PDA

View Full Version : Being paid to do nothing

Pages : [1] 2 3

ice dance
07-19-2010, 10:42 PM
My boss has told me that for at least a month, maybe two months, there will be no work for me. She doesn't want to lose me, though, so has said she will keep paying me until I am needed again. Is this right? I would need the money, but I don't really know if it's right to be paid for doing nothing. What do you all think?

DickButtonFan
07-19-2010, 10:48 PM
You get to see what it's like to be Paris Hilton. Embrace the moment.

Aceon6
07-19-2010, 11:01 PM
My boss has told me that for at least a month, maybe two months, there will be no work for me. She doesn't want to lose me, though, so has said she will keep paying me until I am needed again. Is this right? I would need the money, but I don't really know if it's right to be paid for doing nothing. What do you all think?

It's perfectly standard to be "on call", but it's a bit unusual in this economy. Make sure she puts it in writing that 1) you're still employed, 2) your benefits will continue, and 3) how much notice you'll get when you need to return to work.

Enjoy.

MikiAndoFan#1
07-19-2010, 11:11 PM
I've no job experience, but I agree with the facts Aceon6 stated. And enjoy this time off to do things you like! Have fun!

Norlite
07-19-2010, 11:11 PM
What do you all think?

I think that if you decide to refuse, I'll take that job.

KatieC
07-19-2010, 11:14 PM
Are you expected to show up everyday? I once had a job where I was a payroll supervisor with nobody to pay for 3 months. I still had to show up, and took part in hiring interviews and testing sessions, but I also worked jigsaw puzzles and learned how to play sudoku. If you're not expected to show up, I agree with Aceon6, make sure you get the terms in writing.

Rex
07-19-2010, 11:25 PM
Improve your typing skills online or something...do something that will help you to improve your skills on your current (and future) jobs.

ice dance
07-19-2010, 11:37 PM
I can't talk about what kind of work I do, but there aren't any "office work" type skills to keep up. As there is nothing to do, I won't be needed there at all. I am the only employee at this place, so I am the only one apart from my boss who knows the work. Its one of a very few businesses of its type in the country, and the only one around here, so I couldn't work for a similar company. Boss and I have talked about the business, and there will be steadily less work for a while, then no work for a month or so, then it starts back up quite full-on in about November.

Holley Calmes
07-19-2010, 11:58 PM
Just think about all those time when you've done more work than you've been paid for, or put in more hours than you've been paid for. How lucky you are that someone thinks enough of you to do this-and I'm sure you're worth it. Embrace the love! Cash the check.

Rex
07-20-2010, 12:01 AM
I can't talk about what kind of work I do, but there aren't any "office work" type skills to keep up. As there is nothing to do, I won't be needed there at all. I am the only employee at this place, so I am the only one apart from my boss who knows the work. Its one of a very few businesses of its type in the country, and the only one around here, so I couldn't work for a similar company. Boss and I have talked about the business, and there will be steadily less work for a while, then no work for a month or so, then it starts back up quite full-on in about November.

Well, enjoy it, I guess. I know I would.

Aussie Willy
07-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Wow what a dilemma! If the boss has offered to pay you then take it. They obviously value you. The best thing is you won't be out of pocket so I would accept it. Just take it as a forced holiday and maybe make plans.

But I can understand you feeling really weird about it.

Karpenko
07-20-2010, 10:10 AM
That is my dream job, take it. There's nothing negative that could come out of it.

milanessa
07-20-2010, 10:18 AM
But I can understand you feeling really weird about it.

Really? Why? I honestly don't see a problem unless the boss is doing something underhanded.

briancoogaert
07-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Well, in many jobs, you have moments with too much work, and moments with less works. But you are still paid the same. So, enjoy, take care of you !

altai_rose
07-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Is there a conference you could go to during that time? What about other professional training? Short online training courses?

Else, enjoy it!