PDA

View Full Version : Shizuka Arakawa & Friends on Ice (incl. e.g. Evan)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Jaana
07-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Info about this event is already posted on the Evan thread, but I wanted to share this info on GSD forum also (got the permission from aymkjb88):

Tickets of the 4 shows on 8/28 and 8/29 are SOLD OUT, due to the high demanding, one more show is added on 8/27.

Schedule:

8/27: 18:30
8/28: 1st: 12:30; 2nd: 16:30
8/29: 1st: 12:30; 2nd: 16:30

Official website: http://www.friendsonice.com/

Cast: http://www.friendsonice.com/profile/

Is anyone here going to one of these shows? Just looking forward to reviews, please...

midori
07-25-2010, 01:05 AM
The broadcast is scheduled in September:
http://www.nitteleplus.com/foi_2010.html

Willowway
07-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks Midori, that's good to know. Ilia has told the Krew that he's very much looking forward to this.

Jaana
07-26-2010, 05:58 PM
The broadcast is scheduled in September:
http://www.nitteleplus.com/foi_2010.html

Thanks so much for this wonderful info, Midori! Looking forward to some reports from live events, too...

Meredith
07-27-2010, 12:24 PM
It's no surprise this event is sold out with its cast. It delights me to see that Asian people continue to support skating in the way they have. I'm looking forward to first-hand reports of the show.

mmot
07-27-2010, 01:17 PM
According to a newspaper column written by Shizuka, the group number will be put together and choreographed by Daisuke Takahashi. How so exciting!

Satellitegirl
07-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Very cool :)

MikiAndoFan#1
07-29-2010, 01:40 AM
It's rumoured that Miki will be in this show, too.

:cheer:

Meredith
07-29-2010, 04:54 AM
According to a newspaper column written by Shizuka, the group number will be put together and choreographed by Daisuke Takahashi. How so exciting!

Really! He impresses me more with everything I see and read about him.

mmot
07-29-2010, 07:56 AM
I summarised it, but Shizuka also wrote about her show;

She decides who to invite to appear in the show and makes offers directly herself.
She also directs, decides the order of appearances and what food to offer at the backstage, and be a MC.
It's because she wants the show to feel like an annual reunion among the participating skaters, and would like them all to feel they actively contribute to the making of the show.
She chooses and asks different skaters to choreograph the opening and group numbers and finale. It costs more than using one choreographer to do all of them like other shows, but it's worth it as the audience can enjoy the different 'personalities' in group numbers in one show.
Often, it makes it easier for the skaters to throw in their own ideas when other guest skaters are choreographing, and it tends to improve the show.
She wants as many skaters as possible to have an opportunity to choreograph, so she asks different skaters each year. She chose Daisuke this year. She heard he's planning to do a Hip Hop number.
She publicly seeks a kid skater to appear in the show. This year, she is planning a group number with the kid skater and 4 former lady's world champions, who are also participating the show.
She organises dinner every night for the skaters to encourage 'off the ice' bonding and networking. It is not mandatory but everyone comes.
This is the 5th year for the show and there will be the third consecutive appearance by Evan Lysacek and Pang / Tong this year, and Daisuke is a regular from the very first. All of them medalled in Vancouver. She hopes joining her show somehow influenced them positively, even a tiny bit, for their success the last season.

No wonder it is called 'Friends on Ice'!

It's a real shame I cannot go as I live on the other side of the globe, but will patiently await TV broadcasting and hopefully some clips will appear on youtube, etc...

Jaana
07-29-2010, 08:06 AM
Mmot, thanks so much for those details! WOW, it is really impressive how much work Shizuka herself puts on to the show... Yes, the Shizuka Arakawa & Friends on Ice -show has a totally fitting name.

Loves_Shizuka
07-29-2010, 09:09 AM
I summarised it, but Shizuka also wrote about her show;

She decides who to invite to appear in the show and makes offers directly herself.
She also directs, decides the order of appearances and what food to offer at the backstage, and be a MC.
It's because she wants the show to feel like an annual reunion among the participating skaters, and would like them all to feel they actively contribute to the making of the show.
She chooses and asks different skaters to choreograph the opening and group numbers and finale. It costs more than using one choreographer to do all of them like other shows, but it's worth it as the audience can enjoy the different 'personalities' in group numbers in one show.
Often, it makes it easier for the skaters to throw in their own ideas when other guest skaters are choreographing, and it tends to improve the show.
She wants as many skaters as possible to have an opportunity to choreograph, so she asks different skaters each year. She chose Daisuke this year. She heard he's planning to do a Hip Hop number.
She publicly seeks a kid skater to appear in the show. This year, she is planning a group number with the kid skater and 4 former lady's world champions, who are also participating the show.
She organises dinner every night for the skaters to encourage 'off the ice' bonding and networking. It is not mandatory but everyone comes.
This is the 5th year for the show and there will be the third consecutive appearance by Evan Lysacek and Pang / Tong this year, and Daisuke is a regular from the very first. All of them medalled in Vancouver. She hopes joining her show somehow influenced them positively, even a tiny bit, for their success the last season.

WOW, this is great to hear. Thanks mmot! :D

mmot
07-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Jaana and Loves_Shizuka,

No problem!

Interestingly, Shizuka said after winning the Gold at Torino, winning OGM was not the end in itself for her; she wanted it as a 'ticket' to be a successful professional skater and to help open up opportunities for Japanese skaters, who retired from competitive skating. She reckons popularity in both competitive skating and ice shows is vital for the long-lasting popularity of figure skating in Japan. In the future if not that many Japanese figure skaters are successful in competitions, popularity of the shows and pro skaters will help keep the sport going. Also having a career opportunity to continue skating as a professional will encourage more people to take up figure skating, even tough retirement age is relatively young compare to other sports.

She impresses me a lot with her intelligence, clear vision, endeavour and ability to make things happen.

MikiAndoFan#1
07-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Miki's confirmed to participate!

:cheer2:

CynicElle
07-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Wow. Really jealous of anyone who gets to see this show, and it's great to hear how hands-on and supportive Shizuka is. I miss Divakawa!