PDA

View Full Version : What did the very strong skaters who never won Worlds have which prevented it

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

museksk8r
07-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Museksk8r, I saw that ;)

SSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! ;) :P

museksk8r
07-27-2010, 01:15 PM
The only one who beat an unclean Irina with her own unclean skate in any major event from 2000 to 2006 was Cohen in Turin.

Yes, Cohen was an even bigger judges' pet than Slutskaya was I think.

judgejudy27
07-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Yes, Cohen was an even bigger judges' pet than Slutskaya was I think.

I agree. Who else in history has won so many medals for fall performances. And skaters like Joannie had to work for anything they ever got from judges.

skateboy
07-28-2010, 06:29 AM
Nancy won '93 worlds.
No wait, you're right.
Nancy bombed the LP and Lu Chen won the first of 3 world titles (93, 95 & 96) for being the best skater at that event.
Nancy did get her revenge when she took the gold in Lillehammer and Lulu had to settle for silver.
:hat1:
that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

:rollin:

Indra486
07-29-2010, 03:56 AM
I agree. Who else in history has won so many medals for fall performances. And skaters like Joannie had to work for anything they ever got from judges.

Maybe not one particular skater, but a whole lot of skaters put together have been winning with falls post 2006. :P At this rate, I'm sure someone will beat Cohen at that. :D

Triple Butz
07-29-2010, 05:21 AM
I agree. Who else in history has won so many medals for fall performances.

Yuna Kim:
2005 jr Worlds, 2006 SC, 2007 Worlds, 2007/08 GPF, 2008 Worlds, 2008/09 GPF, 2009 4CC, 2009 SA, 2010 Worlds

miki88
07-29-2010, 05:27 AM
Maybe not one particular skater, but a whole lot of skaters put together have been winning with falls post 2006. :P At this rate, I'm sure someone will beat Cohen at that. :D

True. CoP doesn't penalize falls and sloppy performances nearly enough as it should be doing.

RumbleFish
07-29-2010, 06:06 AM
True. CoP doesn't penalize falls and sloppy performances nearly enough as it should be doing.

The most spectacular medal winning fall I can remember was gold medal winner of 08 Worlds crashing in to the board on her face after a failed cheat on her triple axel. :rolleyes:

Indra486
07-29-2010, 09:03 PM
The most spectacular medal winning fall I can remember was gold medal winner of 08 Worlds crashing in to the board on her face after a failed cheat on her triple axel. :rolleyes:

FFS, like she is the only skater to have won ANY TITLE with a fall in the last four years. :rolleyes:

bardtoob
07-29-2010, 10:43 PM
. . . but it was a rather spectacular fall . . . and I was tickled to death that Uncle Dick got to commentate one last time on the risk of the forward outside edge . . . and during a female 3A attempt, no less. I bet that in 1961 he never dreamed that he would see a female in 2008 fall on 3A attempt and still win World Figure Skating Championship having never done a compulsory figure :encore:

miki88
07-29-2010, 11:52 PM

She was penalized for that fall as she got no points. But based on your previous posts on this particular skater, it's not surprising that's the ONLY incident you'll remember. :rolleyes::o

RumbleFish
07-30-2010, 03:12 AM
All the skaters get negative GOEs and one point deduction for falls, as they are supposed to be under the rules.

Since you were complaining about skaters winning medals despite falls, I just brought up the most prominent case.
Why have you changed your view all of a sudden and think it's not a crime to fall as long as points are deducted?

I don't mind people being critical, but please at least try to be fair and objective.

screech
07-30-2010, 04:26 AM
Another talented one with no world or O's medals at all - Josee Chouinard. Her major issue: she didn't have a competitive mindset, but when she was on, she could hang out with the best of them.

judgejudy27
07-30-2010, 05:42 AM
I dont think Josee was ever World Champions material really though, atleast not in the judges eyes. At the 93 Worlds she skated her best short program ever by far and was placed a distant 4th, almost 5th. At the 94 worlds she skated an even better short program than the 93 Worlds (her best ever was now 94 Canadians) and in a weak and depleted field missing Kerrigan, Baiul, and Chen, she was placed a distant 3rd behind Sato and Bonaly.

ponta1
07-30-2010, 05:29 PM
All the skaters get negative GOEs and one point deduction for falls, as they are supposed to be under the rules.

Since you were complaining about skaters winning medals despite falls, I just brought up the most prominent case.
Why have you changed your view all of a sudden and think it's not a crime to fall as long as points are deducted?

I don't mind people being critical, but please at least try to be fair and objective.

You aren't being very fair and objective yourself. You can call it a 'failed triple axel', but how can you say it was a 'failed cheat triple axel' if she fell before she even took off?