PDA

View Full Version : Military People, Dogs, Cats and War

sk8er1964
07-10-2010, 09:44 PM
My BIL's son served in Afghanistan a few years ago. He and his unit befriended a couple of dogs who were brought here to the US through a British animal rescue group. Oreo is living with my BIL now, due to bitch agression problems with Brownie, and Brownie is living with his other son and his family. They're been in the US for a year now.

Here's the website link for Oreo and Brownie and their rescue group, Nowzad Dogs (http://www.nowzad.com/2009/01/brownie-oreo/).

MY BIL just sent us this link (http://www.uso.org/usoonpatrol/article_no_buddy_left_behind.html) to another article about rescuing dogs and cats from Iraq. In this case it is the SPCA International.

I just thought I'd share. It's something people don't usually think about when they think about Afghanistan and Iraq.

DBZ
07-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Okay, could the dogs (or their names for that matter) be any cuter?

Thanks for sharing. Put a smile on my face.

SandraMGfan
07-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Amazing story, thanks for posting. Off to dry my tears after reading it!

Buzz
07-11-2010, 05:16 AM
Thanks for sharing sk8er1984. Wonderful story. :) I saw a documentary about this and pets are a big part of many soldiers tour of duty. Many said they just do know what they would have done without their pets. Because pets are a big source of comfort.

Holley Calmes
07-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Amazing story, thanks for posting. Off to dry my tears after reading it!

Yeah-no kidding. sniff! but with a smile-

Kruss
07-11-2010, 02:37 PM
We have a Military Affinity Group at my company which adopts units serving in Afghanistan and Iraq. During the year and especially on holidays, we support by sending letters, gifts, supplies and treats to those in our adopted units, and we also support local vet homes. Sadly, a soldier in one of our units was killed in the line of duty, so we also gathered a monetary gift for his widow and family.

We took on a project with Operation Baghdad Pups to help bring a dog home for a soldier. Unfortunately, the first dog we were trying to bring home was rounded up and killed while our soldier was out in the field, but another dog came up for rescue and I'm happy to report that dog is now safely home with the soldier's family here in the States, waiting for the soldier to come home.

This is a great cause. Thanks for bringing the information to FSU. :)