PDA

View Full Version : Mel Gibson: Is his career over?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

cruisin
07-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Is there any evidence that he was physically abusive?

I know that this will probably sound awful. And I hope that it is taken correctly. Gibson has no right to be abusive in any way. And no woman deserves to be abused. That said, you have to wonder about this person. She knew, from his last arrest, that he is a "nutjob". She is much, much younger than him. Why did she get involved with him? Why did she have a child with him? Was she in love? Was she looking for $$$. Why did she record and publish this? Was it for protection? Or for $$$. NO excuses for Gibson, but is this girl a problem too?

Auntie
07-13-2010, 05:47 PM
He's always sorta had the "crazy eye" :eek: look to him...and his interviews have always been nervous/skittish seeming.

I have thought exactly the same thing for years. And when others would talk about his "hilarious" practical jokes, I always thought they made him sound like a bully.

Charisma, a little cleaning up and loads of money made a giant messed up angerball appear quirky rather than dangerous and scary. He kept up the illusion for a very long time.

skatingfan5
07-13-2010, 05:58 PM
:confused: Do you mean other than knocking out two of her teeth? (On the most recently released tape, she brings up that and he doesn't deny it or call her a liar. He threatens that he could "put her in a rose garden" some day, saying that she knows he is capable of that.) Or do you mean was he physically abusive to her before then?

oleada
07-13-2010, 06:00 PM

He basically admitted to it in the second tape. Grigorieva's attorneys also say they have the dental records to prove it.

My guess is that she recorded it because she was afraid for her own life, and for custody purposes. Mel has all the money and attorneys he wants available to him. I doubt these were the first times she had been threatened.

orbitz
07-13-2010, 06:10 PM
you have to wonder about this person. She knew, from his last arrest, that he is a "nutjob". She is much, much younger than him. Why did she get involved with him? Why did she have a child with him? Was she in love? Was she looking for $$$. Why did she record and publish this? Was it for protection? Or for $$$. NO excuses for Gibson, but is this girl a problem too?

1. I'm sure Gibson was quite charming during the courting stage.

2. If being arrested automatically eliminates someone from relationship material then there would be 3 times more single people in the world right now.

3. Whatever her motivation for releasing the tape may be, if Gibson was a genuinely decent guy then the tape would have never existed.

Winnipeg
07-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Boy, does Gibson ever sound like a jerk. I'll certainly never watch any of his movies again.

IceAlisa
07-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks, Mel for familiarizing me with a new racial slur. :rolleyes:

bek
07-13-2010, 09:15 PM
But it doesn't have to be that way. Gibson clearly has "issues", a real ugly side to him. But, by making this public his girlfriend threw down a gauntlet. I am sure that part of the reason she did it was that they are not married. She has a child with him and wants to be supported. Not being married, she might get decent child support, but not likely to get any sort of "alimony type" award. I am sure there is a monetary issue on both sides. She had to know what she was getting into, after his prior "explosions". Not blaming the victim, but it's always better to solve your disputes privately.

If I had some guy who was physically threatening me, well we'd be way beyond settling things privately. She may figure but releasing the tape publically Gibson will get help, and she'll get protection.

I believe she has a history of getting involved with extremely wealthy men. Doesn't she have a child with Timothy Dalton. While obviously Dalton is no Gibson, it seems that relationship was handled quietly. To be frank, considering the things Gibson is saying, I'm more than a bit loathe to see people blaming the victim.

Lacey
07-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Here's my beef with The View. Barbara has a very strong knee-jerk response whenever someone is misaligned by any one or all of her hosts, even if what they said is harmless. They come back retread and say things like purported and supposedly and we don't know when it seems like the network or those involved have threatened to sue them for saying bad things, even when we know those things to be 99% true. Barbara is out for heart surgery, and I think Whoopi is covering for her. That's why I think she supported Mel.

manleywoman
07-13-2010, 10:28 PM
He was almost never around, he was always making a movie. Robyn also had her own business. He is a notorious womanizer and she put up with him for the money and the kids. Eventually when his true nature came out in that 06 arrest she walked away. Also he was a well known nutjob for years, people didn't know he was a racist nutjob till recently. Also, his father is a well known Holocaust denier. That's pretty wacky.

Ahhh, yes, I forgot about holocaust daddy.

As for the rest, I wouldn't say it was well-known to the general public. Maybe in Hollywood, but I don't remember hearing anything negative or crazy about him until a few years back.

orbitz
07-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Here's my beef with The View. Barbara has a very strong knee-jerk response whenever someone is misaligned by any one or all of her hosts, even if what they said is harmless. They come back retread and say things like purported and supposedly and we don't know when it seems like the network or those involved have threatened to sue them for saying bad things, even when we know those things to be 99% true. Barbara is out for heart surgery, and I think Whoopi is covering for her. That's why I think she supported Mel.

I saw the View episode from yesterday. What Whoopie said was that she cannot claim that he's a racist. She said that Mel had been to her house a few times. She considered him a friend and the way that he interacted with her kids and her did not indicate that he was a racist. Therefore she wasn't going to chime in with Joyce calling him a racist. I thought that was a fair statement to make on Whoopi's part. She only wanted to judge Mel as the person that she had personal interaction with in the past. She did not attempt to defend Mel on his latest telephone rant.

The part that's iffy was when she said that she doesn't think what Mel said made him a racist. He was just being a Bonehead. And then the whole part about how drinking makes one do and say crazy bat sh*t things.

MOIJTO
07-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Don't you find it a bit ironic that Mel Gibson may face abuse charges but Elin Woods went after Tiger with a golf club and she got millions?

Sheesh, yes, Gibson is a scum ball big time and he needs medication and counseling but for the love of pete.

cruisin
07-13-2010, 11:40 PM
:confused: Do you mean other than knocking out two of her teeth? (On the most recently released tape, she brings up that and he doesn't deny it or call her a liar. He threatens that he could "put her in a rose garden" some day, saying that she knows he is capable of that.) Or do you mean was he physically abusive to her before then?

I did not listen to the tapes, other than the first one. It was so ugly, I didn't want to hear more. So, I guess he was physically abusive. Probably more than once.

3. Whatever her motivation for releasing the tape may be, if Gibson was a genuinely decent guy then the tape would have never existed.

Good point.

I'm more than a bit loathe to see people blaming the victim.

I was worried that someone would take what I said as blaming the victim. That was not my intent. I was just wondering if this woman had a habit of getting involved with wealthy men or celebrities. That still would not make what Gibson said and did okay.

genevieve
07-13-2010, 11:44 PM
The part that's iffy was when she said that she doesn't think what Mel said made him a racist.
Keep in mind that Whoopi also dated a white man who though appearing in blackface would be a good joke.

Actually, I looked up the incident, and it turns out that she co-wrote the material (I'd forgotten it happened at a Friar's Club roast of Whoopi).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Danson#Controversy

MOIJTO
07-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Keep in mind that Whoopi also dated a white man who though appearing in blackface would be a good joke.

Actually, I looked up the incident, and it turns out that she co-wrote the material (I'd forgotten it happened at a Friar's Club roast of Whoopi).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Danson#Controversy

Wasn't that Ted Danson? Another wise man! :rolleyes: