditional books with pages that I can turn. I hope they don't become obsolete someday... :shuffle:

I still like traditional books with pages I can turn too. If I really like a book, I'll buy the physical copy.

But like any convert, I *have* to proslityze to the non-believers. NOTHING gets me going like someone who doesn't want an ereader:

You don't have to leave your house to get a book
It's easier to travel with an eReader than bringing a bunch of books along
It saves space in your house
If you read the first in a series, you can get the next one instantly
Can't sleep at 3am and you REALLY want a book--you can get one!
Embarrassed about your books that feature naked pirates or talking cats? No one has to know you read them!

Wyliefan, I'm a substitute teacher and I've had the same experience. Even boys that don't read are fascinated by a Kindle! They can download their SCHOOL BOOKS ON IT. Because you know if you read it on a computer screen, the book is so much better. :rofl:

judiz
02-04-2011, 02:36 AM
I have to say that since getting the kindle, I have been introduced to many authors whose books I wouldn't look at in the book store.

Prancer
02-05-2011, 07:14 PM
I kinda want to get a Nook color because it functions in a lot of ways like a tablet but I know my eyes will get strained looking at a LCD screen after a while. I would primarily use an e-reader to read but I'm sure it's nice to have all those other features too.

The screen doesn't bother me at all. The first thing I did when I got my Nook Color was turn down the backlighting. I know it bothers some people, but I can read for hours without any trouble at all.

I also like the tablet feature because the Nook is so small, relatively. I can throw it in my purse and haul it around and use it anywhere. You can't do that with a laptop or even an iPad.

Embarrassed about your books that feature naked pirates or talking cats? No one has to know you read them!

LOL! I read that when libraries went to self-check, the number of romance novels being checked out soared. And I just read a couple of weeks ago that the same thing has happened with e-readers--e-romance novel sales are booming.

I have to say that since getting the kindle, I have been introduced to many authors whose books I wouldn't look at in the book store.

Yes, one of the things I have really liked about my Nook is this:

I read a book.
I log on to B&N.
B&N says "This is recommended just for you."
I eye recommendation suspiciously, read the blurb, purse lips, eye picture of book cover suspiciously again.
I download a sample (one of the BEST things about having an e-reader)
I buy book.

The Nook KNOWS what I like. :slinkaway.

Reuven
02-05-2011, 11:54 PM
I have a Kindle, and Mrs.Reuven has an Literati. I prefer the E-Ink, it looks more like paper. But the one thing we both like is the ability to get a bunch of classics we like for free!

Simone411
02-06-2011, 03:42 AM
I got the Kindle application (free) on my laptop from Amazon.com when I started purchasing e-books from there. I love it because I usually take my laptop wherever I go.

I also find free e-books from Project Gutenberg. The e-books can be downloaded to my laptop in PDF format or for Kindle. The e-books can also be downloaded to read on iPad, Sony Reader, Android, etc.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page