PDA

View Full Version : Mel Gibson: Is his career over?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Buzz
07-10-2010, 12:08 PM
I gave this guy the benefit of the doubt during the last incident but not now. Mel is done. I think that no one in his/her right mind will put him in any of their movies.

MOIJTO
07-10-2010, 01:13 PM
I've never forgiven him for his bastardization of history in Braveheart and The Patriot. He deserves severe rebuke for those two pictures, no matter how entertaining they were or how lovely the cinematography. Horrible, horrible history, and Braveheart quite anti-homosexuality as well. To say he is anti-British is an understatement. Why, I have always wondered. Seriously, he's a jerk for more than making 2 historically incorrect movies, and I could've hated him just for that. But wait-there's more!

I have never seen these movies, Mel Gibson has never had my attention, its that "intuition" thing I have for slimy men.

Knowing your knowledge of history, I will never see them!!! :)

cruisin
07-10-2010, 02:29 PM
I think with Tom Cruise, his behavior was more weird and goofy while Mel Gibson's was offensive and violent. Yeah, jumping on the coach and claiming he understands the history of psychology is wacky, but I think overall it's something people can laugh at, while Mel Gibson's is something to be disgusted over.

Tom Cruise's behavior was more than weird and goofy. He insulted women (the existence of post partum depression) and any person who has ever taken a medication for any psych disorder.

However, he was not violent of racist.

If this tape was recorded by Grigorieva, one has to wonder why. Women do not plan and set up to record the men in their lives, unless there has been some sort of on going abuse.

When Gibson was in the "Lethal Weapon" movies, I was always amazed at his ability to look crazed, in certain scenes, it seemed so real. Not so amazed anymore, it was real.

paskatefan
07-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Gibson belongs to an ugly holywood history.

He has enough money to make movies, all right, but I hope that the # of audience they will reach will be: 0. :P

Amen!

Rex
07-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Racist, anti-semitist, misogynist, drunk, abusive, asshole? I sure hope as hell it is.

I've never forgiven him for his bastardization of history in Braveheart and The Patriot. He deserves severe rebuke for those two pictures, no matter how entertaining they were or how lovely the cinematography. Horrible, horrible history, and Braveheart quite anti-homosexuality as well. To say he is anti-British is an understatement. Why, I have always wondered. Seriously, he's a jerk for more than making 2 historically incorrect movies, and I could've hated him just for that. But wait-there's more!

He got in trouble for making homophobic comments when he was promoting "Bird on a Wire" with Goldie Hawn. Some unsavory comments about anal sex.

From Wikipedia (in red for obvious reasons):

The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) accused Gibson of homophobia after a December 1991 interview in the Spanish newspaper El País. Asked what he thought of gay people, he said, "They take it up the ass." Gibson then proceeded to point at his posterior and said: "This is only for taking a shit." When reminded that he had worked closely with gay people at drama school, Gibson said, "They were good people, kind, I like them. But their thing is not my thing." When the interviewer asked if Gibson was afraid that people would think he is gay because he's an actor, Gibson replied, "Do I sound like a homosexual? Do I talk like them? Do I move like them? What happens is when you're an actor, they stick that label on you."[91][95] Gibson later defended his comments on Good Morning America, saying, "[Those remarks were a response] to a direct question. If someone wants my opinion, I'll give it. What, am I supposed to lie to them?"[95] In his 1995 Playboy interview, he responded to GLAAD's protests over his comment with "I'll apologize when hell freezes over. They can **** off".[88] Eventually, however, Gibson joined GLAAD in hosting 10 lesbian and gay filmmakers for an on-location seminar on the set of the movie Conspiracy Theory in January 1997.[96] In 1999 when asked about the comments to El País, Gibson said, "I shouldn't have said it, but I was tickling a bit of vodka during that interview, and the quote came back to bite me on the ass."[89]

Gibson has been criticized for homophobia over his films Braveheart[97] and The Passion of the Christ.[98]

CynicElle
07-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Remember that Simpsons episode about how Gibson couldn't get any good criticism for his movies because everybody just loved him so much? I bet we don't see that one popping up in reruns any time soon.

cruisin
07-10-2010, 04:27 PM
He got in trouble for making homophobic comments when he was promoting "Bird on a Wire" with Goldie Hawn. Some unsavory comments about anal sex.

From Wikipedia (in red for obvious reasons):

It's sad that he is this way. It's sad that he thinks this way, and sad that he does not have enough sense to keep his ugly thoughts to himself.

As far as his career. I suppose that it will be hurt, as those of us who are offended by what he says will boycott. But, let's not forget that there are other racist, misogynistic, homophobic asshats out there who will still think he's great. :scream:

orbitz
07-10-2010, 04:56 PM
It's sad that he is this way. It's sad that he thinks this way, and sad that he does not have enough sense to keep his ugly thoughts to himself.

When you had too much to drink and/or get extremely angry, your true feelings tend to come out. I think it's good that racist people don't have the sense to keep their true feelings to themselves, otherwise how else would you identity them.

As far as his career. I suppose that it will be hurt, as those of us who are offended by what he says will boycott.

Mel is so rich now that financially it won't hurt him if he never appear on camera again.

genevieve
07-10-2010, 05:23 PM
If this tape was recorded by Grigorieva, one has to wonder why. Women do not plan and set up to record the men in their lives, unless there has been some sort of on going abuse.

Gibson allegedly beat up Grigorieva in January, knocking out 2 of her teeth. She began recording calls because she was afraid of him (from the accompanying article in the original link).

KHenry14
07-10-2010, 05:35 PM
You can't compare Cruise's jumping on Oprah's couch to Mel's racist angry rant.

As I said earlier, the comparison isn't about the abhorrent behavior, because obviously there is no comparison. But what I was getting at was many critics, pundits etc. said Cruise's career was over after his rantings, much like they are saying the same things about Mel. And clearly Tom is still working. I suspect Mel will too.

skatesindreams
07-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Gibson belongs to an ugly holywood history.

He has enough money to make movies, all right, but I hope that the # of audience they will reach will be: 0. :P

Amen!
He has squandered himself, personally and professionally.
His first wife is well rid of him; all others should be forwarned.

Rex
07-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Gibson allegedly beat up Grigorieva in January, knocking out 2 of her teeth. She began recording calls because she was afraid of him (from the accompanying article in the original link).

This reeks of control freak and bullying from him. I despise him.

oleada
07-10-2010, 07:03 PM
This reeks of control freak and bullying from him. I despise him.

Yup.

This is pretty minor compared to all the crap he's done and said, but he once made milkshakes for the cast in one of his movies, including one for Joaquin Phoenix, who's a strict vegan. Mel went ahead and put an egg in Joaquin's milkshake as a "joke". Hardy har har.

Wyliefan
07-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Take this with a grain of salt, because it's from IMDb, but he's reportedly bipolar. That + alcohol = very, very bad. Some of my relatives have bipolar disorder, and on occasion (before the right medication was found for the person in question) things have come very close to violence.

I'm not excusing Mel. I only wonder what would happen if he got proper treatment, took his meds, and swore off the booze. He might be able to pull himself together and clean up his act -- if he's willing to try.

Coco
07-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Honestly, though, I know plenty of bipolar people - unfortunately - who don't EVER utter racial epithets.

HE IS A RACIST who happens to have bi-polar disorder, apparently. The two things are NOT always found together.