PDA

View Full Version : Shizuka Arakawa & Friends on Ice (incl. e.g. Evan)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

mmot
08-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Ilia has done hip-hop on ice and is darn good at it! I'm looking forward to it also. Sounds like fun.

Oh, I am terribly sorry! I have not been following what he's been up, I was not aware... But the fact he's good at it makes it even more exciting! Thanks for letting me know.

Anyway, another piece of info, which I believe has not been revealed here;

Shizuka usually debuts her new programme at FOI, and this year, it is rumoured to be choreographed by David Wilson. According to her tweet, she went to Korea for choreographing a programme, while David was there for Yu-na's show, All That Skate. (I saw a video posted on the web by Korean fan, but not sure if I am allowed to provide a link here - sorry.)

ponta1
08-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Shizuka is one of the laziest Olympic champion. After she won the gold, she decided her job was done and she doesn't have to work hard anymore. But being an OGM or any OM IS a job. She took part in some exhibitions occasionally, mainly in Japan and the rest of her time she worked for television. This work does not require everyday training in a gym and on the ice. You don't need to be an OGM to work for TV. I can work TV. Unlike other OG medalists (look at Plush's schedule) she chose the easiest way. She was beautiful in Torino and deserved to win but what she did after was a lazy lazy lazy thing.:o

:rolleyes:

blue_idealist
08-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Olympic champions can do whatever they want. There's no rule that says they have to do certain media stuff after they win the OGM, or even keep skating. Just a thought, maybe it's exhausting to work so hard for the Olympic gold and they deserve a break?!

indicatoto101
08-17-2010, 10:39 PM
She's a professional and doesn't need to work out full time at the gym and rink. At least she's taking time to develop enjoyable skating shows. If I won the lottery, I wouldn't want to continue grinding at work.

Loves_Shizuka
08-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Not sure I could call someone who's trained and dedicated most of their life to successfully achieve their goals, who's trying so hard to develop their sport in their country, and who earned a degree WHILST training and competing, lazy... How... odd. Does Shiz have to be in the gym everyday (and how on earth do you know she isn't?) and skating in every show going, to earn respect? If so, it's a sad world. Of course, I'd forgotten that many skating "fans" think that OGMs owe their entire life to the sport and its fanbase once they've retired. I guess that's why so many people still have the knives out for Hughes and Lipinski. :rolleyes:

Comically sad.

Did I miss something?

...the post above yours?? :confused:

mmot
08-18-2010, 12:24 AM
Wish you all could read Shizuka's tweets - she always starts a day by saying she's off to the rink to practice around 7am, and often ends her day with another practice session finishing nearly midnight.

This year, she has already skated in 7 different series of ice shows in Japan and 4 more coming. She's producing one of them, as we have been talking about in this thread. She was one of the main reporters for Japanese TV for both the Olympics and the Worlds, reporting live from Vancouver and Turin, covering not only figure skating, but other major evens in Vancouver (for the evening shows in Japan - think about time differences!), and in between these competitions, she appeared in Thin Ice, for which she was practising everyday in Vancouver - Jeremy Ten tweeted that he saw her practice in his home rink. She has appeared in a number of lectures and talk shows all over Japan, and is writing a regular column in Japanese newspaper. Ah! She also published a book this year, a kind of introduction to figure skating...

Phew! If that's a typical life after the OGM, I am not sure if I'd fancy one myself! ;)

galaxy
08-18-2010, 08:18 AM
I hear Shizuka always carries her skates with her everywhere she goes so that she can go to ice rinks for practice whenever she has spare time.
I read in her interview in a magazine that during her stay in Beijing for the jobs of a TV reporter of the Beijing Olympics, she went to an ice rink to practice nearly every day. Her friends in China Pang/Tong had arranged a rink for her so that she could practice and although they couldn't come to meet her because they were training in Harbin, Dan Fang came instead of them to visit and say hello to her. It was so sweet to read how greatly Shizuka appreciated Pang/Tong's friendship, help and support. There was a cute picture of Shizuka making a pose in front of Pang/Tong's poster.:)

Japanfan
08-18-2010, 12:31 PM
I guess that's why so many people still have the knives out for Hughes and Lipinski. :rolleyes:

Hughes is/went to Harvard, no?

