PDA

View Full Version : Mel Gibson: Is his career over?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21

Norlite
07-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Quite frankly, I don't believe for one second this will impact Gibson's career at all. I think the fact that he is getting older, not the young handsome guy he once was will affect his career more than anything else.

Yes, I know he ranted like the crazy guy he is, that his career is over. I'm sure he's felt that for a while since again, those types of roles are not available to him. His career now, whether any of this became public or not, will consist mostly of supporting roles, character roles or behind the camera.

Let a good script (read moneymaking) fall into his lap, after a short while, and Hollywood will fall all over themselves loving him.

Latte
07-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Some sources are speculating now that Mel is considering moving back to Australia with his ex-wife.

Article (http://blog.zap2it.com/thedishrag/2010/07/mel-gibson-may-leave-us-and-return-to-australia.html)

Other sources deny this.

I could definitely see him maintaining a viable presence in the industry more easily if he decided to move away.

I heard on tv last night that they are still married, the divorce is not final yet.

susan6
07-19-2010, 06:37 PM
I dunno....Polanski and Allen basically had one victim of what they did. Mel Gibson has one direct victim (Oksana) but the slurs against gays, Jews, African Americans and Hispanics in his rants....that's going to piss off a lot of people.

bandit
07-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by cruisin:
Personally, depending on what happens to him legally, I think he should go away from the public, permanently. I think he needs extended rehab and therapy. I think he should take his money, find some place where he can stay out of trouble, and live out his life.

But can he really afford to do that? The content of the tapes seems to indicate that Mel is having financial problems. He has said that he made millions of dollars, but now has no money because he has to support everyone else. He also says that he has had to sell off paintings and give up his season tickets to the Lakers' games. I also suspect that this is the reason he got back into acting after such a long break. He needed the money. Only now he's in his fifties and doesn't have the earning power he had when he was younger. I think his financial problems are at the root of his anger. He must have gotten raped in his divorce settlement. Divorce laws are very disproportionate and need to be overhauled. There is no reason why Mel, after so many years of success, should be having financial problems, but he is. He shouldn't have to work at this point unless he really wants to, but he does. I'm not saying that it's okay for him to take his anger out on others, but I can understand why he is angry and frankly don't blame him. I don't really see him just isolating himself somewhere and living out his days. He's going to have to keep working, but he's going to need some help from the film community, and hopefully somebody will lend him a hand.

ArtisticFan
07-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Please see posts 244, 245, & 246 for explanation :)

I guess, my comments were based on some of the posting on the Polanski thread. There are some who do not think he should be extradited and face his sentence. Apparently the Swiss government agrees :rolleyes:. You are right that there were some who said they would never watch their films, I am one of them, and I haven't. With the exception of Vicky Cristina Barcelona, because I didn't realize that Allen directed it before I went to see it. However, I think many people who felt that way at the time those men committed their, um, "indiscretions", have mellowed and not held to their boycott. And the same will probably happen with Gibson.

And FTR, I did not say any of them were more or less horrible or important. I said they were all equally horrible :).

But it honestly depends on how Polanski and Gibson choose to pitch their work. Polanski, while a child predator, has done his work in a much more quiet fashion than Gibson ever has. There is a difference in promoting the work they do.

Polanski's work is touted by its actors, actresses, etc. He rarely puts his name out there on it in bold letters like Gibson does. The Pianist is known as that. It is not known or publically referred to as Polanski's The Pianist. Gibson puts his name on everything (or at least his handlers have). The Passion of the Christ became Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ. Gibson shows up front and center for press junkets and appears to speak for his movies even moreso than his actors/actresses. That might change after this, but I somehow doubt it. He doesn't seem like a back seat person to me.

You also can't discount the amount of media coverage of this vs. Polanski. There is no tape of Polanski with the girl to keep running every time they talk about the story. There are no incriminating pics to illustrate the story, etc. Gibson's got to deal with that. I wasn't around when Polanski did what he did. So no I don't have a connection to it like I might with Gibson. That doesn't mean I'm on Polanski's side. It just means that each time I turned on the television, Internet or raido I wasn't greeted with angry photos and ranting recordings. I have read accounts of what he did, but that doesn't strike out as hard as audio of the events or visuals that speak even louder.

As far as Hollywood is concerned there is little correlation between actors/directors and the crimes they commit. The support comes from them a.) having the addiction of the week and b.) being treated unfairly by the justice system. That is how Polanski gets his support. He is portrayed as the victim by the Hollywood elite because his PR team did a good job of saying he didn't deserve such a "harsh" punishment. We'll have to see with Gibson. Some of the elite have come to his defense already, but others have remained silent.

heckles
07-19-2010, 06:47 PM
The content of the tapes seems to indicate that Mel is having financial problems. He has said that he made millions of dollars, but now has no money because he has to support everyone else. He also says that he has had to sell off paintings and give up his season tickets to the Lakers' games.

It's pretty hard to be sympathetic that poor widdle Mel has chosen to sell off some of his fine art. When he has to sell his plasma, then he'll deserve sympathy.

skatingfan5
07-19-2010, 06:53 PM
But can he really afford to do that? The content of the tapes seems to indicate that Mel is having financial problems. He has said that he made millions of dollars, but now has no money because he has to support everyone else. He also says that he has had to sell off paintings and give up his season tickets to the Lakers' games. ... I think his financial problems are at the root of his anger. He must have gotten raped in his divorce settlement. .... There is no reason why Mel, after so many years of success, should be having financial problems, but he is. He shouldn't have to work at this point unless he really wants to, but he does. I'm not saying that it's okay for him to take his anger out on others, but I can understand why he is angry and frankly don't blame him.... He's going to have to keep working, but he's going to need some help from the film community, and hopefully somebody will lend him a hand.I absolutely abhor the use of "rape" in this manner. :mad: Thank you in advance for not trivializing it again.

