PDA

View Full Version : Movies that look stupid but turn out good.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

bek
07-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Last night I went to redbox and rented Bandslam, thinking I'd probably hate it but maybe it would have something interesting. I was quite shocked to find that I really enjoyed the movie. The movie has a very John Hughes/Cameron Crowe feel to it. And the music acclaims people like David Bowie, Clash etc.

I was shocked to learn this movie was marketed as a High School Musical rip of when the movie couldn't be anything more different if it tried. There's I guess a realistic feel to the movie, in the sense that you feel like they are dealing with real teens, with real problems (but not necessarily what you would think over sex problems) but just problems that kids deal with. Its actually a pretty decent movie that I enjoyed.

jp1andonly
07-24-2010, 04:58 PM
Hot Tub Time machine was pretty funny. I thought the previews looked awful but I was wrong. I also enjoyed Get him to the Greek. It was tasteless, rude, crude, but so freakin funny.

Last night I went to redbox and rented Bandslam, thinking I'd probably hate it but maybe it would have something interesting. I was quite shocked to find that I really enjoyed the movie. The movie has a very John Hughes/Cameron Crowe feel to it. And the music acclaims people like David Bowie, Clash etc.

I was shocked to learn this movie was marketed as a High School Musical rip of when the movie couldn't be anything more different if it tried. There's I guess a realistic feel to the movie, in the sense that you feel like they are dealing with real teens, with real problems (but not necessarily what you would think over sex problems) but just problems that kids deal with. Its actually a pretty decent movie that I enjoyed.

genevieve
07-24-2010, 04:59 PM
I have really wanted to see Bandslam. Isn't one of the main actresses someone from HSM, or from a Nickelodeon show or something? I think that may have a lot to do with the perception of the film.

Matryeshka
07-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Yesterday, I was dragged to Salt. While I can see why it got some not-so-stellar reviews, I thoroughly enjoyed it. There were some annoying conventions that were left out, like no sticky love affair or wishy-washiness that usually comes with a female lead in an action movie. Angelina Jolie was kickin' ass and taking names, no apologies.

leesaleesa
07-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Hot Tub Time machine was pretty funny. I thought the previews looked awful but I was wrong

I second this. It sounded stupid, but it actually was entertaining from beginning to end. Having John Cusack star didn't hurt.

danceronice
07-24-2010, 05:34 PM
I second this. It sounded stupid, but it actually was entertaining from beginning to end. Having John Cusack star didn't hurt.

I keep hearing this, though it's SO hard to get past the title....

numbers123
07-24-2010, 07:52 PM
I am going the other direction. Because of all the hype - I thought Sideways would be good to see.

I strongly disliked it, it did not make sense and was very disappointing.

Now, I thought the Incredibles would be hokey, but I wanted some light entertainment. I loved that.

falling_dance
07-24-2010, 10:48 PM
When I first saw a trailer for The Big Lebowski on E!'s coming attractions, I thought it would be silly, too slight, and not at all to my taste. It turned out to be just one out of three and, since I first watched it in 2001, one of my all-time favorite movies.

Garden Kitty
07-24-2010, 11:00 PM
It was a while ago, but I recall enjoying Galaxy Quest even though it looks very silly.

KikiSashaFan
07-24-2010, 11:55 PM
The Hangover was way better than the previews made it look.

Integrity
07-24-2010, 11:56 PM
Because of all the hype - I thought Sideways would be good to see.

I strongly disliked it, it did not make sense and was very disappointing

I disliked it as well, watched it on a flight. When I mentioned not liking it to the man sitting next to me he made a comment like "well it's a very critically acclaimed movie and it's quite wonderful". Snobby little sh*t :P

skateycat
07-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Count me as a third person who didn't care for Sideways. I thought Paul Giamatti's character was such an unlikable little troll.

The other night there was nothing better on than Rockula (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100506/). The late '80s cheese was practically oozing out of the television set, but it was a fun little bit of Saturday night entertainment. My husband and I, who hardly ever agree on movies, both said this is a surprisingly enjoyable movie.

We both spotted Bo Diddley in the movie, but looking up that IMDB link, I now see that Thomas Dolby and Toni Basil played two of the main characters. What a hoot!

paskatefan
07-25-2010, 12:35 AM
Babe - I thought the premise of it with talking animals sounded ridiculous in the trailer. But we saw it, and loved it!

HeatherC
07-25-2010, 02:48 AM
It was a while ago, but I recall enjoying Galaxy Quest even though it looks very silly.

I thought that was a great movie too. It surprised me how enjoyable it was and I think that was mainly from the cast. Tim Allen and Sigourney Weaver specifically were really good. :)

I remember thinking that Coyote Ugly looked like a movie I would never see (dancing girls in a bar is not my type of movie at all, LOL) but I saw it on TV one day when I was channel surfing and I actually enjoyed it. I didn't realize it actually had some semblance of a plot in it, LOL :lol:

rjblue
07-25-2010, 03:39 AM
I'm another one who was disappointed by Sideways but loved Galaxy Quest.

My first question to weed out people I probably won't have movies in common with- Have you seen Zoolander? If they give me a Blue Steel in reply, I know I'll enjoy the conversation.