Lipinski had a few bit parts acting and did some shopping, SFAIK.

let`s talk
08-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Not sure I could call someone who's trained and dedicated most of their life to successfully achieve their goals, who's trying so hard to develop their sport in their country, and who earned a degree WHILST training and competing, lazy... You missed the point. Not what she did before and during Olympics. But what she did after. She should have worked harder. Yes, technically skaters have no legal obligations to skate and take part in shows after they won the Olympics. They are free to do what they want. In theory. In practice to be an OGM is a huge responsibility. And don't forget that the OGM is money, inculding money from advertizers. They normally pay only if the skater is active and as the result still popular. That money was lost and that OGM was wasted, at least for advertising business. Mao is more on TV commercials in Japan than Shizuka was and is.
f course, I'd forgotten that many skating "fans" think that OGMs owe their entire life to the sport and its fanbase once they've retired. The OGMs got their medals thanks to fans. I mean fan support is a huge factor in their Olympic winning. Why not to pay fans some more respect and just work hard or at least harder?
I guess that's why so many people still have the knives out for Hughes and Lipinski.
Good point. Never liked both of them. Champions for one day. And now they are :watch:

wonderlen
08-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Shizuka is one of the laziest Olympic champion. After she won the gold, she decided her job was done and she doesn't have to work hard anymore. But being an OGM or any OM IS a job. She took part in some exhibitions occasionally, mainly in Japan and the rest of her time she worked for television. This work does not require everyday training in a gym and on the ice. You don't need to be an OGM to work for TV. I can work TV. Unlike other OG medalists (look at Plush's schedule) she chose the easiest way. She was beautiful in Torino and deserved to win but what she did after was a lazy lazy lazy thing.:o

I'm sure she is very LAZZYYYY!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Name, how many female can routinely throw triple-triple jump in the skating show???

Loves_Shizuka
08-18-2010, 09:39 PM
*Sigh*

AJ Skatefan
08-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Not sure I could call someone who's trained and dedicated most of their life to successfully achieve their goals, who's trying so hard to develop their sport in their country, and who earned a degree WHILST training and competing, lazy... How... odd. Does Shiz have to be in the gym everyday (and how on earth do you know she isn't?) and skating in every show going, to earn respect? If so, it's a sad world. Of course, I'd forgotten that many skating "fans" think that OGMs owe their entire life to the sport and its fanbase once they've retired. I guess that's why so many people still have the knives out for Hughes and Lipinski. :rolleyes:

Comically sad.

...the post above yours?? :confused:

Gee, we all should be that lazy!

YukiNieve
08-19-2010, 12:37 AM
I recently talked with a former Olympic-level skater who is now a coach. He just saw Shizuka and he was truly impressed how good shape she still is in. She can routinely jump 3-3 and 2A-3.

And if you've ever wondered, I think Shizuka is one of the very reasons why figure skating has become so popular in Japan. It is not just because she got OGM. She creates her own shows (and creating a show is not an easy work at all), appearing often on TV to bring figure skating much closer to average audience with her commentating and interviewing jobs.

After becoming the OG medalist, she could have sit back and relaxed and just earned money with endorsements, but that is not what she has been doing. Of course she is not the only reason why figure skating is so popular in Japan, but she surely helps people to get constant exposure with the sport and that is what matters to keep general people interested.

Willowway
08-19-2010, 01:18 AM
Japanfan - just to follow up on your question. Sarah Hughes went to Yale; her sister Emily attends Harvard. They are a very bright, academically successful family.

RunnersHigh
08-19-2010, 01:28 AM
:blah: ,again. :drama: