PDA

View Full Version : Weir to sit out 2010-11 season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Gil-Galad
07-09-2010, 12:05 PM
That means he was just not such a fierce competitor, not a mediocre skater or athlete. You cannot call someone not as great when he is consistently among the top for so many years. First it is not like Evan has a tone of medals, yeah I know his medals, but he actually had one great season which included the Olys. Bravo to him. Being promoted like alpha and omega of USA Fs, doesnt make him a better skater than Weir. Btw, Kulik has less medals than Lysacek, but is there a comparisson? But then if you concider the medals in major competitions define the athlete (I dont) , well ...you should drop Evan and start rooting for another athlete;), the You-Know-WHo. The one who shall not be named. Cause maths are cruel there.

I excluded Stephane and Dai for obvious reasons, but it is not like they dont have meltdowns or weak points as well. Takahashi before injury was not such dynamic as well.

Hello? Will we ever meet in agreement?:rofl: Weir is more graceful and has more personality when he skates in his little finger than Lysacec in his all body, more diversity than Joubert, certailny a better haircut than Plushenko, and smoother edges and more elegant posture than all of them together.
Hey! Brian has actually really decent edges, I am not sure they are worse then Johnny's. :cool: He is simply not using them that much... Not that Johnny made much use of them during the last seasons.

And Kulik is a great example for someone who didn't win that much, but can still be called a great athlete, he was great, as in really great. Skating skills, speed, musicality - and with a Quad plus a fully rotated Triple Axel, that he could do smoothly from a spread eagle, to boot.

Wyliefan
07-09-2010, 12:22 PM
I think he wanted to be very careful and prepared with how he said this...so the ubers (he's got TONS) don't try to jump off a bridge, which by the looks of the overwrought posts on some Johnny-centered forums, some of them sound like want to.

I sincerely hope you're exaggerating.

sk8er1964
07-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Being a top ten is only impressive if compared to those who are not top ten skaters, LOL.

Yes, winning a bronze medal is not easy, but winning any Olympic medal or WC gold or silver are definetely more difficult. Weir has managed to win just one World bronze medal in his career, which is not impressive even if compared only to a few past and current US skaters (if compared to top skaters of other nations, Weirīs one World bronze medal is even less impressive):

- Scott Hamilton won OG plus 4 WC gold medals
- Boitano won OG and two WC gold
- Eldredge won a WC gold, 2 WC silver medals and 2 bronze medals
- Weiss won two World bronze medals
- Lysacek won OG and WC gold medal, two WC bronze medals and GPF
- Abbott has won GPF gold medal and is currently 2-time US champion

Bold is mine.

Just trying to understand your logic. How do you rank Abbott's results as more impressive than Weirs? Weir has more national championships and a much better record at both junior and senior international competitions than Abbott, who tends to be a serious head case when skating at the big internationals.

Sylvia
07-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Well I'm not Jaana, but my impression is that she believes the GP Final is a "major international competition" -- see her previous post in this thread:

Well, there are medals and medals... Weir has never won a gold or silver medal in any major international competitions, ...

Back to Johnny...

Entertainment Weekly's PopWatch: Johnny Weir announces break from ice skating. So not fabulous. (http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/07/08/johnny-weir-announces-break-from-ice-skating-so-not-fabulous/)

sk8er1964
07-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Entertainment Weekly's PopWatch: Johnny Weir announces break from ice skating. So not fabulous. (http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/07/08/johnny-weir-announces-break-from-ice-skating-so-not-fabulous/)

Nice picture.

discoduck
07-09-2010, 03:06 PM
I'm not surprised to hear this but I'm going to miss seeing Johnny compete this season. Best of luck to him and I really hope he comes back next year but somehow I doubt it.

Jenny
07-09-2010, 03:18 PM
I don't think Johnny will come back. I think he is happy doing his t.v. show and rubbing elbows with Hollywood celebrities.

Sadly I think his 15 minutes are over though - the post Olympic momentum is gone, and unless he's made some *really* good friends along the way or makes a serious splash with his song or book, then I believe the invitations and freebies will start to dwindle, if they aren't already. I do hope he has a back up plan.

senorita
07-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Hey! Brian has actually really decent edges, I am not sure they are worse then Johnny's. :cool: He is simply not using them that much... Not that Johnny made much use of them during the last seasons.

Hey, I didnt say Jouby has better or worse edges, than that Johnny skates more smoothly than the rest! It was by no means a negative post, well except the personality stuff ;) Just to enhance that Johnny was not a mediocre skater.

igniculus
07-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Nice picture.

ITA! :saint:

museksk8r
07-09-2010, 04:36 PM
You are aware that "great" and "interesting" are both subjective assessments, right? And that no matter how many times you state these opinions as facts, they are still opinions? And that the Olympic judges apparently don't agree with you?

:wall: I wasn't aware I had expressed my opinion as a fact, BUTT since you know my thought processes better than I do, it must be true. :rolleyes::shuffle: I don't need the Olympic judges to agree with me to make my opinion be valid. Many others share my opinion that Lysacek isn't great or interesting. I've lost count of how many others have also said that he is boring and bland.

BittyBug
07-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Psssst. This thread is about Johnny Weir. ;)

Jaana
07-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Well I'm not Jaana, but my impression is that she believes the GP Final is a "major international competition" --

I donīt see GPF as a major international competition, but it is more important than just a GP competition. I added Abbott to the list, because he is currently a two time US champion and a 2008 GPF champion. His achievements are more recent than Weirīs 2008 WC bronze medal.

REO
07-09-2010, 07:24 PM
You can twist anything to include just what you want to prove your point. The fact is Weir is a great and popular skater no matter how many medals of what color and what competition he has. He has often stated that his popularity exceeds his accomplishments. So all the grasping for negativity aside he will be missed this year and his contributions to skating have been significant.

Winnipeg
07-09-2010, 07:30 PM
I think Johnny has more lucrative options than competing in 2010/11 - good for him!

sk8er1964
07-09-2010, 07:42 PM
I donīt see GPF as a major international competition, but it is more important than just a GP competition. I added Abbott to the list, because he is currently a two time US champion and a 2008 GPF champion. His achievements are more recent than Weirīs 2008 WC bronze medal.

That still doesn't make sense. If you look at major internationals where they competed head-to-head, and also include the most recent GPFs where they also went head to head, Weir beats Abbot in almost every single segment by pretty wide margins placement-wise. The only place Abbott has been able to beat Weir internationally is at that one GPF where he skated pretty much as near of a perfect long program as someone can get under CoP - and he hasn't been able to repeat that under the pressure of international competition since.

2010 Olympics:

Short: Weir 6th, Abbott 15th. Long: Weir 6th, Abbott 9th

2008 Worlds:

Short: Weir 2nd, Abbott 14th. Long: Weir 5th, Abbott 10th.

2009 Grand Prix Final:

Short: Weir 2nd, Abbott 5th. Long: Abbott 2nd, Weir 4th.

2008 Grand Prix Final:

Short: Abbott 2nd, Weir 4th. Long: Abbott 1st, Weir 2nd

I'm no Weir uber (although I do like his skating), but saying that Abbott is stronger internationally than Weir just makes no sense to me. To each his own, I guess.