PDA

View Full Version : Switzerland Won't Extradite Polanski to the US

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

soxxy
07-12-2010, 02:39 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/07/12/switzerland.polanski.extradition/index.html?hpt=T2

CNN) -- Switzerland will not send Oscar-winning filmmaker Roman Polanski to the United States to face child sex charges, the Ministry of Justice announced Monday.He is now free, the ministry said.

Switzerland was not making a decision about the severity of the charge or whether Polanski was guilty, Justice Minister Eveline Widmer-Schlumpf said.
"It's not about qualifying the crime. That is not our job. It's also not about deciding over guilt or innocence," she said.

MOIJTO
07-12-2010, 03:18 PM
No surprise there!

Jackie Sparrow
07-12-2010, 03:41 PM
An article from the month of May where Polanski tells his side of the story (http://www.nzz.ch/nachrichten/startseite/polanski_meldet_sich_zu_wortjustizaffaere_1.562138 6.html). The original (which I don't know if it's online) was in French. I don't know if it is anywhere in English. Sorry.

BigB08822
07-12-2010, 04:14 PM
This seems like a dumb move by Switzerland. This is such a highly publicized case and now many people are aware that Switzerland wont extradite. Will they see an influx of criminals running to their country? If they extradite everyone else then it looks like favoritism because of who Polanski is.

milanessa
07-12-2010, 04:14 PM
The Swiss rejected the American request because the United States did not supply all the legal records Switzerland requested, and because Polanski had a reasonable right to think he would not be arrested if he visited the country, she said.

I don't know much about international law so can't comment on on the "reasonable right" but it sounds like the American justice bureaucracy is partially at fault here.

*Jen*
07-12-2010, 04:34 PM
This seems like a dumb move by Switzerland. This is such a highly publicized case and now many people are aware that Switzerland wont extradite. Will they see an influx of criminals running to their country? If they extradite everyone else then it looks like favoritism because of who Polanski is.

The Swiss will extradite. They have in the past and they will in the future. They're just not extraditing this particular man because there seem to be some serious questions over the actual procedure on the US side, not because he's famous.

"The reason for the decision lies in the fact that it was not possible to exclude with the necessary certainty a fault in the US extraditionary request (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment_and_arts/10601930.stm)."

It's not favouritism, they won't see an influx of criminals (having one of the strictest immigration policies in the world) but reading between the lines, the US has failed to follow the correct procedure and the failure to follow due process is one of the main reasons that decisions are overturned in any case.

The Swiss wouldn't have arrested him in the first place if they had no intention to extradite.

Didn't the girl in question not want anything to do with this case, anyway? Didn't she beg for the charges to be dropped?

Ziggy
07-12-2010, 04:42 PM
It's rather ridiculous how he was able to freely travel all these years and then somebody decided they are going to further their career or reach some other political end by going tough on his case.

orbitz
07-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Didn't the girl in question not want anything to do with this case, anyway? Didn't she beg for the charges to be dropped?

Yes. She's a grown woman now and doesn't have any ill-will towards Polanski.

Matryeshka
07-12-2010, 05:18 PM
I don't really care what the reasons are that someone decided to get tough on this case. I hate, hate, hate that he is a child rapist yet gets a whole lot of sympathy, including a standing ovation at the Oscas. And is excused because he's an arteeeeeste. :rolleyes:

Seriously, is this a man who really deserves freedom:

The girl testified that Polanski gave her both champagne and Quaalude, a sedative drug, and despite repeated protests and being asked to stop, he performed oral sex, intercourse and sodomy upon her.[57][58][59][60] A grand jury charged him with rape by use of drugs, perversion, sodomy, lewd and lascivious act upon a child under fourteen, and furnishing a controlled substance to a minor

I really don't care if the girl in question now wants it dropped to protect her privacy--that anonomity is gone anyway. It's a bigger issue than that. It really pisses me off. But then, I'd have arrested Jack Nicholson and Anjelica Houston too for aiding Polanski. They were present and offered the girl no help or assistance and were well aware of what was going on.

Hannahclear
07-12-2010, 05:21 PM
But then, I'd have arrested Jack Nicholson and Anjelica Houston too for aiding Polanski. They were present and offered the girl no help or assistance and were well aware of what was going on.

Really? I never heard that before. That's disgusting.

oleada
07-12-2010, 05:22 PM
ITA, Matryesha.

Jackie Sparrow
07-12-2010, 05:46 PM
This seems like a dumb move by Switzerland. This is such a highly publicized case and now many people are aware that Switzerland wont extradite. Will they see an influx of criminals running to their country? If they extradite everyone else then it looks like favoritism because of who Polanski is. And this is a dumb post. Jen pretty much said everything I wanted to say, so please refer to her post :P

Ziggy
07-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Also, in most countries, he would not be liable for prosecution any more because of the statute of limitations.

And no, that doesn't mean I have any sympathy for him. I just have no sympathy for the tabloidisation of the legal system either. :P

Norlite
07-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Also, in most countries, he would not be liable for prosecution any more because of the statute of limitations.

I believe he was already prosecuted, and found guilty. Wasn't he? I thought (and it was a while ago) he fled after sentencing.

reckless
07-12-2010, 06:04 PM
I really don't care if the girl in question now wants it dropped to protect her privacy--that anonomity is gone anyway. It's a bigger issue than that. It really pisses me off. But then, I'd have arrested Jack Nicholson and Anjelica Houston too for aiding Polanski. They were present and offered the girl no help or assistance and were well aware of what was going on.

Really? I never heard that before. That's disgusting.
Anjelica Huston was at the house. Jack Nicholson was not. In the police interviews, Huston said she thought the girl was older. (I know there is the one photo of Geimler from the time where she looks young, but even the police or probation report said that the girl looked like she could be 18.) Also, from what I've read, Huston only actually saw the girl after the sexual encounter. They spoke briefly, but Geimler never said anything about what had happened.