As for the source of Mel's anger -- financial problems might have made a contribution -- the booze certainly isn't helping matters. As for the source of any financial problems -- there are many who have made a lot of money who have not been able to manage it wisely -- or who have lost it through bad investments -- or more recently have lost it through the global financial downturn. No reason to think that Mel's divorce is the main, much less sole, reason for any money problems he is having.

Perhaps someone in the industry will give Mel a helping hand -- not sure who would be willing to do so in a major way given Mel's current behavior. He'll probably have to just settle for watching the Laker's on TV like the hoi polloi for a while.

olympic
07-19-2010, 07:17 PM
-Recent Racist, misogynistic rant
-Anti-Semitic rant a few years back
-belittling GLBTs with talk about how icky he thought anal sex was in the early 90s during a Euro magazine interview [for the record, he met with GLAAD later in the 90s I think to resolve this. But why is this the first thing to pop into his mind in the first place???]

This man's mind is in need of help.

bandit
07-19-2010, 08:29 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by heckles:
[It's pretty hard to be sympathetic that poor widdle Mel has chosen to sell off some of his fine art. When he has to sell his plasma, then he'll deserve sympathy./QUOTE]

I never said that you should be sympathetic toward Mel, only that he should not be in this predicament, given how much money he has made, and that this could be the source of a lot of his anger.

WindSpirit
07-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Please see posts 244, 245, & 246 for explanation :) I read the thread before I posted. I still don't understand why we need to compare those cases. And if we do, why do we need to keep comparing them over and over again.

I guess, my comments were based on some of the posting on the Polanski thread. There are some who do not think he should be extradited and face his sentence. Apparently the Swiss government agrees :rolleyes:. But Polanski has his own thread, why are we discussing it in a Mel Gibson thread?

"The Pianist" made $32m in US sales (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=pianist.htm), and nearly triple that in foreign sales. It also won six Palme d'Or awards at Cannes. It was a pretty artsy movie, and artsy film audiences usually know the players. The Pianist is one of my favorite movies. And I think it deserved an Oscar for direction. I'm speaking from a movie-making point of view entirely. Should serious offenders be able to still receive prizes for their work, I don't know. Should people like Polanski be condemned for life and prevented from contributing to the society in the best way they can (and in his case, making movies)? I respect anyone's decision not to watch any of his movies (or Mel's or Allen's), but to me The Pianist is one of the best movies on the subject. I don't care about Polanski's other movies, but I'm glad he made this one and that I've seen it. While I liked Spielberg's Schindler's List, compared to The Pianist it just seems too Hollywood. Polanski made a movie about something much greater than himself or his life, and it had a great impact on me.

I think the point of comparison is that it's interesting to see what transgressions are career destroyers. Oh I don't think Mel's career is going to suffer more than theirs, if that's the problem.

bandit
07-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by skatingfan5:

I absolutely abhor the use of "rape" in this manner. Thank you in advance for not trivializing it again.

As for the source of Mel's anger -- financial problems might have made a contribution -- the booze certainly isn't helping matters. As for the source of any financial problems -- there are many who have made a lot of money who have not been able to manage it wisely -- or who have lost it through bad investments -- or more recently have lost it through the global financial downturn. No reason to think that Mel's divorce is the main, much less sole, reason for any money problems he is having.

I apologize for using the word, rape, in such a manner, but grossly unfair divorce settlements really annoy me. As for Mel's financial problems, I am basing my opinion solely on the tape where Mel indicates that the cause of his problems is the fact that he has to support everyone else. He never mentions bad investments, the global economy, or any other cause, so there is no rationale for concluding that these caused his financial problems.

oleada
07-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Mel had no prenup. Under California law, a marriage that lasts longer than 10 years gets assets divided 50/50 (if I'm wrong, someone like reckless can jump in and correct me) Additionally, only one of his kids with Robyn is under 18. So, he was worth around 900 million at the time (and I'm sorry, I can't remember where I read this or I'd link to a source) of his divorce, I hardly feel bad for him.

heckles
07-20-2010, 12:08 AM
I never said that you should be sympathetic toward Mel, only that he should not be in this predicament, given how much money he has made, and that this could be the source of a lot of his anger.

Right, but should he feel angry? He should have known that cheating on his wife could led to divorce, which leads to losing some of the marital assets. Apparently it was all worth it since Oksana wasn't his first fling.

cruisin
07-20-2010, 12:26 AM
I read the thread before I posted. I still don't understand why we need to compare those cases. And if we do, why do we need to keep comparing them over and over again.

But Polanski has his own thread, why are we discussing it in a Mel Gibson thread?

We were discussing others in the entertainment field who behaved atrociously and whether or not their careers were effected.

Should people like Polanski be condemned for life and prevented from contributing to the society in the best way they can (and in his case, making movies)?

Well, it would be difficult to prevent a person from making a movie on their own. However, in Polanski's case, I don't care how amazing the film, he should not have been nominated for any awards. Had he stayed in the US and accepted his sentence, that would be different. But he ran away. He's a sleaze and a coward.

If Gibson runs to Australia to escape any legal action in the US. He should be extradited and brought to justice.

Norlite
07-20-2010, 12:29 AM
I heard on tv last night that they are still married, the divorce is not final yet.

Interesting. I wonder if that's true.