PDA

View Full Version : The ending of Inception - don't read if you don't want to be spoiled!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Allskate
07-19-2010, 10:15 PM
No, the token/totem appears in both reality and dreams. It's how it behaves in one world versus the other that lets you know where you truly are.

So, the pawn that the architect made would behave differently in reality versus a dream? Hmm. I still don't get how you would prevent memories of the token in the real world from infecting your dream and fooling you. Maybe I'm just imagining new ambiguities and complexities in addition to the gazillion the movie already gave me. :D

I think this is a movie people will see over and over again to try to see what they missed the first (and second and third) time.

kappa_1
07-19-2010, 11:05 PM
I liked it very much; I found it very entertaining for a hot summer afternoon, but in my theater no one went awww. The jaded New Yorkers around me just laughed. Overall I give it a B+.

Re: the ending, it's up to the viewer to decide its meaning. The important point is that, for Dom, he has moved on without Mal.

Haha, ditto. The Murray Hill crowd gave the exact same reaction.

Yeah, I thought the movie was original,very entertaining, and very well made, especially after the first third, despite the previously mentioned plot holes .

slightly OT, but I hope Brian Joubert skates to the score :saint:

BlueRidge
07-20-2010, 03:46 AM
There was a twist at the end? I guess I missed it. They sure dragged that boring thing out. Seemed like a nice Hollywood wrap up to me. The spinning top was hardly worth noticing.

What's with the need for everything to be accompanied by shoot-em-ups and the like? Whatever possibility the movie had was killed off by all that. And it was too dang loud.

Before it got too boring, I did get a few chuckles out of how hard it was reaching to be try to make the whole idea work.

Badams
07-20-2010, 04:12 AM
i don't think i could ever see this movie. my dreams scare the crap out of me, a freaky movie about dreams would make it worse. :lol: this movie would be a horror flick for me.

Anita18
07-20-2010, 04:48 AM
There was a twist at the end? I guess I missed it. They sure dragged that boring thing out. Seemed like a nice Hollywood wrap up to me. The spinning top was hardly worth noticing.

What's with the need for everything to be accompanied by shoot-em-ups and the like? Whatever possibility the movie had was killed off by all that. And it was too dang loud.

Before it got too boring, I did get a few chuckles out of how hard it was reaching to be try to make the whole idea work.
The movie cuts to black before you see the top fall. Most people interpret that as Leo's character still being in a dream world and not caring/realizing it.

Shoot 'em ups are fun. :cheer: I likes me a good heist movie. For a more direct explanation, the mark's projections take the form of henchmen who try to kill whoever's in the dream with him. So the team tries to stay alive by shooting back.

i don't think i could ever see this movie. my dreams scare the crap out of me, a freaky movie about dreams would make it worse. :lol: this movie would be a horror flick for me.
Actually, I have some really freaky dreams (including not being able to properly wake from multi-level dreams) and this movie wasn't too bad at all. In the first viewing, you'll be busy keeping up with the plot to be too freaked out. :lol:

It doesn't resemble most people's actual dreams because it's lacking in surrealism. The dreams play out quite realistically. I saw it as an artistic choice by the director Chris Nolan because Leo states in the movie, "Dreams feel real while we're in them." Since the audience is awake while they watch the movie, Nolan chose to blur the line between real and dream by making the dream world realistic.

BlueRidge
07-20-2010, 11:31 AM
The movie cuts to black before you see the top fall. Most people interpret that as Leo's character still being in a dream world and not caring/realizing it.

Yes, I got that. :yawn: Rather simplistic, didn't make me impressed with the ending. At that point I didn't care about cheap gimmicks, I just wanted the damn thing to end.

Shoot 'em ups are fun. :cheer: I likes me a good heist movie. For a more direct explanation, the mark's projections take the form of henchmen who try to kill whoever's in the dream with him. So the team tries to stay alive by shooting back.

Yes I understood why the shoot'em ups, but I don't think they had to be constant to make the point. Better yet the whole thing could have been conceived differently, but obviously shoot'em ups sell so we go the shoot-em ups.

Do you need the spoiler tags? Anyone who opens this thread has to know they are going to be spoiled.

