PDA

View Full Version : Mad Men Season 4 premier July 25

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

skatemomaz
07-23-2010, 05:08 AM
I am so psyched for season 4. T Lo have seen an advance screening and have a preview (http://tomandlorenzo2.blogspot.com/2010/07/we-got-screener-for-mad-men-premiere.html) :watch:

I've been re-watching the first 3 seasons over the past couple of weeks. I can't wait for Sunday.

Bostonfan
07-23-2010, 12:11 PM
I've got my DVR season pass all set up. Break out the martinis! :summer:

smurfy
07-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Can not wait. I love this show, everyone is great, but Jon Hamm is so cool.
I recently rewatched the last episode from last season. Evidence of a great show, rewatching it - it is even better.

olympic
07-23-2010, 05:44 PM
So, they are going to jump ahead to late 1964. Hmmm. Maybe I will have my dream realized of watching the cast change through the tumultuous 1960s. I'm dying to see what they would do with the cast by 1970 :)

Civic
07-23-2010, 09:17 PM
What were Betty Draper's plans at the end of last season? I know she left Don for that politician but did he (the politician) ask her to marry him?

olympic
07-23-2010, 10:18 PM
What were Betty Draper's plans at the end of last season? I know she left Don for that politician but did he (the politician) ask her to marry him?

I think he proposed to her....BTW, isn't that politician an aide to Gov. Rockefeller?

nalgene
07-23-2010, 11:45 PM

I think he asked her but did she verbally say yes? I last scene Betty was in showed her on the plane with Henry and the newborn.

Can't wait for Sunday!

Bostonfan
07-24-2010, 03:10 AM
They were headed towards Reno to get the quicky divorce. If the show is leaping ahead in time, then we'll learn pretty quickly if they got married.

Hoping to see a lot more of Roger this season!

Sylvia
07-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Wheeee, just a few more hours to wait! :cool:

smurfy
07-26-2010, 04:49 AM
Great episode, setting things up for what I hope is a great season. Roger had some great lines as always. He just cracks me up. The lack of a conference table is funny.
Wonder how long Betty will be with Henry?? Are they married? Did I miss something relating to that. Seems like Betty would worry about appearances, things were so different back then.

Bostonfan
07-26-2010, 12:56 PM
They're married. She was quite insistent about not sleeping with him until they were married. I loved the metaphor of her shoving sweet potatoes in Sally's mouth as a way of forcing her daughter to accept the new arrangement. Poor Sally. She's going to need YEARS of therapy.

I love that Roger wants to have a drink at the restaurant and Pete tells him there's no time for it. Roger is actually having to work, poor thing. He's still my favorite. Clearly the shine is off his marriage to Jane. I got the sense that he was dying to go back to the kind of "two guys out on the town picking up the ladies" relationship with Don. Thanksgiving was probably a nightmare for Roger and the only bright spot would have been sharing the misery with Don over cigarettes and port.

Love Peggy's new look and confidence. (Although I didn't get the whole "John" "Marsha" thing at all). Hope to see more of Joan. I LOL when she promised not to tell anyone about Harry getting ABC to do a jai alai special "even after it's aired". HA!

The whole Don/Hooker slapping incident left me squirming. He's punishing himself for sure. But it's not clear to me what he wants. Is he hesitant to push the passive-aggressive Betty out of the house because he risks her ratting on him about being Dick Whitman? Or is it because he wants things back the way they were? Great comeback by the way at the house: "Believe me Henry, everyone thinks this is temporary". SCORE!

olympic
07-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Great episode. Although I found myself having to visually re-adjust to a different office and atmosphere.

Did anyone notice the sign-o-the-times shift in this episode? It is now late '64 and the furniture/ladies' apparel/men's ties are all slightly more colorful? As the 60s progressed, colors became less staid in everyday life.

I do want to see more of the outside political world of the mid-60s bleeding into SC.

Yazmeen
07-26-2010, 06:05 PM
You have to be a certain "age" to get "John and Marsha." :lol: It was an early sixties recording by comedian Stan Freberg. It was meant to parody the banality of dialogue in soap operas. Freberg played both parts: the entire recording is just the two characters addressing each other by name but with different emotions attached to the pronunciation of the names (happiness, tears, etc.). It probably sounds stupid these days, but it was wickedly funny back then!!! You could probably compare him to Wierd Al - he did a lot of terrific parodies.

Wyliefan
07-26-2010, 06:07 PM
I remember that and I wasn't born till 1975. :) I think that shows and ads were still using that parody when I came along.

topaz
07-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Interesting stuff from the premiere. Loved Peggy's new hairdo, it was so becoming of her.

Pete- he really seemed to be in his element. He's is smooth.

Joan - Love Joannie. But did anyone else catch the way her desk is positioned in the office. I thought it was very telling. Also, I wonder if Joannie's husband is still in Vietnam.

Don - Don's behavior was....more honest and angry. I loved how he called out the bathing suit guys, they were prudes and he was tired of those kinds of clients. The agency is getting ready to get very cutting edge in my opinion. Its like he wants to get punished(aka the hooker and slapping him). However, nothing changed much regarding his interaction with the kids, that was sad to see. I have the feeling that their daughter(can't remember her name) is gonna request living with Don.

Betty - I don't think this guy is gonna stick with Betty. Betty seems to be still unfilled.