PDA

View Full Version : Shizuka Arakawa & Friends on Ice (incl. e.g. Evan)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

aymkjb88
07-30-2010, 05:52 PM
I summarised it, but Shizuka also wrote about her show;

She decides who to invite to appear in the show and makes offers directly herself.
She also directs, decides the order of appearances and what food to offer at the backstage, and be a MC.
It's because she wants the show to feel like an annual reunion among the participating skaters, and would like them all to feel they actively contribute to the making of the show.
She chooses and asks different skaters to choreograph the opening and group numbers and finale. It costs more than using one choreographer to do all of them like other shows, but it's worth it as the audience can enjoy the different 'personalities' in group numbers in one show.
Often, it makes it easier for the skaters to throw in their own ideas when other guest skaters are choreographing, and it tends to improve the show.
She wants as many skaters as possible to have an opportunity to choreograph, so she asks different skaters each year. She chose Daisuke this year. She heard he's planning to do a Hip Hop number.
She publicly seeks a kid skater to appear in the show. This year, she is planning a group number with the kid skater and 4 former lady's world champions, who are also participating the show.
She organises dinner every night for the skaters to encourage 'off the ice' bonding and networking. It is not mandatory but everyone comes.
This is the 5th year for the show and there will be the third consecutive appearance by Evan Lysacek and Pang / Tong this year, and Daisuke is a regular from the very first. All of them medalled in Vancouver. She hopes joining her show somehow influenced them positively, even a tiny bit, for their success the last season.

No wonder it is called 'Friends on Ice'!

Thanks mmot for the nice translation!

Friends on Ice is one of my favorite skating shows, love the creativity of the choreography, the close bonding of the skaters and the passion and happiness projected from each and every performance. Good for Shizuka and the cast, wish it a great success! :respec:

Jaana, thank you for starting this thread, looking forward to hearing more news of the show! :cheer2:

yukky
08-01-2010, 01:30 AM
>she is planning a group number with the kid skater and 4 former lady's world champions,

I was looking at names of cast..and wondering,

Shizuka,Miki,Yuka are three and who is the 4th one?

MikiAndoFan#1
08-01-2010, 01:34 AM
Shizuka,Miki,Yuka are three and who is the 4th one?

It's probably Shae-Lynn Bourne.

:cheer2:

midori
08-01-2010, 06:43 AM

It can be Qing Pang. Or there may be a surprise guest?? :cool::rollin:

Loves_Shizuka
08-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Interestingly, Shizuka said after winning the Gold at Torino, winning OGM was not the end in itself for her; she wanted it as a 'ticket' to be a successful professional skater and to help open up opportunities for Japanese skaters, who retired from competitive skating. She reckons popularity in both competitive skating and ice shows is vital for the long-lasting popularity of figure skating in Japan. In the future if not that many Japanese figure skaters are successful in competitions, popularity of the shows and pro skaters will help keep the sport going. Also having a career opportunity to continue skating as a professional will encourage more people to take up figure skating, even tough retirement age is relatively young compare to other sports.

She impresses me a lot with her intelligence, clear vision, endeavour and ability to make things happen.

Love to read this; arigatou gozaimasu! Personally feel it's fantastic how much Shizuka is doing for the sport, especially in Japan. I love her attitude about her skating; I was so impressed when I heard her say, AFTER winning the OGM, that she learnt so much from other, far less accomplsihed skaters (like Rosenthal) in skating shows in the States. She said just because she's retired, doesn't mean she's stopped trying to be a better skater and performer and doesn't mean she can't still keep learning from all those around her. I hope she can go on as long as she wishes. :D

mmot
08-16-2010, 10:05 PM
For those who are interested... a bit more info on the group number for the show, which Daisuke is in charge of creating.

According to a regular (monthly?) column he writes in Sankei Express newspaper, the number he's in charge is for male skaters. It is a hip hop number and he is trying to create something which has different kind of 'cool' from what you normally see in figure skating, but at the same time, something that can be done only on the ice with skates on, not on the ground. That was the most difficult part of the job.
He says he is not good at choreographing, so he asked his dancer friend to help choreograph and put together music.

Anyway, it will be sooooooo interesting to see Evan, Ilia, Jian Tong and Takeshi Honda dancing to hip hop, won't it?

BTW, my all time favourite is this opening number done like a littel musical piece back in 2008, created by Kenji Miyamoto (he is the Phantom appears at the beginning). :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SenoCRS0QbA

sarah009
08-17-2010, 01:41 AM
BTW, my all time favourite is this opening number done like a littel musical piece back in 2008, created by Kenji Miyamoto (he is the Phantom appears at the beginning). :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SenoCRS0QbA

Wow, beautiful double ina bauer at 1:50 !!:)

Willowway
08-17-2010, 02:53 AM
Ilia has done hip-hop on ice and is darn good at it! I'm looking forward to it also. Sounds like fun.

galaxy
08-17-2010, 10:23 AM

Wait.
Miki and Shae-Lynn Bourne together?
Hmmmmm.....

MikiAndoFan#1
08-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Wait.
Miki and Shae-Lynn Bourne together?
Hmmmmm.....

I don't see anything wrong with that.

;)

let`s talk
08-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Shizuka is one of the laziest Olympic champion. After she won the gold, she decided her job was done and she doesn't have to work hard anymore. But being an OGM or any OM IS a job. She took part in some exhibitions occasionally, mainly in Japan and the rest of her time she worked for television. This work does not require everyday training in a gym and on the ice. You don't need to be an OGM to work for TV. I can work TV. Unlike other OG medalists (look at Plush's schedule) she chose the easiest way. She was beautiful in Torino and deserved to win but what she did after was a lazy lazy lazy thing.:o

RunnersHigh
08-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Shizuka is one of the laziest Olympic champion. After she won the gold, she decided her job was done and she doesn't have to work hard anymore. But being an OGM or any OM IS a job. She took part in some exhibitions occasionally, mainly in Japan and the rest of her time she worked for television. This work does not require everyday training in a gym and on the ice. You don't need to be an OGM to work for TV. I can work TV. Unlike other OG medalists (look at Plush's schedule) she chose the easiest way. She was beautiful in Torino and deserved to win but what she did after was a lazy lazy lazy thing.:o

:confused: All those were not that easy as you guess.
And Why OGM lady has to be busy? Were both Sarah and Tara busy after being OGM??

Loves_Shizuka
08-17-2010, 01:54 PM
I wheezed a little.

:rofl:

RunnersHigh
08-17-2010, 02:00 PM
I wheezed a little.

:rofl:

Did I miss something?

query5
08-17-2010, 05:36 PM
thanks for the info on who gets on. i honestly thought someone else picked the skaters.
i was wondering why so few top ladies,
jealousy no--i hope not but i do fear like all top ladies -some kind of "ego" .
i mean they don't want to be ursurp by another ogm or another medalist or can't handle more appalause for one female skater than another
or quite possible the skaters themselves of who to put in order of finish with the women.
it is easier for her.

also does she tell them how much to get paid. i can't possible think she would.

returning same skaters year after year can get kinda of boring.
but otherwise sounds like a great cast.
great show coming up.
congrats to all who see it.