Ajax
07-20-2010, 01:39 PM
And anyone who wants a crazy/awesome deep analysis of what Inception might actually mean, there's this article I just read:

http://chud.com/articles/articles/24477/1/NEVER-WAKE-UP-THE-MEANING-AND-SECRET-OF-INCEPTION/Page1.html

Anita18, thanks for that link! I really like the explanation provided within. The comments are actually great too. One of them points out that when Leo needs a mercenary (the forger) he goes to Mombasa and finds him in a barroom - just like in the Warren Zevon song "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" (lyrics (http://www.metrolyrics.com/roland-the-headless-thompson-gunner-lyrics-warren-zevon.html)). So if you believe the theory that the whole movie is a dream by Leo's character, then this is a case of Leo's subconscious populating the dream with situations heard about in songs - a nice subtle clue :)

mikey
07-20-2010, 03:47 PM
I just wanted the damn thing to endDitto. Couldn't get out of the theater fast enough.

Anita18
07-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Do you need the spoiler tags? Anyone who opens this thread has to know they are going to be spoiled.
I don't know. In other forums we're still doing them for our international friends. :lol:

genevieve
07-20-2010, 05:33 PM
I thought Nolan did a really good job of portraying dream elements - sudden switches of scene with no explanation and conversations just continuing along, scenes starting up in the middle of a convo. And that zero gravity scene in the hotel (even though it was caused by what was happening to the dreamer one level up) was amazing and portrayed how "swimming" through air feels in my dreams. But yeah, nothing really fantastical happened.

I mean, it's not like anyone was chased by clowns :scream:

genevieve
07-20-2010, 05:52 PM
I don't know. In other forums we're still doing them for our international friends. :lol:

The title flat out says spoilers within, so I'd say no spoiler tags are needed.

Allskate
07-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Owen Glieberman wrote a piece in which he confesses not to understand the movie:

http://movie-critics.ew.com/2010/07/20/inception-why-i-didnt-get-it/

I admit to having the same kind of confusion he had, but I still think it's a cool movie.

Someone actually came up with a chart for the various "reality" and dream levels:

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news/19643/_1279559876.jpg

genevieve
07-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Someone actually came up with a chart for the various "reality" and dream levels:

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news/19643/_1279559876.jpg

That's cool (and helpful)!

The Village Idiot
07-21-2010, 03:59 AM
My questions:

1) What is going on w/ old Ken Watanbe and young Leo, saying come back and be young w/ me. Obviously a dream, but why would Ken's character want to be old? When is this occurring? (I lost track on how many levels he was dying btw.)

2) I'm assuming with question #1 DECADES have past since all the action. However, they all wake up in the plane at the same time? How does that work?

3) Do they all recognize each other after getting off the plane? Mainly Cillian Murphy's character vs the rest.

Anita18
07-21-2010, 04:19 AM
My questions:

1) What is going on w/ old Ken Watanbe and young Leo, saying come back and be young w/ me. Obviously a dream, but why would Ken's character want to be old? When is this occurring? (I lost track on how many levels he was dying btw.)

2) I'm assuming with question #1 DECADES have past since all the action. However, they all wake up in the plane at the same time? How does that work?

3) Do they all recognize each other after getting off the plane? Mainly Cillian Murphy's character vs the rest.
Okay I'll give up on the spoiler tags now. :lol:

1) Watanabe died from his gunshot wounds in level 1 in the van, sending him to "limbo" (where you have trouble distinguishing dream from reality) because he was still under heavy sedation. This was shortly before Leo drowned in the van, also sending him to limbo where Watanabe was. An important aspect of the dream levels is that length of time is compounded the deeper you go, so you could spend 50 years in limbo when only minutes have passed in reality. This is apparently what happened to Watanabe.

2) They all wake up in the plane at the same time when the sedative wears off.

3) Cillian's character may have recognized them from seeing them in first class, but it's shown that people who aren't trained for dream extraction have trouble remembering what went on in their dreams. He may not have recognized the people as being in his dream, and even if he did, he may have attributed it to the fact he was just sitting next to them before he fell asleep.

Now what is a bit unclear to me is why Cillian wouldn't recognize Watanabe on the plane, since they're heads of seriously competing companies. But...whatever. :lol: