PDA

View Full Version : Mel Gibson: Is his career over?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Wyliefan
07-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Understood. But if he could get some help and his head on straight, then maybe -- maybe, I'm not saying definitely -- he could realize that he has a problem there and needs to work on it.

Rex
07-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Yup.

This is pretty minor compared to all the crap he's done and said, but he once made milkshakes for the cast in one of his movies, including one for Joaquin Phoenix, who's a strict vegan. Mel went ahead and put an egg in Joaquin's milkshake as a "joke". Hardy har har.

Now if that isn't a red flag.....on the surface it seems humorous, but that was cruel and sadistic.

BigB08822
07-10-2010, 09:04 PM
If Roman Polanski could continue to make movies despite being a wanted man for child sex crimes then I think Gibson can continue to make movies as well, but ONLY as director. I don't think we will see him acting again for a very very long time.

susan6
07-10-2010, 10:22 PM
The William Morris agency just dumped him as a client. So his career definitely will take a hit. But I agree with BigB08822; given the example of Polanski's career, Mel could probably continue as a director.

overedge
07-10-2010, 10:46 PM
The William Morris agency just dumped him as a client. So his career definitely will take a hit. But I agree with BigB08822; given the example of Polanski's career, Mel could probably continue as a director.

Not trying to defend what Polanski did, but he has a much longer and better track record as a director than Gibson does.
Plus, Polanski was only involved in the one criminal incident (although IIRC an actress in one of his later films recently came forward to make allegations of a similar incident). He certainly doesn't have the history of multiple incidents that Gibson does.

Indra486
07-10-2010, 10:50 PM
As I said earlier, the comparison isn't about the abhorrent behavior, because obviously there is no comparison. But what I was getting at was many critics, pundits etc. said Cruise's career was over after his rantings, much like they are saying the same things about Mel. And clearly Tom is still working. I suspect Mel will too.

Tom is working but his movies haven't been doing so well in the box-office since the various incidents in 2005. The only film that I can remember that Cruise appeared in and was received well critically and financially was Tropic Thunder. Of course, RDJ stole the show and rumors floated around whether Tom was really like Len Grossman behind stage. :shuffle:

Rex
07-10-2010, 11:04 PM
If Roman Polanski could continue to make movies despite being a wanted man for child sex crimes then I think Gibson can continue to make movies as well, but ONLY as director. I don't think we will see him acting again for a very very long time.

Yeah, for some reason, Polanski has been forgiven by Hollywood. But I don't know if I could even watch a movie Gibson directed anymore.

Wyliefan
07-11-2010, 01:52 AM
I certainly can't watch Polanski's. There are some I would have liked to watch, including The Pianist and Oliver Twist. But drugging and raping a young girl is a dealbreaker for me.

Rex
07-11-2010, 02:08 AM
I did see The Pianist, but honestly, I didn't realize that Polanski directed it until the Oscars :o. I can't say I won't watch it again; I watch Woody Allen movies too, despite his fall from grace (and his concurrent cluelessness). And when The Year of Living Dangerously comes on, I feel compelled to watch it - not because of Mel, he's a cipher to me now, but mainly because of Linda Hunt's amazing performance as Billy Kwan. She made that movie - NOT Mel.

Eden
07-11-2010, 02:22 AM
As far as Woody Allen and Roman Polanski's movies: while they both lost their charm as people, it still didn't make me to ignore their movies.
With Gibson the situation is totally diferent, he had too many incidents in which his true colors came up uglier time after time, and I have to admit that I lost any respect for him after his The Passion of the Christ.
It is after this movie's release that he said 'my father never lied to me', when he was asked to respond to his father's Holocaust denial.

kwanfan1818
07-11-2010, 02:31 AM
Jodie Foster has always come across as a smart, savvy and no-nonsense woman to me. I can't imagine that she would want to work with a man who is racist and misogynist.
She knew of his neanderthal views on women when she worked with him on "Maverick" and went on and on about what a great guy he was.

I think she'll stand by her bud.

Rex
07-11-2010, 02:53 AM
It is after this movie's release that he said 'my father never lied to me', when he was asked to respond to his father's Holocaust denial.
Which was telling. And disappointing. His dad is an absolute moron.

Cheylana
07-11-2010, 02:53 AM
With Gibson the situation is totally diferent, he had too many incidents in which his true colors came up uglier time after time, and I have to admit that I lost any respect for him after his The Passion of the Christ.
He SAID that?!? :eek: :o

I think Christians latched onto that movie because it was (and is) very rare for Christian-themed movies to make it to the mainstream; nobody wanted to believe that the guy behind this "great" movie had bad intentions. :(

KHenry14
07-11-2010, 02:54 AM
Tom is working but his movies haven't been doing so well in the box-office since the various incidents in 2005. The only film that I can remember that Cruise appeared in and was received well critically and financially was Tropic Thunder. Of course, RDJ stole the show and rumors floated around whether Tom was really like Len Grossman behind stage. :shuffle:

You are correct, Tropic Thunder is about the only good movie Cruise has been in lately. Valkyrie was bad, Knight and Day was kinda ridiculous, but if you look at his imdb page, he's got a lot of things coming up...

Mel's next film is already in the can, "The Beaver" about a guy who communicates only through a beaver hand puppet. Gotta feeling Jodie Foster is sorry she cast him...

overedge
07-11-2010, 03:00 AM
Mel's next film is already in the can, "The Beaver" about a guy who communicates only through a beaver hand puppet. Gotta feeling Jodie Foster is sorry she cast him...

Wow. It sounds like his career was already on the decline before the latest outburst, if this is the sort of work he was getting.....