PDA

View Full Version : HGTV DesignStar

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Aaron W
07-27-2010, 08:56 PM
^^ I wish House Hunters International had more European & Asian/Pacific episodes. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like 70% of the episodes are focused in the Caribbean/Latin America. There's nothing wrong with showing people buying homes in that region of the World, but how about splitting it up a little more evenly? Give me a split closer to 33% Caribbean/Latin America, 33% Europe, and 33% Asia/Pacific?

I enjoy Property Virgins, though I enjoy it much more when Sandra's in the GTA rather than somewhere in the US (I can watch My First Place or the regular House Hunters for that). I love Toronto, so watching her show homes from the different neighborhoods is enjoyable for me.

As for Design Star, I've watched a few episodes this season, but so far I haven't found any of the designers to be interesting enough to make me interested in watching their own show. Original Design Star winner, David Bromstad, is the best. Does anyone know how last season's winner, Antonio Ballatore, is faring in his new show? I wasn't happy that he won over Dan Vickery.

uyeahu
07-28-2010, 12:08 AM
All I could think watching this week's episode is how none of these people seem to be in the LEAST bit creative. Why are they on the show if they can't figure out a creative way to re-purpose a scarf and mini taxi cab let alone make a bed? Cut the damn taxi in half and make book ends. Pleat the damn tacky scarf and make a throw pillow. It's not freaking Rocket Science people!

I called Courtland for the win weeks ago when it became apparent he was the only one who's name I could remember. He's for sure getting the winner edit.

all_empty
07-28-2010, 12:58 AM
It would be a travesty if someone who has been in the bottom every single week (or seems like it) won the show.

Courtland has the looks (like Dan from last season) but none of Dan's skill.

Tom had a spazzy presentation that would never have worked on TV, while Stacy had a bit of a lisp and the window treatments were so ugly (btw, if I had the taxi cab, I would've made it into a fridge magnet holding cab/car service numbers into NYC).

If Courtland doesn't win I see the one blonde winning.

uyeahu
07-28-2010, 02:08 AM
It would be a travesty if someone who has been in the bottom every single week (or seems like it) won the show.

Courtland has the looks (like Dan from last season) but none of Dan's skill.

Tom had a spazzy presentation that would never have worked on TV, while Stacy had a bit of a lisp and the window treatments were so ugly (btw, if I had the taxi cab, I would've made it into a fridge magnet holding cab/car service numbers into NYC).

If Courtland doesn't win I see the one blonde winning.

Fridge magnet would have been perfect (AND EASY). These designers are a train wreck.

smurfy
07-28-2010, 03:20 AM
The more I think about it, this whole season is making some of the worst people from other season look pretty darn good.
There has been one good thing this season, some of the negative criticisms are really mean and entertaining. Who knew Vern had it in him. Gen and Candice, not suprised, but Vern has been heavy handed.

Meredith
07-28-2010, 04:18 AM
Vern has been as mean as a snake.

emason
07-28-2010, 04:25 PM
^^ Does anyone know how last season's winner, Antonio Ballatore, is faring in his new show? I wasn't happy that he won over Dan Vickery.

Ballatore was absolutely the right choice for the win. Dan Vickery was a wannabe David Bromstad-lite, and he had no chance of winning, not from Day 1.

Rob
08-02-2010, 07:16 PM
SO who went home last night? I taped it, but I won't get to it till Thursday.

all_empty
08-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Alex went home, finally. But honestly, I have more design skill than anyone left on the show. Courtland played the straight card and how he misses his fiancee.

Aaron W
08-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Ballatore was absolutely the right choice for the win. Dan Vickery was a wannabe David Bromstad-lite, and he had no chance of winning, not from Day 1.

In your opinion. In my opinion, Ballatore's designs were mostly mediocre at best. He didn't win the show on his design skills, but rather because the judges wanted a different type of designer than in the past. I suspect if the show had continued to incorporate viewer votes into the results, Dan probably would have won because personality-wise and design-wise he fits much more into the mold of successful designers on the network.

uyeahu
08-02-2010, 11:34 PM
All I kept thinking of the Italian team was why are they making everything the same color? How BORING and BLAND. They didn't even seem to notice until the end. I wasn't particularly impressed by either team though.

smurfy
08-03-2010, 03:48 AM
I wasn't particularly impressed by either team though.

at least the season has been consistent! Both kitchens were so boring, so cookie cutter. Why am I still watching? I always see things to the end, such an optimist, thinking it has to get better. I liked Michael before this episode, but he was an idiot. Alex may be green, but he is trying. Michael - learn some diplomacy.

As much as the results were boring, I do feel like I started to look at what they were doing differently - for the photos. I do appreciate that change from the rest of the season. Again, they just did not have enough time or lack time management skills. With the editing, who knows.
I do not care who wins. See if they can continue the boring streak.

Aceon6
08-03-2010, 04:51 PM
At least they got the back splashes up. That's been the undoing of many of Design Star and Top Design contestants. I wish they used more color so they didn't need all the accessories.

merrywidow
08-03-2010, 07:46 PM
None of them is in the same league as David Bromstad. What I find boring about this show is all the team designing. I can see it for the first 2 episodes, then go to pairs & then single designing. I felt sorry for Dan. The judges send him over to the womens team, none of whom knows how to build anything, he does all their grunt work for them & gets booted off for not contributing to their lousy design? Unfair.:lynch:

uyeahu
08-04-2010, 01:25 AM
Agreed regarding Dan. I felt bad for him being stuck in that group of hopeless women. I haven't seen any evidence that any of the women cast this season actually have a strong POV about anything. They are so wishy washy and bland and passive. As much as I disliked Nina's work at least she spoke up and was assertive. This group seems to be waiting around for someone to come tell them what to do and give them permission to do it.