PDA

View Full Version : HGTV DesignStar

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Rob
08-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Anyone still watching? I thought Casey was getting the winner edit the last few weeks, but her space and her presentation were very dull this week. I liked Emily's best.

Aceon6
08-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Emily's looked lived in and I liked it. Hers is an interesting spin on getting inspiration. As for the other show idea, HGTV isn't exactly must see TV among the 20 somethings I know. Their moms might watch.

smurfy
08-18-2010, 06:44 PM
I am still watching. At least it was solo challenges and you can see a bit more what they are like. Casey's was so boring. The frames on the wall were cool, but whatever.
At least Michael and Emily have a clearer vision of a show that I do not think is currently on HGTV. Going for younger demographics makes sense. As long as shows I like don't dissappear.
I am sticking with the show to the end, why, not sure, other than I want to see how it ends. But what a terrible season overall. The caliber of contestants was much lower than prior years, sucky challenges, etc. I don't really like Gen and Candice as judges, the other 2 ladies were interesting and dump Vern too.

skatesindreams
08-18-2010, 08:36 PM
I am sticking with the show to the end, why, not sure, other than I want to see how it ends. But what a terrible season overall. The caliber of contestants was much lower than prior years.

I can't believe that these were the best possible contestants, either.
I hope that the "pool", challenges, and judging improve next season.

Nomad
08-19-2010, 05:12 PM
I hope they get more individual challenges next season. This season has been one team challenge after another.

Matryeshka
08-20-2010, 02:29 AM
I don't think it was the caliber of contestants so much as the idiocy of the challenges. Design was not to meant to be done by committee based on your favorite Latin-inspired breakfast food. Frankly, I'm shocked they did as well as they did.

Nomad
08-20-2010, 02:36 AM
^ That was a truly stupid challenge.
And I don't remember Vern being such an asshat in previous seasons.

Rob
08-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Design was not to meant to be done by committee based on your favorite Latin-inspired breakfast food. Frankly, I'm shocked they did as well as they did.

ITA, plus everyone knows that a huevos rancheros pillow just won't go with a tamale couch.

uyeahu
08-20-2010, 08:34 PM
So, does anyone plan on watching the winner's show, whomever that may be? I can barely bring myself to watch the finale at this point and will only do so because I've invested so much time in the rest of the season.

I've never watched this show in previous seasons because Genevieve and Candace both get on my last nerve, especially Genevieve. I was hoping that the candidates would be interesting enough to make the judges tolerable and in the end was disappointed by EVERYONE. Who casts this show? Who decided this group of unimaginative and uncreative people should be on tv? Did they base their decisions solely on head shots?

That said, I hope the last blonde girl standing wins. Whatever her name is. Michael's affectations make me twitchy.

Nomad
08-20-2010, 08:56 PM
I'll watch just because I'm mildly curious to see who will win, but I'm not rooting for either one of them, really. I don't see Emily's show concept drawing a big audience; Michael's is okay, although I wish someone would tell him that "starter-outer" is not a word.

Rob
08-20-2010, 08:59 PM
I will watch the finale and if I come across the winner's show, I will watch it to see but I doubt I will check the schedule and set my DVR.

Rob
08-23-2010, 04:26 PM
I thought the designers did a lot better in the 2 non team challenges at the end - they really need to quit all the group crap if they do this again. Based on Tom's wardrobe and on what Nina said in the first eppy about her Bohemian chic style, I think both of them did a great job in the finale.

I thought Emily was stronger design wise the last 2 challenges -- maybe because I liked her color palettes/accessories and I didn't like Michael's much. But Emily needs a lot of presentation work. She wasted a lot of time in her host presentation running around the fabric store, and she speaks very quickly. From her pinstripe wall presentation, what I took away was that I would not want to try to do that myself.

I see they have converted her show into "Secrets from a Stylist."

I thought Michael's presentation flowed better and was more HGTVish with introducing the contractor etc., but I never like it when the presenter is walking toward the camera bouncing around. He did a lot of that.

Aceon6
08-23-2010, 04:33 PM
So Emily won?

Rob
08-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Yes - her show starts in the Design Star slot on Sunday nights. Her first task is to restyle the home of the creator of Glee. Not sure if they stuck to her wardrobe idea for her show.

smurfy
08-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Yes, the last 2 episodes saved the show. I felt like I got a sense of these 2 much better than the arts n crafts type projects earlier.
Ugh - Nina - still don't like her.
Interesting that Alex was chosen 2nd to last. He definitely was a worker which would have been helpful.
Either could have won, no strong feeling either way.
Hope they revamp the show for next time. It was really boring here for awhile.
I will probably watch Emily's first show, out of curiosity, but not sure if I will continue.