PDA

View Full Version : Mel Gibson: Is his career over?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

skatingfan5
07-15-2010, 07:52 PM
I know we don't like to speculate in these here parts :).

But I'm wondering if Mel is a survivor of some form of abuse as a child.I have no idea -- but his father certainly sounds like he has a few screws loose.

zowie
07-15-2010, 08:15 PM
I think that Gibson should have been more careful in how he treats women.

soxxy
07-15-2010, 08:25 PM
He also spoke a bit about the California law issue and if the tapes are admissable. He said that according to the attorneys on the case, they typically would not be because both parties would have to be informed. However, there is a loophole/caveat for situations of threats and violence.

If he's confirmed in some way on those tapes saying that she "deserved" the beating while she held her baby, I imagine those portions, at least, would be admissable (provided the tapes can be authenticated).

ETA: Donald Trump was on one of the entertainment shows filled with wisdom last night. He said he knew when he met Oksana she was no good for Mel. :rolleyes:

skatesindreams
07-15-2010, 08:55 PM
I have no idea -- but his father certainly sounds like he has a few screws loose.

Gibson's father, in addition to being a "Holocaust Denier" was also a well known ultra-conservative Catholic. He raised his family as such. Those beliefs formed the foundation for some of the ideas that Mel espouses in "The Passion" film, many of which were controversial, to say the least.

Doubletoe
07-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Gibson's father, in addition to being a "Holocaust Denier" was also a well known ultra-conservative Catholic. He raised his family as such. Those beliefs formed the foundation for some of the ideas that Mel espouses in "The Passion" film, many of which were controversial, to say the least.

By "ultra-conservative" do you mean medieval? Because I've always wondered about Mel's apparent fascination with torture and suffering (I could never watch more than a few scenes of "Passion of the Christ"!). He definitely seems to have developed a twisted association between religion and violence at some point.

I can't help but wonder what his first wife experienced, spending that many years and having 7 kids with him. . . and she was always completely out of the spotlight, barefoot & pregnant, so to speak. I'm guessing she would have lots of stories to tell, but never has because she depended on Mel's good reputation for her own livelihood and the kids'. No successful films = no child support or alimony. Financially, this whole situation could affect her more than anyone because his lowered income could lead to a big reduction in his child/spousal support payments.

bek
07-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Financially, this whole situation could affect her more than anyone because his lowered income could lead to a big reduction in his child/spousal support payments.

I have to believe that she's already gotten quite a lot of money from the divorce. Also, if I understand correctly most of their kids are already grown. It will hurt her, but I'm not sure how much.

skatingfan5
07-15-2010, 09:34 PM
I can't help but wonder what his first wife experienced, spending that many years and having 7 kids with him. . . Financially, this whole situation could affect her more than anyone because his lowered income could lead to a big reduction in his child/spousal support payments.Six of their seven children range in age from 30-20 years, so I don't think that child support would be forthcoming for them. The youngest son is only 11, so there are still some years that Mel would be responsible for his support.

Sparks
07-15-2010, 10:32 PM
If he's confirmed in some way on those tapes saying that she "deserved" the beating while she held her baby, I imagine those portions, at least, would be admissable (provided the tapes can be authenticated).

ETA: Donald Trump was on one of the entertainment shows filled with wisdom last night. He said he knew when he met Oksana she was no good for Mel. :rolleyes:

The thing is, making verbal threats like he did is against the law = assault. The tapes are admissible on that basis alone.

cruisin
07-15-2010, 11:35 PM
I can't help but wonder what his first wife experienced, spending that many years and having 7 kids with him. . .

It's possible he was not abusive with her. If he does have some sort of mental illness, he could have gone over the edge later in life. It may be that the first arrest incident and the divorce pushed him over some threshold. It could be that he's drinking more now.

It's rather bizarre that this is the same man who starred in the film "What a Woman Wants".

genevieve
07-15-2010, 11:47 PM
It's rather bizarre that this is the same man who starred in the film "What a Woman Wants".
I don't think so - I found that movie to be incredibly patronizing.

cruisin
07-16-2010, 12:21 AM
I don't think so - I found that movie to be incredibly patronizing.

Oh, I agree, I thought the movie was asinine. But the concept is that by being able to hear women's thoughts, the man becomes enlightened and sensitive to women's needs. Just seems ironical to me.

numbers123
07-16-2010, 01:00 AM
I'm guessing she would have lots of stories to tell, but never has because she depended on Mel's good reputation for her own livelihood and the kids'. No successful films = no child support or alimony. Financially, this whole situation could affect her more than anyone because his lowered income could lead to a big reduction in his child/spousal support payments.

If these women were smart (and I don't know that they are or are not), they would have banked the money and live frugally.

But once you have money, it is hard to not spend.

overedge
07-16-2010, 02:51 AM

I was thinking today about the huge irony of Mel building his own private chapel and starting his own congregation, because the "traditional" Catholic church isn't true enough to Jesus' word for him, and because other Catholics aren't as good and faithful Christians as he is. The "traditional" Catholic church has its own set of problems with saying one thing and doing another, but I'm trying to think of the Christian theology which says it's OK to beat your girlfriend and make death-threat harassment phone calls to her...

ETA: Oh look! Mel's nutjob dad has a website!
http://www.huttongibson.com

orbitz
07-16-2010, 04:06 AM

Can you imagine if the film was being released this week or anytime this year? Yikes. I know Mel was/is filming a movie with Jodie Foster. Jodie and the studio have got to be worried about what all these negative press means to the future of their film.

heckles
07-16-2010, 04:17 AM
Does Gibson deserve better?

Considering the way Mel conducts himself on the tape, about the only thing he deserves is a hot poker up the yazoo.