PDA

View Full Version : George Steinbrenner, NY Yankees owner dies

milanessa
07-13-2010, 03:02 PM
I wasn't a fan but may he RIP

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/13/AR2010071302117.html

Yehudi
07-13-2010, 03:15 PM
I wasn't a fan but may he RIP

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/13/AR2010071302117.html

Neither was I, but the game won't be the same without him.

Garden Kitty
07-13-2010, 03:38 PM
While he certainly had his faults, he was very generous to charities in the Bronx as well as Florida.

I recall one story where a local college women's basketball team made one of the post season tournaments, but since the school was on break, they were staying in unheated dorms because the program didn't have much money. He paid for hotel rooms for the whole team for as long as they were in the tournament. It's just one small story, but there are lots of schools and charities in some poor neighborhoods in the Bronx that benefitted a lot from his generosity.

Here's a nice article from USA Today from a few months ago talking about his community work in Tampa (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/yankees/2010-05-19-george-steinbrenner_N.htm)

The Boss always has had a soft spot for disadvantaged children, athletes and coaches, members of the armed forces, law enforcement and firefighters, and he has offered his charity and influence. The Tampa area is dotted with thank you signs to Steinbrenner. Besides the high school, Legends Field was renamed Steinbrenner Field in 2008 by the city of Tampa, and the Boys and Girls Club of Tampa and a pediatric emergency and trauma center at St. Joseph's Children's Hospital carry his name.

BelleBway
07-13-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm as far as you can get from being a Yankee fan, but one has to acknowledge that Mr. Steinbrenner is a baseball legend. My thoughts go out to his family, friends, and the Yankees organization. RIP

cruisin
07-13-2010, 04:22 PM
They announced, on ABC, around 9:15 this morning, that he had a massive heart attack. At that point he was in very critical condition. Within an hour they announced he had passed.

Steinbrenner was a very controversial man. He was loved by many and hated by many. But, whether you liked him or not, no one can deny that he changed baseball. He was/is a legend, not just for Yankee fans, but for anyone who loves baseball.

RIP Mr Steinbrenner - I sincerely hope that there is an all star team in Heaven that you can manage.

jenny12
07-13-2010, 04:57 PM
RIP, I'm not much of a baseball fan, but he definitely made his mark on the world of sports.

skipaway
07-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Steinbrenner also owned a racing stable called Kinsman Farm. He campaigned Wood Memorial winner Bellamy Road and his sire, Concerto a few years ago. He was also the previous owner of Tampa Bay Downs. He was a good supporter of Thoroughbred racing. RIP

hirshey girl
07-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Wasn't Steinbrenner the one who sponsored a young Nicole Bobek for a time? RIP Mr. Steinbrenner. :(

zhenya271
07-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Baseball isn't one of my favorite sports but as an American how sad to lose one of our icons in American sports history. Rest in peace, George Steinbrenner.:(

Jem X
07-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Steinbrenner helped US Olympians, including Michelle Kwan
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/07/kwan-steinbrenner-an-angel-to-us-olympians.html

Reuven
07-13-2010, 11:38 PM
R.I.P George. Speaking as a member of Red Sox Nation, you did a lot of good with your money, and you did promote baseball so even though you owned the Yankees, you will be missed.

AragornElessar
07-14-2010, 12:32 AM
Here's one Blue Jays fan who actually liked and got a kick out of Mr. Steinbrenner. He was such a character, but behind the persona, was a man who truly loved the game of Baseball and also used his fame and money to try and help others as much as he was capable of.

May he Rest In Peace and he will be missed. :(

NeilJLeonard
07-14-2010, 12:28 PM
A throw-back that thought the entire idea of owning a team was to win championships & spent money, time and effort to do just that. His love of the game of baseball was as immense as his ego. A true character that will be missed. Rest in peace, George.

NJL (...and, Thanks...:)...)

PS: I still hate the Yankees.....:D

MOIJTO
07-14-2010, 12:45 PM
I never knew he grew up in the same city my husband did in Cleveland.

He certainly was a character and you either loved or hated him, no middle ground with Mr. Steinbrenner but he understood that winning was more than talent it cost money, and he spent it freely, but the return was complete loyalty.

The Yankees have proven that philosophy...but the Yankees SUCK! :D

cruisin
07-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Hey! No picking on the Yankees here!:P