PDA

View Full Version : Weir to sit out 2010-11 season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

REO
07-10-2010, 04:28 AM
I'm sure Evan is satisfied with his accomplishments. As well he should be. Of course only time will tell who has lasting fame, but Johnny is mentioned in the media in different ways. Evan's people put out little press releases to try and keep him in the public consciousness. Johnny is becoming kinda iconic. He is mentioned without the 'he's a figure skater' rider, like people are supposed to just recognize his name, and if someone wears something wild they will say, 'Is Whoever channeling Johnny Weir'? That indicates to me that he has a much broader appeal. As far as Evan not caring about Johnny's popularity, he seemed to start caring about fasion and designer labels after Johnny got alot of press about his style. I am also reminded of the Evan Lysacek rap that oogled out after the rap about Johnny at the end of PopStar On Ice was heard. That sucker was BAD. lol

overedge
07-10-2010, 05:44 AM
If someone wears something wild they will say, 'Is Whoever channeling Johnny Weir'?

Who are "they" who say this?

Really
07-10-2010, 05:46 AM
Who are "they" who say this?You know...*them*

:glamor:

Japanfan
07-10-2010, 06:55 AM
Johnny had the potential to be a great skater but, for whatever reasons, imo he never quite got there. I can't see him re-igniting the passion or going through the grind again to continue competing.

ITA. And I don't see him coming back 'reinvented'. He'll likely stretch his 15 minutes out very well into years as a socialite and fashionista. There's a place for - the words that come to mind are unfortunately - such flakes .

I loved Johnny's skating. As someone mentioned earlier, his landings were a thing of beauty.

As a socialite/fashionista/metrosexual, Johnny. I think his new image actually reeks of ordinariness - it is not unique or interesting IMO and has little depth.

But obviously whether or not I'm a fan does not make any difference. He's carved out a place for himself in a world which welcomes him, and that's more than many 25 year old can say.

Brandi_DeLain
07-10-2010, 12:26 PM
if someone wears something wild they will say, 'Is Whoever channeling Johnny Weir'?

Who are "they" who say this?

It's really easy to set up a Google Alert for Johnny articles/mentions. :) There's a flood of articles right now about him taking a year off from competition, but here are a few recent, random mentions.

Gawker (http://gawker.com/5582510/johnny-weirs-skating-costumes-keep-getting-stranger) July 8th. A pic of Dita Von Teese in an interesting outfit.

The caption reads "Johnny Weir's Skating Costumes Keep Getting Stranger".

Salon (http://www.salon.com/life/broadsheet/2010/07/08/schock/) July 8th. An article about a "controversial" outfit that a Congressman wore to a White House picnic.

Relevant quote: the outfit "makes him look like Johnny Weir goes to Washington."

The author of the Salon article provided a link to a pic of the outfit (http://www.queerty.com/rep-aaron-shock-burned-his-gay-belt-what-about-his-homosexual-shirt-20100614/). Apparently, people thought this outfit choice was hilarious because this Congressman is, according to the author, "rigidly homophobic".

Teen Vogue (http://www.teenvogue.com/connect/blogs/soundoff/2010/07/gbf-gay-best-friend.html) July 6th. In an article about gay best friends.

Relevant quote: "A few years ago, all the popular, pretty girls were walking hand in hand with a preppy jock," she says. "Now you'll see them in hallways with a Mulberry bag on one arm and a Johnny Weir look-alike on the other."

silverling
07-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Medal or no medal, talent-wise, karisma on ice wise, command on ice wise, fluidity wise, elegant wise, artistry wise, entertaining wise, memorable wise, captivation wise, touching wise, mesmerizing wise, showmanship wise, Evan's skating is no comparison to Johnny's skating.
That's why Johnny has so many fans. He has had worldwide so many fans before 2010 oly, before his reality show.
I don't know when this kind of talented skater will come along again. truely unique and creative. spiritual skating.
Evan's skating lacks all of these. so stiff and funny awkward movement of limbs. The only thing that really impressive in his skating is awkward, so unfluid, so off music movement of his limbs, his entire body(oh..look at that movements of his hands, arms. How he move his arms during entire skating.:yikes:) It's like he is forcing to move for score. unbeautiful positions. (& lousy triple axel) I don't care whether he has oly gold medal or world champ medal. If he can't prove it with his skating, it's only artificial medals, superficial medals. The thing that figure skating is not politic free sports and he didn't won by huge score but by mere 1,2 point...makes it worse.

For money yeah medals are important but if you are true skater, why don't you persue to improve "figure skating"? advance the figure skating sports, make audience touched by pure beauty of skating? create something? I don't remember if Lysacek ever gave interview caring about figure skating aside from his winning, his medal. Ever giving that kind of interveiw? (I anticipate he giving that interview from now on cause he is that calulating guy, also PR wise, giant company) His interview always has been about winning, medal, score, his being champion. Always has been such a result driven guy- good for you.
Lysacek's superficiality makes me uh...... Tells how much he is a superficial person. No wonder why he only follows good appearance person mostly on twitter.
(He himself also superficial, His look is good, his outside is good but when he talk. You can see he is immature. He talks like 15 or 19 or 20. Not eloquent at all. Every time he talks he cuts his score build up by his outside look. but Johnny is opposite. His outside is rather poor but if you know him, everytime he talk he build up his score. He is eloquent and funny. entertaining. That's why once Johnny Weir haters , people who turned off by his outside gayness become to like him when he meet Johhny in person. Lysacek is boring. talks and skating as well. )

If I were a skater I would better give world Oly audience beautiful skating, touch their heart, draw standing ovation, really present them something and then will take the medal. That is true medal.

