PDA

View Full Version : Fellow FSU Knitters I Need Your Help Please!!

Pages : 1 [2]

Anita18
07-10-2010, 09:41 PM
You no longer need an invitation to join Ravelry. Just go here (http://www.ravelry.com/invitations) and enter your information.

Knitting in the round is going to be my next challenge.
I was actually pretty surprised at how easy it was. I started with a coaster, then went on to fingerless gloves. I've also knitted with circular needles but find it easier to knit fingerless gloves with DPNs. My wrists are tiny and Magic Loop requires some fanagling.

Picking your way between the multiple ends is kind of fun. :lol: It does look rather dangerous when you're in the middle of it.

MOIJTO
07-10-2010, 11:40 PM
You no longer need an invitation to join Ravelry. Just go here (http://www.ravelry.com/invitations) and enter your information.

Knitting in the round is going to be my next challenge.

Its so easy (you'll fall in love...sorry had to do it) that you most likely will not go back to traditional knitting. I avoid patterns that are not done in the round and I LOVE top/down sweaters. I also love socks on a single circular, I have yet to try 2 socks on one circular, but then again I am a lazy knitter and usually have about 5-10 projects started but never finished! :shuffle:

HisWeirness
07-11-2010, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the tips. Next on my shopping list are some DPNs. :)

MOIJTO
07-12-2010, 12:33 AM
Another note to the novice knitters here:

Find a knitting group or a good LYS (local yarn store) they can be tremendous help for new knitters.

I learned (actually re-learned) from a local sit-n-knit group, plus its a nice evening out. :)

AragornElessar
07-12-2010, 03:13 AM
Once again...Thanks to one and all for the help and advice. I really do appreciate it. :)

It is a wee bit tricky getting started knitting in the round, but now that I'm in that inbetween stage going from Beginner to Intermediate and have done a couple of socks in the round, it's getting easier. In fact, the completed sock of the pair I'm knitting, is the first time I've done a knitted in the round project where I didn't have to start it over again due to a screw up.

Yay me!!

I really do need to check out Ravelry. Since I'm at my sister's tonight, I might just do that. She has High Speed and I'm still stuck on Dial Up, so...

Yeah. Got to love being stuck in Rural Canada... :(

I have fallen head over heels in love w/Paton's Kroy yarn for socks, but I've made Crocheted in the Round Gloves and Mittens w/it too. That's Paton's version of that yarn that turns into stripes as you work. You wouldn't think it would be warm due to the light weight of the yarn, but I wore a pair of tube socks I made last year w/it (my very first knitted in the round project) to CSOI in Toronto this year, had first row off the ice and even then, my feet will tend to end up being blocks of ice at the end of the show.

Not this year!! :D

The gloves I make w/it are so interesting looking due to the different stripes you end up getting from having to do the ribbing, then the hand/palm and then the fingers and thumb. I made seven pairs of them for our Church's Christmas Bazaar fund raiser last year and they were all gone w/in five minutes of us opening the doors.

I've been making Preemie and Full Term items for my local NICU since 1996, and I get an awful lot of fullfillment doing it too, but a Cousin of mine has been after me the last few years to start making Adult things for the ER in Sudbury or even for our local Rural Fire Dept to have on hand in the Chief's official vehicle. I'm giving it some serious thought. As I can only make so many socks, gloves and mitts for Christmas gifts, you know?

Anyway...If any one here who also crochets is interested in the pattern, I'll be more than happy to share the link. I found it through the Bev's Country Cottage (www.bevscountrycottage.com) web site. That one's a must have book marked site if you do any kind of knitting or crocheting. Bev's got just about every freebie pattern link listed by category over there. As well as a few other things.

Anyway...I'm on my sister's computer *and* I've got an early Dr's Appt tomorrow, so I need to boot scoot. Just wanted to say Thank You to one and all again for all of the suggestions, advice and good wishes. :)

MOIJTO
07-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Aragorn check out Knitpicks and the Yarn Market. Really nice yarn and very good prices. I especially love Knitpicks. :)

myhoneyhoney
07-13-2010, 12:50 AM
Ravelry and Knitpicks = more addicting than crack!:lol: