PDA

View Full Version : Cheerleading ruled not a sport:

DickButtonFan
07-22-2010, 08:40 PM
http://www.vancouversun.com/mobile/iphone/story.html?id=3310191

IceKween
07-22-2010, 09:01 PM
(UPFRONT< MY COMPUTER IS STUCK ON CAPS LOCK SO I CANNOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT ALL CAPS AND AM VERY SORRY)

CHEERLEADING< WELL COMPETITIVE CHEER IS MOST DEF A SPORT> I DID IT FOR ONE YEAR AND I HAD TO WORK OUT AND TRAIN AND WORK ON MY GYMN TO BE PASSABLE> THIS IS BS> I NEVER HELD A POM POM AND MOST OF THE TIME NEITHER DID ANYONE ELSE> CHEERING IS A SPORT IMO> SHAME ON THEM>

DickButtonFan
07-22-2010, 09:06 PM
(UPFRONT< MY COMPUTER IS STUCK ON CAPS LOCK SO I CANNOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT ALL CAPS AND AM VERY SORRY)

CHEERLEADING< WELL COMPETITIVE CHEER IS MOST DEF A SPORT> I DID IT FOR ONE YEAR AND I HAD TO WORK OUT AND TRAIN AND WORK ON MY GYMN TO BE PASSABLE> THIS IS BS> I NEVER HELD A POM POM AND MOST OF THE TIME NEITHER DID ANYONE ELSE> CHEERING IS A SPORT IMO> SHAME ON THEM>

I agree, still cant believe curling is a sport.

genevieve
07-22-2010, 09:23 PM
This was a pretty clear case of a school trying to get around Title IX. The school in question was trying to eliminate the women's volleyball team, and was purporting that cheerleading would be a suitable replacement for female athletes.

Quinnipiac University in Connecticut announced in March last year that it was cutting the women's volleyball team to save money. That would have put it in breach of equality laws that require it to offer similar athletic opportunities for male and female students.
(emphasis mine)

I'm not against cheerleading, nor do I think that it's not difficult or athletic. But I don't think any school should be able to get around the intent of Title IX, which is to ensure that female students are getting the same athletic opportunities as males do, by removing a sport like volleyball (or field hockey, or lacrosse) and replacing it with cheerleading. I'd like to see a school eliminate the football team and tell the players to go join the cheerleading squad. :rolleyes:

GarrAarghHrumph
07-22-2010, 09:28 PM
It was ruled that it couldn't be a university varsity sport - yet. The issue is lack of organization. Per the judge:

Competitive cheer may, some time in the future, qualify as a sport. Today, however, the activity is still too underdeveloped and disorganised to be treated as offering genuine varsity athletic participation opportunities for students.

The cheerleading organizations seem fairly positive about this ruling, because they feel it's given them guidance on what they need to do to become a varsity sport.

bardtoob
07-22-2010, 09:44 PM
IT ALL RIGHT! IT'S OKAY! YOU'RE GONNA PUMP OUR GAS SOMEDAY!

IT ALL RIGHT! IT'S OKAY! YOU'RE GONNA PUMP OUR GAS SOMEDAY!