PDA

View Full Version : Weir to sit out 2010-11 season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Iceman
07-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Where will Johnny be sitting this season out? NJ ? Johnny had the potential to be a great skater but, for whatever reasons, imo he never quite got there. I can't see him re-igniting the passion or going through the grind again to continue competing. He filled his head with negative garbage, looking outside himself to explain not achieving what he thought he should. Even if what he thought had some truth in it, that only holds one back from getting to the top and staying there. If he had really stepped up to the plate, I think the judges would have given him his due.

Carolla5501
07-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Sasha's comeback was a total flop though, lets be honest. I mean she said a bunch of stuff how it was all personal, she didnt regret it, who knows maybe she is telling the truth, but I have a hard time believing that was what she had in mind. .

When I saw the look on her face after the Ladies Long at Nationals... she knew it wasn't enough, she knew that the crowd was not on it's feet for (yes a lot of people did stand, but IMHO they stood to honor the career, not that skate), she just knew....

And she didn't look like "this is a great moment" I have seen her look elated at her skating etc... This was much more bittersweet.

What I have felt with Johnny is that while he "claims" to be happy with his skating etc this season he was bitterly disappointed. (The whining about "they wouldn't let two Americans on the podium") I don't think he would any happier (and maybe less so) with a result like Sasha's comeback.

OliviaPug
07-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Not surprised. Johnny is busy doing other things and he probably just feels like he needs a break from the competitive skating grind. He's young. I don't blame him. I only hope, if he chooses to come back for the following season, that he finds the comeback satisfying.

O-

taf2002
07-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Sadly I think his 15 minutes are over though - the post Olympic momentum is gone, and unless he's made some *really* good friends along the way or makes a serious splash with his song or book, then I believe the invitations and freebies will start to dwindle, if they aren't already. I do hope he has a back up plan.

I have seen this 15 minutes comment a number of times & it's just not true. Johnny may or may not have fulfilled his potential...that's a matter of opinion. But he has had a fairly long career with lots of successes. He was not a flash in the pan.

Carolla5501
07-09-2010, 08:54 PM
I have seen this 15 minutes comment a number of times & it's just not true. Johnny may or may not have fulfilled his potential...that's a matter of opinion. But he has had a fairly long career with lots of successes. He was not a flash in the pan.

I think it's more in reference to the "Rest" of the act....

(See the photo on the Hersh article)

I could be wrong, but I think most skating fans would consider him to have been around for a while and not a "one time 15 minute wonder" To me that's the skater who shows up at Nationals once and does GREAT and then becomes a "whatever happened to" post.

HisWeirness
07-09-2010, 10:08 PM
More from Johnny about his announcement:
http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2010/07/figure-skater-johnny-weir-just-called-us-from-japan-to-discuss-why-he-wants-to-reinvent-himself-like-madonna-did.html

Carolla5501
07-09-2010, 10:25 PM
"To be honest, I just want to go somewhere where I can wear a white Speedo. "

Oh Dear... those are photos I don't need to see!

REO
07-09-2010, 10:46 PM
He shouldn't wear a white one until he has a good tan. After that bring on the twitpic. lol
Thanks for that article HisWeirness.

Margaret
07-10-2010, 12:29 AM
Assuming that he would come back next season, what is the procedure? Would there be any bureaucratic obstacles? Would he get GP assignments?

orbitz
07-10-2010, 12:33 AM
"To be honest, I just want to go somewhere where I can wear a white Speedo. "

Oh Dear... those are photos I don't need to see!

There's Miami Beach, Fire Island, etc....numerous beaches where he can wear a thong mesh speedo if his heart desires :lol:

kwanfan1818
07-10-2010, 01:11 AM
My guess is that if he's planning to enter a 24x7 world of intensity, he'll eventually choose FIT over skating.

overedge
07-10-2010, 03:11 AM
From the Vanity Fair article:

I think I’ve gotten more attention after the Olympics than any other U.S. athlete
Oh dear, cue round 2 of the Johnny/Evan wars....

sunny_sari
07-10-2010, 03:30 AM
From the Vanity Fair article:

Oh dear, cue round 2 of the Johnny/Evan wars....

No doubt the Johnny haters won't like this and try to argue it but I think that's pretty much indisputable at this point. Evan is extremely successful and very popular. His stint on dancing with the stars did great things to further raise his profile. However it's starting to die down now and the media remains obsessed with Johnny Weir. He's got thousands more twitter followers than Evan, more facebook fans, etc. News of his break.... it wasn't even a retirement announcement, hit every major news source in a matter of hours. Of all the popular athletes who shined at the Vancouver Olympics Johnny Weir's name is the only one who pops up in twitter feeds and google news alerts on a daily basis.

missing
07-10-2010, 03:59 AM
No doubt the Johnny haters won't like this and try to argue it but I think that's pretty much indisputable at this point. Evan is extremely successful and very popular. His stint on dancing with the stars did great things to further raise his profile. However it's starting to die down now and the media remains obsessed with Johnny Weir. He's got thousands more twitter followers than Evan, more facebook fans, etc. News of his break.... it wasn't even a retirement announcement, hit every major news source in a matter of hours. Of all the popular athletes who shined at the Vancouver Olympics Johnny Weir's name is the only one who pops up in twitter feeds and google news alerts on a daily basis.

I don't know him, but my guess is Evan is more than satisfied to have fewer twitter followers and a world championship and Olympic gold medal.

sunny_sari
07-10-2010, 04:04 AM
I don't know him, but my guess is Evan is more than satisfied to have fewer twitter followers and a world championship and Olympic gold medal.

No doubt. He's accomplished everything he set out to do. It certainly means more than winning the popularity medal.