PDA

View Full Version : Online dating

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Cheylana
07-20-2010, 02:12 AM
I met my bf of about a year (golly, has it been that long?) on Plentyoffish.com.
Just wondering; what do you think of this website? I was thinking of trying it, but worried that it might not do enough to protect my identity. Also, someone said if you google my name, my profile on Plenty of Fish will pop up. Is that true?

PrincessLeppard
07-20-2010, 02:44 AM
It shouldn't. I'm on there under a pseud...my real name is nowhere on there.

Twilight1
07-20-2010, 02:53 AM
I know 2 couples who met online and they are both still together, 1 couple is married since 1996 and the other is common law and will be getting married (proposal imminent for their 1 yr anniversary in another month) and both are quite happy.

Back when I was younger I did the phone line thing. Met a bunch of awesome people that a couple are still good friends of mine. The guys I met and dated were people I hung out with a few times with a group because the thought of just going to meet someone I didn't know freaked me out a bit. The 3 I dated were completely not for me...though thinking back one was a complete sweetheart. I just needed the bad boy type at that time though... :lol:

Anita18
07-20-2010, 03:07 AM
Just wondering; what do you think of this website? I was thinking of trying it, but worried that it might not do enough to protect my identity. Also, someone said if you google my name, my profile on Plenty of Fish will pop up. Is that true?
Unless they changed things there recently (we both left the site last fall), you don't put your real name on there at all. You just choose a "username" and if you choose one that you use everywhere on the net, that's your fault. :lol:

Otherwise it's just like putting your info up on any other site.

It's okay. I like that it's simple and doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles. It just lets me read profiles without a lot of moving parts, which I want.

Margot
07-20-2010, 06:50 AM
I met my husband on Match.com. We were married 3-1/2 months later. That was about 4 years ago. I was 58 at the time and he was 62.

I wasn't looking to get married, just to date. But, it worked!

mikemba
07-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Ajax, although I have no personal experience with internet dating (since I have been married since before thei internet existed), I am happy to inform you that my cousin and his wife of 2 years met online.

This thread led me to a question: has FSU led to any serious relationships between members?

Quintuple
07-20-2010, 06:54 AM
I wonder - has anyone ever met via FSU and later gotten togetha?

agalisgv
07-20-2010, 11:49 AM
I wonder - has anyone ever met via FSU and later gotten togetha? Yes, BrokenAnkle and KHenry IIRC.

milanessa
07-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Yes, BrokenAnkle and KHenry IIRC.

Oooh, I didn't know they met here. :cool:

PRlady
07-20-2010, 12:05 PM
I've been on match.com and JDate for almost a year. I haven't met any ax murderers or disturbed people, but obviously I screen who I choose to see as carefully as I can. I've met many nice guys, one lasted a couple of months, and I'm still on there although I'm even more selective about my choices now.

My 32-year-old second cousin, when she married her husband whom she met on JDate, told me sternly at her wedding: PRlady, it's a numbers game. It took me about 100 guys to meet the right one, get started!

This made me :scream: but she had something of a point.

What you put in your profile definitely matters, spend time on it.

Ajax
07-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Thanks for all the advice and stories everyone, keep them coming :)
The website I'm using is called okcupid. I think it must have magical powers - it matched me up first with a guy from the same country as me (and I hadn't put in my profile that I was from there so it was completely coincidental!), and then with the real-life friend who had recommended the website to me :D

Murdoch
07-20-2010, 03:26 PM
I finished with internet dating about two years ago after some pretty significant trauma, losers and only one bright light (in FOUR years)...

Rather than rehash all that, here is one piece of advice and a take on each site I used.

Advice: Meet in public and tell someone where you are going and get an intervention phone call about 45 minutes in. If it is good - good and if it isn't - this is even better. I had this plan from day one and it was the best thing I did.

One other - cross reference the sites. Typically people do not frequent only one site and sometimes, the profiles are SO different between sites, you know they are not for real to begin with.

Plentyoffish... too many fish. It takes a LOT of effort to weed out.

Match.com... AVOID. NOTHING came from this.

eHarmony... the first time it sucked, the second time it rocked. BE REALLY specific when you answer questions though because if you are wishy-washy in an answer, they do not really take that criteria into consideration (ie. age). This IS a pay site, which used to indicate to me they were more serious about finding someone... a theory I now believe to be flawed.

perfectmatch.com... I might have been their perfect match, but not one who contacted me interested me.

Lavalife... this was probably the best one over the years. I did meet losers from here, but I met my one long term on here, as well as a few that are still friends. I like this one because it has three strands of profiles (dating, relationship and sex), whereby you can learn a lot about a person and their intentions. If I were to recommend one, this would be it. :)

Veronika
07-20-2010, 03:42 PM
I met my husband on Match.com. We got engaged after 3 months of dating, and were married about a year later. We've been marrried for over 4 years now...so I guess we are a success. ;)

I will admit that I'm sometimes embarrassed to admit we met online. Sometimes I fib and tell people we met through friends...I think how we met is a rather personal question, and you'd be surprised how many people ask that question.

Prancer
07-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Oooh, I didn't know they met here. :cool:

I don't think they did. I could be wrong about that, though.

I know of some couples who have met through skating forums--not necessarily just this one, but more a combination of skating forums where one kept bumping into the other.

None of them lasted or were particularly "out," however. :shuffle:

What you put in your profile definitely matters, spend time on it.

I've known a lot of couples who have met online and I think the best advice for ads is to be honest. Don't try to be something you aren't as part of the sales pitch. Sell what you have, not what you think other people want.

The lies always come back to haunt. There are a lot of men out there who really don't like long walks in the rain but have created this expectation that they do and now have to live with it or the fallout. :P Meanwhile, they have been passed over by a lot of women who have thought, "What kind of moron likes to walk in the rain?"

you'd be surprised how many people ask that question.

In my salad days, it was meeting in a bar that was embarrassing. And the line was always, "Er, we met in a bar. But it was a NICE bar.":lol:

I think people ask "How did you meet?" when there doesn't seem to be an obvious connection, like attending the same college or growing up in the same town or working together. Some people are just curious; other people, though, want to hear stories of magical happenstance; it gives them hope :).

ioana
07-20-2010, 04:19 PM
I know of some couples who have met through skating forums--not necessarily just this one, but more a combination of skating forums where one kept bumping into the other.

None of them lasted or were particularly "out," however. :shuffle:

This was not on FSU, but I do know of one case where people met via gymnastics message boards and ended up moving in together. They're still together some 4 years later. I used to do gym websites a while back and met boatloads of people online that way. Some turned out to be genuinely friendly and interested in getting to know me, some were complete creeps who kept asking for 'action shots' from my days as a competitive gymnast. One even went as far as to specify a preference for front pics of stalders on bars, erm...
http://www.gymmedia.com/ghent2001/images/khorkina_UB_RUS.JPG

I did meet one guy that turned out to be very nice and met up with him while on vacation in Italy. Unfortunately, he was not terribly attractive, so things never went beyond friendship.

My old roommate did online dating when we lived together and she was constantly surprised when she met up with guys for coffee that I'd gotten a good read on them 'just' by reading their emails to her. I think actively posting online means you have a better read on these things just because you learn to look for 'tone' without the additional pressure of trying to figure out if the person is relationship material. I'd say definitely give it a try!