PDA

View Full Version : Gwyneth Paltrow: Most Perfect Person in the World

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

Rex
07-12-2010, 03:57 AM
But Martha Stewart is a bigoted idiot in addition to every other hateful thing she is. And she's malicious.

Really? What has Martha said or done to make her bigoted??

vesperholly
07-12-2010, 04:11 AM
Snooty McNepotism

That in a nutshell is why people hate Paltrow. At least she could have a measure of humbleness, gratefulness or even humor for the insanely privileged position she has been given in life. But the way she comes off, it's like she believes she sh!ts nuggets of gold.

I like many of her movies, including Sliding Doors and A Perfect Murder (in which she basically played herself), but I think the worshipful praise from Vogue and sundry other publications is ludicrous. Someone on an another board that I read said that Paltrow and Sienna Miller must have some truly heinous photos of Anna Wintour to get the kind of press they do from Vogue.

IceAlisa
07-12-2010, 04:49 AM
I thought her vitamin D deficiency was due to the lack of exposure to sunlight and is now reversed according to SFGate Dish, anyway.

No, I don't think she is drop dead gorgeous, attractive but not stunning. I think Blythe Danner is better looking actually.

jenny12
07-12-2010, 06:15 AM
Really? What has Martha said or done to make her bigoted??

Yeah, I may have missed something, but I've never heard Martha say gays wanting to get married is the equivalent of a person wanting to marry his/her toaster a la Hasselbeck.

VALuvsMKwan
07-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Her poorly accented portrayal of Violet that got her an Oscar?

Who wants to bet that Cate Blanchett would laugh her arse off if she ever bothered to read this "article"?

From what I've seen and heard of Jeffrey Steingarten, he and she (Paltrow) are a perfect match - pretentious, obnoxious snobs.

allezfred
07-12-2010, 10:09 AM
She even developed a faux British accent.

So you're the expert on real British accents then? :P

British actors who live in the US pick up American accents. I really have a hard time with why some of you can't understand that vice versa can happen too. Especially, if your husband is British and you live in the UK. It's not like Gwyneth lives in Malibu and woke up one day and decided to affect a British accent.

Not saying that Gwyneth isn't obnoxious. Just that the comments about her accent strike me as very petty and narrowminded.

Rex
07-12-2010, 12:38 PM
^^
I'd like to know which UK actor living in the States has an American accent? Try and be more specific. The ones I've heard all seem to have their British accents quite intact.

And let he who hath NOT been petty and narrowminded cast the first stone :P.

cruisin
07-12-2010, 03:17 PM
So you're the expert on real British accents then? :P

British actors who live in the US pick up American accents. I really have a hard time with why some of you can't understand that vice versa can happen too. Especially, if your husband is British and you live in the UK. It's not like Gwyneth lives in Malibu and woke up one day and decided to affect a British accent.

Not saying that Gwyneth isn't obnoxious. Just that the comments about her accent strike me as very petty and narrowminded.

If she had picked up a subtle accent on certain words and/or some colloquialisms after living there for many years, I would agree with you. However, she picked up her accent 5 minutes after moving there. And it pretty much sounds like the sad accent she "learned" for Shakespeare in Love. I have a friend who moved to Kentucky, after 10 years, she has a few words that she now says with a southern accent. But for the most part she sounds like she always has.

Paltrow's accent sounds more like Locust Valley Lockjaw than Brittish.

Oh, about Martha Stewart, the racism was not directed at gay people. There were some rather shocking reports on her, as to her treatment of those who are "less than", several years ago. I would have to try and find them. But she is a major bi!ch. Not just to underlings, but to family members as well.

Rex
07-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Oh, about Martha Stewart, the racism was not directed at gay people. There were some rather shocking reports on her, as to her treatment of those who are "less than", several years ago. I would have to try and find them. But she is a major bi!ch. Not just to underlings, but to family members as well.

I hope that isn't true, because I do admire her.

Bev Johnston
07-12-2010, 03:33 PM

A family that I know moved to London for two years for work. The daughter, 13 at the time, really embraced the culture and picked up the British accent and expressions fairly quickly. The son, who was 12, told us that he tried to fight it but did pick up a slight accent, although it was much less than that of his sister. The adults never picked it up that I could discern. BTW, both kids lost the accent within a month of moving back to the States.

This is how I think of Gweneth Paltrow:blah: I don't think she's evil, but I do think she is extremely pretentious. I'm not a fan, not a hater. I just don't care.

PDilemma
07-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Paltrow seems to be one of those people who has always lived in great privilege and simply has no idea what life is like for the rest of us. Her website really reflects that mindset of "everyone has as much money as me!"

equatorial
07-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Queennette Paltry-O the most perfect person in the world? Oh dear... Apocalypse is near after all. The signs are all here.

Jenny
07-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Part of the issue with the accent is that she picked it up around the time she made friends with Madonna, who was also sporting a fake accent at the time.

Either way, I find imperfect people to be much more interesting. :)

algonquin
07-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Paltrow seems to be one of those people who has always lived in great privilege and simply has no idea what life is like for the rest of us. Her website really reflects that mindset of "everyone has as much money as me!"That is my impression of Paltrow. For example, she spends three hours a day exercising. How many moms do you know that can do that?

allezfred
07-12-2010, 08:53 PM
^^
I'd like to know which UK actor living in the States has an American accent?

Catherine Zeta Jones. Off the top of my head. It's been commented on in the British press.

But I think it's perfectly natural that someone who lives in the US and is married to an American would pick up an accent. :)