PDA

View Full Version : Gwyneth Paltrow: Most Perfect Person in the World

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

vesperholly
07-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Gillian Anderson spent much of her youth in England (I think age 5-15?) and speaks with an English accent when she's there, and an American accent in the US.

kwanfan1818
07-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Catherine Zeta Jones. Off the top of my head. It's been commented on in the British press.

But I think it's perfectly natural that someone who lives in the US and is married to an American would pick up an accent. :)
With Zeta Jones, I would think it's because it's the accent she most uses for work.

Indra486
07-13-2010, 02:18 AM
There was also a story about how she saw the script for Shakespeare in Love at her then-BFF Wynona Ryder's house (Ryder was first choice), called her agent and stole the part from under Wynona's nose. I've heard this from more than one source.

I've heard that too. Now, I don't really like Wynona's accent either in Little Women or The Crucible but she is a talented actress and I would have probably appeciated the film more. Gwyneth needs some work. I thought she was okay in Iron Man.

I'd like to know which UK actor living in the States has an American accent? Try and be more specific. The ones I've heard all seem to have their British accents quite intact.

I believe Christian Bale has said that to prepare for American roles, he would need to speak with an American accent so it would stay for filming. He also mentioned that when he isn't filming, he forgets what accent he's speaking in and finds himself speaking with an American one moreso than his Welsh accent.

mpal2
07-13-2010, 02:45 AM
I believe Christian Bale has said that to prepare for American roles, he would need to speak with an American accent so it would stay for filming. He also mentioned that when he isn't filming, he forgets what accent he's speaking in and finds himself speaking with an American one moreso than his Welsh accent.

I keep forgetting that he's not American. I wonder if his concentration on the accent is the reason for his wooden performances that are always the same no matter what character he plays. Cause he just sucks as an actor unless he gets a role that fits his one-note acting.

cruisin
07-13-2010, 02:47 AM
With Zeta Jones, I would think it's because it's the accent she most uses for work.

I've heard her interviewed and she speaks with a British accent, when not playing an American role. Though she does have a very good american accent.

overedge
07-13-2010, 06:01 AM
I've heard her interviewed and she speaks with a British accent, when not playing an American role.

She speaks with a *Welsh* accent.

equatorial
07-13-2010, 06:57 AM
Catherine Zeta Jones. Off the top of my head. It's been commented on in the British press.

It's been commented on by Dawn French too, who, while playing Catherine Zeta Jones in a sketch, switched from Welsh accent to American and then explained that you must speak like that "over 'ere", otherwise "no one sleeps with ya" ;) So, we can firmly conclude that Catherine Zeta Jones developed her American accent for purely pragmatic purposes (to get laid) :lol:

Prancer
07-13-2010, 07:26 AM
It's been commented on by Dawn French too, who, while playing Catherine Zeta Jones in a sketch, switched from Welsh accent to American and then explained that you must speak like that "over 'ere", otherwise "no one sleeps with ya" ;) So, we can firmly conclude that Catherine Zeta Jones developed her American accent for purely pragmatic purposes (to get laid) :lol:

A British accent is like an aphrodisiac to so many Americans that I think the opposite would be the case.

equatorial
07-13-2010, 10:12 AM
A British accent is like an aphrodisiac to so many Americans that I think the opposite would be the case.
CZJ developed an American accent to not get laid? ;)

Prancer
07-13-2010, 11:03 AM
CZJ developed an American accent to not get laid? ;)

If I were married to Michael Douglas, I'd do whatever it took.

VALuvsMKwan
07-13-2010, 12:17 PM
If I were married to Michael Douglas, I'd do whatever it took.

Stop talking about her grandfath/I mean husband that way (and thanks again to Dawn French for that). :lol:

John 3 17
07-13-2010, 01:40 PM

Wales is part of GBR, no? :P It's not like anyone called her accent "English".

-Bridget

cruisin
07-13-2010, 03:13 PM

I stand corrected :)

IceAlisa
07-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Stop talking about her grandfath/I mean husband that way (and thanks again to Dawn French for that). :lol:

What is the age difference exactly?

I do have to admit that strange things started happening to my inflection only after a few weeks of being in the UK. I am absolutely sure that had I stayed there a year I would develop a strong British accent whether I liked it or not.

Rex
07-13-2010, 04:34 PM
What is the age difference exactly?

26 years I think.