PDA

View Full Version : Weir to sit out 2010-11 season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

sunny_sari
07-10-2010, 08:34 PM
It's stupid to read the comments at Perezhilton as any kind of measure for how he'd be or is being received by media as a whole. The commenters perez usually gets are those who hate him and make a point of bashing to bits anything he's a fan of or posts positively about. They practically destory lady gaga every time perez posts about her.

Also the commenters are largely gay bashers and hugely homophobic. It's not surprising they'd post hateful stuff regarding Johnny. I've found the majority of feedback about Johnny through the internet and twitter tends to be largely positive. A ton of newly converted fans.

REO
07-10-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm not sure this, or any of the other references cited, are exactly complimentary towards Johnny and his tastes in clothing. If a Weir reference evolves into a codeword for "excessively over the top" or "WTF is that thing"...is that going to help Johnny's post-skating career?

You missed the point of the post. It was just to show that he gets mentioned alot outside of skating. He's a "name". That's the point all the quotes were to support. :rolleyes:

overedge
07-10-2010, 08:45 PM
You missed the point of the post. It was just to show that he gets mentioned alot outside of skating. He's a "name". That's the point all the quotes were to support. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what significance there is in his being mentioned a lot outside of skating, especially when some of the mentions seem somewhat negative.

REO
07-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the pic of the dress Carolla5501! I agree, that dress is not so bad.

Iceman, Perez's readers are not a good barometer of anything. The comments there are always scathing about everything. Those people don't even know what they're talking about. One said he had never heard of Johnny until his "big beef" with Evan at the Olympics. That didn't even happen! It was Plush that criticized Evan. They're all fools trying to get a rise out of people. Perez himself is a fan though!

sunny_sari
07-10-2010, 08:57 PM
I think there is huge significance in being mentioned outside of skating. Regardless of whether or not it's positive or negative (it's clearly not completely one or the other) it means he's officially a cross over star and that opens up so many opportunities for figure skating should he remain to be involved with it. It means he's got people talking, taking notice, and if he continues to build his rep as a show skater and in the performance industry he could bring in a flood of new fans to the sport. He's already brought many in so far. He's been totally mobbed in Japan. I can't remember the last time that's happened internationally for an american male skater. He's a bonafide rockstar to them. Johnny could really use this attention and fan support to do great things as a performer. I'm not saying he necessarily will, but there is so much potential there. I hope he makes good choices.

overedge
07-10-2010, 09:06 PM
I think there is huge significance in being mentioned outside of skating. Regardless of whether or not it's positive or negative (it's clearly not completely one or the other) it means he's officially a cross over star

I think that a star is someone that gets a generally positive response outside of a devoted fan base. Unless someone is trying for this sort of career:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hung

REO
07-10-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm not sure what significance there is in his being mentioned a lot outside of skating, especially when some of the mentions seem somewhat negative.

Okay. This thread is about Johnny retiring or taking a year off from skating. People were talking about what they perceive as his success or failure as a skater. It was mentioned that, winner or not, he is the most recognizable name outside of skating. Somebody asked for evidence of that. I believe it was you! So Brandi Delain and I quoted some articles that mention Johnny just as a well known name. The significance is that he has surpassed the little world of figure skating and moved into a larger arena of celebrity. Any other irons he has in the fire will be helped by his renown. Especially since most of those irons have to do with the entertainment or pop culture industry. Have you ever seen a negative article about Tom Cruise or Lady Gaga or almost any other celebrity? Anyone in the public eye gets criticized sometimes. Apparently even the Queen of England. Fame opens doors. Opened doors can equal mucho dinero. I hope this helped you to understand the significance of being mentioned in the press beyond the finite world of skating. :wall:

sunny_sari
07-10-2010, 09:11 PM
I think that a star is someone that gets a generally positive response outside of a devoted fan base. Unless someone is trying for this sort of career:

:rolleyes: Yeah Johnny Weir and William Hung. So much in common. He gets a great reaction outside of his fan base. Everytime I search his name on twitter it's always "just watching a new show from this skater on sundance... he's my new favourite person." The comments like that are always the same and are reflected in how quickly his facebook fan page and twitter is growing daily.

REO
07-10-2010, 09:12 PM

You're joking right?!

Snowgirl
07-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Well if this is the dress in question it's MUCH too tame for Mr. Weir! Dress does not seem over the top etc....

http://www.nationalpost.com/life/wear+again+Your+Majesty/3256955/story.html

Thank you. It is tame, but hey, it's not a skating costume :) Differently decorated arms remind me of his SP costume of 07/08 somehow.

igniculus
07-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Iceman, Perez's readers are not a good barometer of anything.

Are they not? That guy gets... a what? 2-3 million hits on the page everyday? Those in the good old Britney-freakout days were even 4 millions. If Perez puts your name out there in an entry, people will know about it. Now, we can argue about the possibility that only the idiots comment there and all the lovely people just read on or not, but I don't think that would be a fair thing to say.

It's sad to see such venom towards Johnny from them, but by dismissing them as not valid opinions instead of giving it a thought WHY some people are turned off by him is kinda weird... imho.

Snowgirl
07-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Are they not? That guy gets... a what? 2-3 million
It's sad to see such venom towards Johnny from them, but by dismissing them as not valid opinions instead of giving it a thought WHY some people are turned off by him is kinda weird... imho.

He can't please everyone. No one can.

REO
07-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Hey their opinions are their opinions. You know the old saying everyone has one. The venomous over the top language is what makes me dismiss them. What possible reason is there for some of the things that are said on that site? I don't believe Johnny has harmed anyone or been cruel to their families. Those are not valid criticisms that's just hate pure and simple. If you want to uphold them as merely valid opinions I don't know what else to say to you.

Snowgirl
07-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Checked the page. I've read a lot more hateful posts about Johnny during unfamous fur affair. Those didn't make him less popular, worse person or worse athlete.

overedge
07-10-2010, 10:37 PM
:rolleyes: Yeah Johnny Weir and William Hung. So much in common. He gets a great reaction outside of his fan base. Everytime I search his name on twitter it's always "just watching a new show from this skater on sundance... he's my new favourite person." The comments like that are always the same and are reflected in how quickly his facebook fan page and twitter is growing daily.

"He gets a great reaction outside of his fan base"? Like those comments on the Perez Hilton site?

I think the examples you are mentioning are from people who are part of his fan base, not outside it.