PDA

View Full Version : Coaching changes for better or worse?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Jun Y
07-12-2010, 09:15 PM
For realz! Abbott won Skate Canada over Takahashi, had the 2nd highest rated LP at the GPF with the highest TES score, put a beatdown on the reigning World champ and eventual Olympic champ by 25 points, and placed 5th at Worlds under Sato's tutelage. I certainly wouldn't say she hasn't helped him.

Not that I think it is a disaster, but I'd like to point out that before Abbott went to Sato, he won a Grand Prix (Cup of China 2008), GP Final 2008, and US Championship 2009. His season under Sato (2009-2010) was not massively improved from the previous. He won Skate Canada, yes, but was second in the free skate behind Takahashi, who had no quad at the competition. His placement at 2010 Worlds was indeed better. Nevertheless, one should take into consideration that Lysacek was not present, Verner had a horrendous season, and the Japanese skaters with the exception of Takahashi had a meltdown.

ponta1
07-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Not that I think it is a disaster, but I'd like to point out that before Abbott went to Sato, he won a Grand Prix (Cup of China 2008), GP Final 2008, and US Championship 2009. His season under Sato (2009-2010) was not massively improved from the previous. He won Skate Canada, yes, but was second in the free skate behind Takahashi, who had no quad at the competition. His placement at 2010 Worlds was indeed better. Nevertheless, one should take into consideration that Lysacek was not present, Verner had a horrendous season, and the Japanese skaters with the exception of Takahashi had a meltdown.

True, however, I think Yuka Sato brought out something in his skating that wasn't there before. I enjoy watching him now, whereas before, I thought he was a little flat.

centerpt1
07-12-2010, 10:39 PM
deleted because I have no idea what I'm talking about!

(at least I'm honest)

Indra486
07-13-2010, 02:03 AM
Yu-na Kim to Orser - she was able to live up to her talent and stay off injuries for the most part.

Shizuka to Tarasova - she won her world title and while her following season was a disaster, that was from her lack of motivation

Shizuka to Morozov - the partnership was relatively short but he was able to get her to peak at the Torino.

judiz
07-13-2010, 02:32 AM
Johnny Weir changed coaches and it RUINED HIM. He was deceived by those pseudo-Russians . . . I still do not get how they got him to believe that what Viktor and Oksana did was good when it was complete EMPTY sh@#.
If the COP rewards transitions and difficult jump entries, why would Johnny train with those that did not do them, did not know how to do them, and therefore could not teach them.
Furthermore, Johnny's technique was better than Viktor's technique before he switched. All Galina and Viktor taught Johnny was be as inconsistent as Viktor and act like posing on the ice was MIFTs (now known as a transitions) just like Viktor.

So who should had Johnny gone to? He couldn't stay with Priscilla, he no longer listened to her.

bardtoob
07-13-2010, 02:58 AM
^ TARASOVA. It would have been expensive for Johnny, but it would also not have been a cheap substitute.

arakwafan2006
07-13-2010, 02:58 AM
^ita. Johnny Weir is better than the old-school, empty programs given to him, Galina was interested mainly in developing his skating skills, lines, and making him a polished skater- but the problem is, he already excelled at these aspects even before he even went to her. Her goal was probably to make a Baiul out of him. :yikes: Extremely COP-unfriendly.Great accomplishment by winning first/only world medal in 08, but it wasn’t Galina’s coaching or Anissina’s choreo that got him there, but Takahashi, who did one extra combo jump too many.

Bad- Sasha leaving Tarasova
Good- Yagudin leaving Mishin for Tarasova/Morozov

I totally agree. I love what TATdid for Sasha, Yag's. Arakawa and even Mao. I think that a lot of people dont like that Tarasova likes bold, fiery, robustand sometimes dark music. With Cohen, she did wonders. Sasha's jumps were better, tighter and she was amazingly trained. Tarasova cant fix the psychological side. Also, she packaged Shizuka extremely well.

Marco
07-13-2010, 03:31 AM
TAT brought out the best in Kulik and Yagudin, I am sure she could have done the same to Weir. But Weir probably wouldn't fully listen to her either. Didn't she want him to skate to Liebstraum in 2006? Instead he chose to take inspiration from Slutskaya's trashy "feed the chicken" program, before finally falling back to Otonal :scream:

Like Galina, TAT would probably focus on having Weir go clean, but I am sure she could have added some fire and some highlight to his skating too. You gotta admit, as trashy as his recent Olympic outfits were, the actual skating was very dull.

orbitz
07-13-2010, 03:36 AM
Shizuka to Tarasova - she won her world title and while her following season was a disaster, that was from her lack of motivation

Richard Callahan always get the short end of the stick when it comes to Shizuka's World title. IMO, he deserves way more credit than TT for this.

Shizuka to Morozov - the partnership was relatively short but he was able to get her to peak at the Torino.

But Shizuka didn't peak at Torino. Peaking means that she skated her best. She didn't. It was adequate to get the job done when the favorites imploded but it did not compare to her 2004 World winning performance.

bardtoob
07-13-2010, 04:00 AM
Like Galina, TAT would probably focus on having Weir go clean, but I am sure she could have added some fire and some highlight to his skating too. You gotta admit, as trashy as his recent Olympic outfits were, the actual skating was very dull.

All the programs TAT did for Johnny were is every way superior to the cramp after 2005-06.

ETA: Even this long abandoned program has a look and feel that makes me feel like I am watching :wuzrobbed JOHNNY WEIR :(

Johnny Weir 2005 Japan International Challenge LP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNmfQ3J16nU)

Johnny Weir - US Nats 2006 - LP Selections by Maksim Mrvica (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p18Ffql5-g&feature=related)

Indra486
07-13-2010, 04:04 AM
Richard Callahan always get the short end of the stick when it comes to Shizuka's World title. IMO, he deserves way more credit than TT for this.

Very true. A very bad oversight on my part. :duh:

Polymer Bob
07-13-2010, 12:19 PM
It's being reported that Mingzhu Li is going back to China, and all of her students need to find another coach.

MikiAndoFan#1
07-13-2010, 12:51 PM
It's being reported that Mingzhu Li is going back to China, and all of her students need to find another coach.

:eek:

Will she quit coaching?

Polymer Bob
07-13-2010, 01:24 PM
:eek:

Will she quit coaching?

Apparently, she accepted a position with the Chinese federation. I'm not sure if she will actually be coaching.

olympic
07-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Apparently, she accepted a position with the Chinese federation. I'm not sure if she will actually be coaching.

I don't want to veer OT, but now I'm intrigued about who will coach CZ if this is indeed true...And if true, this may be a blessing in disguise for CZ: Being forced to another coach who may not put up with any B.S. from pupil or mom.