PDA

View Full Version : Mel Gibson: Is his career over?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21

numbers123
07-21-2010, 04:58 PM
It is. My parents divorced, it was horrible. My brother and I were in our 20's and we were still dragged into it. As bad as it is for small kids, it's also bad for adult kids, just for different reasons. And even now, my Dad passed away 2 years ago, we still have to hear about it from my mother.

Divorce is never pretty, but then marriage can be the same way. And the custodial parent will be the one that the child will hear over and over and over again maligning the other parent.

Anita18
07-21-2010, 07:42 PM
It is. My parents divorced, it was horrible. My brother and I were in our 20's and we were still dragged into it. As bad as it is for small kids, it's also bad for adult kids, just for different reasons. And even now, my Dad passed away 2 years ago, we still have to hear about it from my mother.
It depends on the parties involved, though. My bf's parents divorced when he was around 4, and he doesn't remember any animosity after that. I mean, there definitely could have been in those early years, but everyone gets along beautifully now. Everybody shows up to Thanksgiving and it's one big happy family. The ex-husband is even helping take care of his former FIL.

The only thing I've ever heard him complain about re: his childhood is how his mom was/is a worrywart helicopter parent. :lol: Nothing at all about the divorce or having to move between households.

Divorce is never pretty, but then marriage can be the same way. And the custodial parent will be the one that the child will hear over and over and over again maligning the other parent.
Yeah, there was some drama over at my cousin's wedding since one of my other cousins didn't want to show up with her mom. :yikes: She's caught in the middle of a nasty custody battle over her younger brother, whom the parents completely disagree on how to raise.

cruisin
07-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Yeah, there was some drama over at my cousin's wedding since one of my other cousins didn't want to show up with her mom. :yikes: She's caught in the middle of a nasty custody battle over her younger brother, whom the parents completely disagree on how to raise.

My wedding turned into a battleground. My father's family wouldn't/weren't allowed to talk to my mother or her family. Seating was a nightmare. I was caught in the middle, trying to keep everyone happy. The one who wound up with the misery, was me. :rolleyes: The stuff that got/gets brought up with regard to how I or my brother should have sided with one or the other of them is just :scream:. Obviously not from Dan anymore, but my mother still gives me crap that I should have been there for her more. I worked full time in NYC, I had just gotten married, she left my father, and both of them were trying to put me and my brother in the middle. I stayed out of it as best I could. But you can't win in these situations.

Civic
07-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Now if that isn't a red flag.....on the surface it seems humorous, but that was cruel and sadistic.

I concur. At the very least, it displayed Gibson's lack of respect for Joaquin Phoenix.

Latte
07-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by skatingfan5:

I apologize for using the word, rape, in such a manner, but grossly unfair divorce settlements really annoy me. As for Mel's financial problems, I am basing my opinion solely on the tape where Mel indicates that the cause of his problems is the fact that he has to support everyone else. He never mentions bad investments, the global economy, or any other cause, so there is no rationale for concluding that these caused his financial problems.
Have you forgotten that Mel and Robin were married for almost 30 years and had 7 children? That she was with him in the beginning when he had nothing and stood by him then?
Have you forgotten that Cal. is a equal division of assets state?
Robin deserved every penny she got.

Allskate
07-23-2010, 11:00 PM
Have you forgotten that Mel and Robin were married for almost 30 years and had 7 children? That she was with him in the beginning when he had nothing and stood by him then?
Have you forgotten that Cal. is a equal division of assets state?
Robin deserved every penny she got.

I seriously doubt his financial problems are just due to having to support others. Most of his kids aren't even minors are they? And even if the wife is leaving him with half and he's paying some child support, half of hundreds of millions of dollars is still a LOT of money. There have to be other causes for his financial problems other than supporting wife and kids. Or maybe he's just short on cash because he's got everything tied up in things like mansions, cars, stocks, etc., which is why he is selling things.

Octoberopals
07-25-2010, 03:21 AM
Is it really an economical advantage for either party.....especially if there are multiple homes that an individual could live in?

Rex
07-25-2010, 04:55 AM
I concur. At the very least, it displayed Gibson's lack of respect for Joaquin Phoenix.

Surely. He's got a sociopathic streak a mile wide.

bek
07-25-2010, 05:16 AM
Surely. He's got a sociopathic streak a mile wide.

Mel showed me his sociopathic side when he produced Paparazzi. A movie that literally IMO glorified serial killing.

Angelskates
07-30-2010, 04:02 AM
DiCaprio pulls out of Gibson film (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=7937379)

Leonardo DiCaprio has reportedly pulled out of Mel Gibson's latest movie project in a bid to distance himself from the scandal-prone actor.

ArtisticFan
07-30-2010, 04:22 AM
However, in Polanski's case, I don't care how amazing the film, he should not have been nominated for any awards.

While personally I don't watch his films or root for him to win, I fail to see the Academy or any other organization that hands out awards for films as the police. The rules and guidelines don't to the best of my knowledge exclude him at this point and time. It is unlikely that would change.

Many Oscar winners have legal troubles though they aren't necessarily hiding from the police. So where does the line get drawn? Crimes against children? Ok...I can buy that. But what about DUI? One could argue that DUI could be a crime against children because they are just as much in danger with a drunk driver on the road as an adult.

It would honestly take public outrage to deny Polanski an award that his peers felt he had earned. But the truth is that the majority of the public reacted in an apathetic, ignorant, or passive way when he did win.

To bring it back to the topic at hand, Mel might find that he has his Hollywood friends, but that the public support and wallets aren't behind him. There will always be management firms and film companies willing to take a chance on him for two reasons. 1. It would be a challenge. 2. Imagine the money to be made if he is able to redeem himself in the public eye.

Prancer
07-30-2010, 04:44 AM
Mel has been cleared for visitation by Children's Services.

I don't think anyone has posted this yet, but Mel produced and directed a music video for Oksana when they were still together: Beautiful Heartache (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpgXTlzDE1I)

:saint:

IceAlisa
07-30-2010, 06:17 AM
I lasted 1 min 35 seconds. It should really be called Beautiful Toothache.

kwanfan1818
07-30-2010, 06:35 AM
Not necessarily, since (a) the community property laws mean the property is divided regardless of duration and (b) temporary spousal support may still be required, while the spouse who needs it re-trains, finds work, etc.
That's what I meant to say, it's good that there isn't a ten-year rule too for dividing community property and/or spousal support, the info from your other post. Tying everything to a ten-year mark would be too much incentive.

genevieve
07-30-2010, 07:09 AM
...And the custodial parent will be the one that the child will hear over and over and over again maligning the other parent.
Not necessarily.