PDA

View Full Version : Switzerland Won't Extradite Polanski to the US

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

Tesla
07-13-2010, 06:55 PM
You don't now what the Swiss have. You don't know how important the sealed information is. The Swiss waited 10 months. If they didn't want to extradite, they could've released him sooner. If the US really wanted him, they would've submitted the request years sooner since they knew he visited Switzerland and has a place there. If the US really wanted him, I'm sure someone somewhere would've gotten the information the Swiss wanted.

ETA I am not defending Polanski. I think he is a reprobate, but from what I've read (here) about the legal details of the case, it sounds like some very sketchy things went down. I'm defending the judicial system, as flawed as it is. Others have expressed this better.

Jackie Sparrow
07-13-2010, 06:55 PM
The Swiss law system required this document. The Californian law system has sealed it. There seems to be a clash.

uyeahu
07-13-2010, 06:58 PM
The Swiss law system required this document. The Californian law system has sealed it. There seems to be a clash.

Yes, a clash that Polanski and his attorney exploited. As so many in this thread have claimed that if the US REALLY wanted Polanski they could have unsealed this document - by the same token if the Swiss REALLY wanted to allow Polanski's extradition they could have done so without this document. In this case, the rapist won.

Tesla
07-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Unless the Swiss extradition process required this document. They may not be willing to compromise their process in this one case. To me, if they waited the 10 months, they really wanted to extradite but couldn't because of the requirements.

Jimena
07-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Yes, a clash that Polanski and his attorney exploited.

I think everyone would. It's just the nature of the law. We might not like it, but it is what it is.

What were the reasons for sealing the transcipts?

uyeahu
07-13-2010, 07:07 PM
I think everyone would. It's just the nature of the law. We might not like it, but it is what it is.

What were the reasons for sealing the transcipts?

Possibly had something to do with there having been sensitive testimony regarding a minor child? I couldn't know for sure but I think that's a good guess.

Jackie Sparrow
07-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Yes, a clash that Polanski and his attorney exploited. Eh, yeah, that's what attorneys are there for otherwise you wouldn't really need one :P

As so many in this thread have claimed that if the US REALLY wanted Polanski they could have unsealed this document - by the same token if the Swiss REALLY wanted to allow Polanski's extradition they could have done so without this document. In this case, the rapist won. You are a very simple person. Why don't you write to our justice minister and ask to change the Swiss law? It has NOTHING to do with wanting or not wanting to extradite Polanski!

uyeahu
07-13-2010, 07:13 PM
You are a very simple person. Why don't you write to our justice minister and ask to change the Swiss law? It has NOTHING to do with wanting or not wanting to extradite Polanski!

**** You Jackie. I've managed to go the entire thread without insulting you so why do you feel the need to insult me?

Jackie Sparrow
07-13-2010, 07:32 PM
**** You Jackie. I've managed to go the entire thread without insulting you so why do you feel the need to insult me? You're insulting my country, no matter what reasoning everybody is trying to give you. So there.
You managed not to insult me until now? So you wanted to insult me from the beginning? :lol:

Norlite
07-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Does anyone now what the actual charge is against Polanski? The articles linked say that the US dropped the rape charge.

*Jen*
07-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Where do I sign up to be sentenced to 10 months "detention" in a luxury mountain chalet in Switzerland?

Ah....I overlooked that. Scratch those 10 months then :shuffle:

I really do think he should serve his time, but I also think that the correct procedure has to be followed.

**** You Jackie. I've managed to go the entire thread without insulting you so why do you feel the need to insult me?

You said "fcuk you Switzerland" at the very start, which could be pretty insulting for a Swiss person. As a former Swiss resident, I was pretty insulted and I haven't lived there for four years :shuffle:

Classy response to Jackie's far more moderate threat by the way ;)

uyeahu
07-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Classy response to Jackie's far more moderate threat by the way ;)

Sorry, how's this - kiss my simple ass Jackie. Better?

uyeahu
07-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Does anyone now what the actual charge is against Polanski? The articles linked say that the US dropped the rape charge.

They dropped the rape charge in exchange for a guilty plea on unlawful sex with a minor I believe.

*Jen*
07-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Sorry, how's this - kiss my simple ass Jackie. Better?

Much :P

Norlite
07-13-2010, 08:19 PM
They dropped the rape charge in exchange for a guilty plea on unlawful sex with a minor I believe.

I see.

Well, that's a shame.