PDA

View Full Version : Weir to sit out 2010-11 season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Ziggy
07-09-2010, 12:53 AM
Working very hard and being consistent doesn't make someone a great or interesting skater. It just means you're dedicated to and determined at your craft and that you're a strong competitor.

That is the point.

Everything about Lysacek's skating defines BLAND and his "triple" axels should have been getting consistently downgraded or at least marked down on GOE.

I am still very sad that both Takahashi and Lambiel weren't able to skate to their full potential in Vancouver. :( Those two were definitely much more deserving than either Lysacek or Plushenko.

caseyedwards
07-09-2010, 12:55 AM
There is little doubt Plushenko came back thinking that quadless world champions meant that he could win again no problem if he could still do them. Oops! Now it terms of comebacks he was better than Boitano and Petrenko. Everyone probably believed he was better than them to begin with!!!

DickButtonFan
07-09-2010, 01:23 AM
I'll miss seeing his 3axel hope he will consistantly practice so we see him win in 2011-2012 I think he can get his us title back.

IceAlisa
07-09-2010, 01:27 AM
That is the point.

Everything about Lysacek's skating defines BLAND and his "triple" axels should have been getting consistently downgraded or at least marked down on GOE.

I am still very sad that both Takahashi and Lambiel weren't able to skate to their full potential in Vancouver. :( Those two were definitely much more deserving than either Lysacek or Plushenko.

ITA for once.

DickButtonFan
07-09-2010, 03:15 AM
Also can't wait to see.his clothing line "be unique" hope it's not too gaga tho. Since he says his dream is Sochi I think he will really come back since his love of russia.

jlai
07-09-2010, 03:51 AM
I've just read Weir's statement. I hope ubers won't kill me for this, but Johnny, you can say the same thing with half the words, you know. Getting rid of a few "I believe"/"I think" helps too... :slinkaway:

Theatregirl1122
07-09-2010, 03:59 AM
Working very hard and being consistent doesn't make someone a great or interesting skater. It just means you're dedicated to and determined at your craft and that you're a strong competitor.

You are aware that "great" and "interesting" are both subjective assessments, right? And that no matter how many times you state these opinions as facts, they are still opinions? And that the Olympic judges apparently don't agree with you?

sunny_sari
07-09-2010, 04:36 AM
I've just read Weir's statement. I hope ubers won't kill me for this, but Johnny, you can say the same thing with half the words, you know. Getting rid of a few "I believe"/"I think" helps too... :slinkaway:

I think he wanted to be very careful and prepared with how he said this...so the ubers (he's got TONS) don't try to jump off a bridge, which by the looks of the overwrought posts on some Johnny-centered forums, some of them sound like want to. The amount of mainstream press coverage this garnered today is incredible. No other figure skater (probably not even Evan) will garner this type of attention right now.

bb boy's gotta use it while he can. I just hope he's smart about it and makes strong decisions with sound advice.

overedge
07-09-2010, 04:40 AM
:rofl: that when I went to the USFS page with the story about Johnny's announcement, one of the banner ads on the side of the page was a picture of grinning Evan with the OGM, captioned "Vote Evan for an ESPY!!"

skatemomaz
07-09-2010, 08:00 AM
You are aware that "great" and "interesting" are both subjective assessments, right? And that no matter how many times you state these opinions as facts, they are still opinions? And that the Olympic judges apparently don't agree with you?
:respec:
Give it up Theatregirl, don't you know Johnny wuzrobbed? :P

I think he wanted to be very careful and prepared with how he said this...so the ubers (he's got TONS) don't try to jump off a bridge, which by the looks of the overwrought posts on some Johnny-centered forums, some of them sound like want to. The amount of mainstream press coverage this garnered today is incredible. No other figure skater (probably not even Evan) will garner this type of attention right now.

bb boy's gotta use it while he can. I just hope he's smart about it and makes strong decisions with sound advice.

:rolleyes: Must have been a slow newsday.

Jaana
07-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Like winning any World medal is easy? :lol: He was top ten in every Worlds appearance he made, not too shabby IMO.

Being a top ten is only impressive if compared to those who are not top ten skaters, LOL.

Yes, winning a bronze medal is not easy, but winning any Olympic medal or WC gold or silver are definetely more difficult. Weir has managed to win just one World bronze medal in his career, which is not impressive even if compared only to a few past and current US skaters (if compared to top skaters of other nations, Weir´s one World bronze medal is even less impressive):

- Scott Hamilton won OG plus 4 WC gold medals
- Boitano won OG and two WC gold
- Eldredge won a WC gold, 2 WC silver medals and 2 bronze medals
- Weiss won two World bronze medals
- Lysacek won OG and WC gold medal, two WC bronze medals and GPF
- Abbott has won GPF gold medal and is currently 2-time US champion

I was Weir´s fan since seeing his skating in early 2000 (in GoodWill games) and still was a fan after the 2006 Olympics. After that I started gradually to get the impression he was having some other priorities than the skating. But I have still counted him among my favourite skaters, but have never been a blinded fan.

The Observer
07-09-2010, 09:47 AM
The only way I see Johnny coming back to competition is if his other projects don't pan out, including finding enough work as a skater. I'd say it's 50-50 at this point.

I don't think Johnny will come back. I think he is happy doing his t.v. show and rubbing elbows with Hollywood celebrities.

missflick
07-09-2010, 09:51 AM
I don't think Johnny will come back. I think he is happy doing his t.v. show and rubbing elbows with Hollywood celebrities.

ITA

DickButtonFan
07-09-2010, 11:04 AM

And considering all the hatefull comments he receives on celeb blogs I'm not so sure Hollywood is a good idea but I hope he does well at whatever he chooses.

senorita
07-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Well, there are medals and medals... Weir has never won a gold or silver medal in any major international competitions, a World bronze is his only achievement.

That means he was just not such a fierce competitor, not a mediocre skater or athlete. You cannot call someone not as great when he is consistently among the top for so many years. First it is not like Evan has a tone of medals, yeah I know his medals, but he actually had one great season which included the Olys. Bravo to him. Being promoted like alpha and omega of USA Fs, doesnt make him a better skater than Weir. Btw, Kulik has less medals than Lysacek, but is there a comparisson? But then if you concider the medals in major competitions define the athlete (I dont) , well ...you should drop Evan and start rooting for another athlete;), the You-Know-WHo. The one who shall not be named. Cause maths are cruel there.

Yes, I think, lol
My thought is that athletisism is not his best strenght ! Compared to Evan, Evgeny, Brian. They are all more dynamic and powerful.
That's what I meant.
So, I'm afraid it won't be better after a year off ;)

I excluded Stephane and Dai for obvious reasons, but it is not like they dont have meltdowns or weak points as well. Takahashi before injury was not such dynamic as well.

Hello? Will we ever meet in agreement?:rofl: Weir is more graceful and has more personality when he skates in his little finger than Lysacec in his all body, more diversity than Joubert, certailny a better haircut than Plushenko, and smoother edges and more elegant posture than all of them together.