Johnny gave world people beauty, art, feeling. what Lysacek gave to us? (non americans) Who is better gift to world? Who is true winner? true skater?

I would better love not superficial thing but substance.

You can fool the world but you can't fool yourself, you can't fool the truth. That is the true happiness.
Johnny said if he medal or not when he go to bed if he can sleep well, if he truely satisfies with skating. that's the most important thing. He said a lot's of times.
Abbot, Jubert etc lot's of skaters also said skating is important than medal.
World is superficial place. but true happiness come from substance. not from superficial thing.
Fame comes from substance, quality, not from suface, superficial thing. Johnny will be famous for his textbook gorgeous triple axel. His artistry. Beautiful skating. creativity, fluidity, elegance. Lysacek will be notorius for his lousy triple axel. Lousy jumps. His boring skating. crazy flailing. unmusicality. zero creativity.
Who will have good night sleep?
Who gave world more presents? more joy? more beauty? more art? more gorgeous jumps? more memorable skatings? true figure skating?

That's why he is more loved. medal? What lasts in the end is substance. When that medal is won over mere 1 point, it is more so. That medal will be notorious for winning mere 1 point. with exact same PCS. haha. oh..figure skating. Not to mention judges gaving the three exct same score at short( 90.85, 90.30, 90.25). Can politic be more ovbiouse than that?
Can a game, sports, scores be more comedy than this? (Not to mention lips, fluts deduction etc etc)
What a sports it is! and How can you love the beneficiary of polictics? without criticizing?
I feel like going to throw up seeing this, seeing this scores. so dirty.
Where is beauty? Beauty lies in Johnny waving hands, calming audience just after that score. Look at his eyes(you can see tear passing by), Galina's eyes, audience reations, commentators reaction(lot's of them said they were shocked at the score, go and see the videos) seeing that score, despite all of that, he stood up and tried to calm the audience. That is true winner.

That competition's comedy is what will left in the end. Johnny's impressive skating is what will left in the end.

igniculus
07-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Everybody! Drink! :nopryde:

Brandi_DeLain
07-10-2010, 01:29 PM
I really wish this thread wouldn't turn into yet another Johnny VS Evan flame war. Criticizing Evan doesn't make Johnny look better and vice versa. They are both popular skaters with large fanbases. When they retire, they will both be missed.

I'm a Johnny uber, but that doesn't mean I have to hate Evan. I admire his work ethic and his competition nerves. The skating world would be a boring place if there were only Evan-type skaters or only Johnny-type skaters.

And I know this is probably just wishful thinking, but I hope one of these days Johnny and Evan can be friends again because like Jenny Kirk said (paraphrasing) they are way more alike than they are different. :cool:

igniculus
07-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Johnny got some love in Japan:
http://twitpic.com/242pve

skatesindreams
07-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Brandi DeLain, ITA!
I can find much to respect and admire in both Johnny and Evan; and I do!

REO
07-10-2010, 07:42 PM
I had to quote another paper that mentioned Johnny because of who it involves. The National Post said that one of Queen Elizabeth's dresses she wore in Canada looked like one of Johnny's tamer skating costumes because she had sparkly maple leaves on it. lol

Snowgirl
07-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Wow. I want a photo.

overedge
07-10-2010, 08:24 PM
I had to quote another paper that mentioned Johnny because of who it involves. The National Post said that one of Queen Elizabeth's dresses she wore in Canada looked like one of Johnny's tamer skating costumes because she had sparkly maple leaves on it. lol

I'm not sure this, or any of the other references cited, are exactly complimentary towards Johnny and his tastes in clothing. If a Weir reference evolves into a codeword for "excessively over the top" or "WTF is that thing"...is that going to help Johnny's post-skating career?

Iceman
07-10-2010, 08:26 PM
It is hard to find a poitive comment at perezhilton. Lots of the comments are really negative, even cruel. I would have thought otherwise.

http://perezhilton.com/2010-07-08-johnny-weir-retiring

Here is a sampling:

so basically when all of his "projects" fail, he'll return to figure skating where he's an established failure. it's funny how the real nobodies, i.e. weir, create these larger than life personas of themselves to prove something to a world that couldn't care less if u lived or died! sad but true…keep looking the fool that u are and u can be a local celebrity in ur hometown of "nobody cares but you".

so true. he was a nobody in figure skating and made a name for himself by being outlandish. he will be forgotten like all the other skaters in history who didn't win a world or olympic title. he was never close to being a champion.
and his style is horrible. gay white trash all the way.

He gave it his all and couldn't even make it into the top 5. Can you call it retiring when you aren't good enough anymore?

I hadn't even heard of this second rate skater until his big beef at the Olympics with Evan Lysacek and now he is pimping himself as some super entrepreneur like Diddy?
I'll stop laughing in a few minutes…no really. Few more.

I stopped reading after the first paragraph, lol. I got so excited hearing he was going away, but then felt discouraged when he said all he would be doing in place of it. I was hoping to never see this loser again. :( Hopefully once he's out though, he'll never go back. In that year some other dude will become more gay…oops, I mean famous, and take his place. I can hope, right? If his "song" hits the airwaves, I'll have to voluntarily go deaf.

Carolla5501
07-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Wow. I want a photo.

Well if this is the dress in question it's MUCH too tame for Mr. Weir! Dress does not seem over the top etc....

http://www.nationalpost.com/life/wear+again+Your+Majesty/3256955/story.html