PDA

View Full Version : Weir to sit out 2010-11 season

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Stephanie
07-08-2010, 05:57 PM
I'd really love for Hochstein to get one of those spots..he's the highest ranked man (who's not returning to the JGP) without a GP spot. Maybe he'll get SC since it's close and cheap for SC?

I wonder if Amodio's competing in Japan the week before will work against him.

Wyliefan
07-08-2010, 05:59 PM

I hope not -- I'd love to see him get it.

Dilng
07-08-2010, 06:20 PM
What is the probability that he is done for good?

I would say 100%!!

briancoogaert
07-08-2010, 06:26 PM
I'm hoping something got lost in translation on this, because I can't see how any of the top guys are not great athletes, Johnny included. You don't rack up the number of medals he has without being a great athlete.
Yes, I think, lol
My thought is that athletisism is not his best strenght ! Compared to Evan, Evgeny, Daisuke, Stephane, Brian. They are all more dynamic and powerful.
That's what I meant.
So, I'm afraid it won't be better after a year off ;)

genevieve
07-08-2010, 06:29 PM
The only way I see Johnny coming back to competition is if his other projects don't pan out, including finding enough work as a skater. I'd say it's 50-50 at this point.

^ This

Not surprising, but I will miss seeing Johnny skate. Boo.

Jaana
07-08-2010, 06:33 PM
I'm hoping something got lost in translation on this, because I can't see how any of the top guys are not great athletes, Johnny included. You don't rack up the number of medals he has without being a great athlete.

Well, there are medals and medals... Weir has never won a gold or silver medal in any major international competitions, a World bronze is his only achievement.

Im not surprised at all that he will not be competing in coming season. I will though be surprised if he comes back for 2011-2012 season, but will of course welcome him back if he does. Im doubting his comeback, because he has not managed to skate to good CoP-freeskates and I dont think that a year off will make him better in that respect.

Sylvia
07-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Weir's TEB spot can't go to Amodio or any other French guy

Amodio could still get France's TBA slot for TEB.

Jenny
07-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Well, there are medals and medals... Weir has never won a gold or silver medal in any major international competitions, a World bronze is his only achievement.

oo snap

haribobo
07-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Amodio could still get France's TBA slot for TEB.

Oh yea, that is true. He just can't get Weir's spot cause either he or another Frenchman will get the TBA slot for FRA...so they have to invite a non-French guy for the Weir slot. Sometimes I don't finish my thoughts all the way. :)

Sylvia
07-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Phil Hersh: Skater Weir taking competitive break to reinvent himself (http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2010/07/skater-weir-taking-competitive-break-to-reinvent-himself.html)

Associated Press newswire article: Johnny Weir skipping skating season (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jBlmkc4dz8uoK10KQO3fM-ffEgewD9GR02QO1)

kwanfan1818
07-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Sylvia's list from the other thread:

"MEN not guaranteed a GP but next in line according to the ISU Season Best scores list (* = ISU Jr.-eligible):

25 Bradley USA - name not submitted for GP selection

34 *Messing USA - returning to JGP; did not submit his name for GP

....but Amodio could get the SC spot
Not submitted by the skater to USFS as interested, or not submitted by USFS as eligible for selection? If USFS doesn't submit the name to the ISU as eligible, then that skater/team can't be chosen later, even if he/she/they have earned it for themselves, ex: the year the Russian Fed "retired" Sokolova by not submitting her name, although she had earned two spots by her last Worlds placement.

Oh yea, that is true. He just can't get Weir's spot cause either he or another Frenchman will get the TBA slot for FRA...so they have to invite a non-French guy for the Weir slot. Sometimes I don't finish my thoughts all the way. :)
If the other Federations were allowing Gailhauguet to play his "It's under my control, I'll jerk you around until the last possible minute" game by not assigning Amodio to more than one GP in the first place and leaving the French Fed the option of naming Amodio, then I doubt Amodio would be assigned Skate Canada, even if he weren't scheduled to skate the week before at NHK.

Sylvia
07-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Not submitted by the skater to USFS as interested, or not submitted by USFS as eligible for selection?
Both, AFAIK. Neither Bradley nor Messing are eligible to be selected for a Senior GP by their own choice.

ETA: Maybe we should continue this discussion in the Grand Prix thread?http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=73907&page=19

overedge
07-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Phil Hersh: Skater Weir taking competitive break to reinvent himself (http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2010/07/skater-weir-taking-competitive-break-to-reinvent-himself.html)

Oh dear, I think I may have to go lie down for a while, because I actually agree with pretty much everything in this Hersh column....

peibeck
07-08-2010, 07:38 PM

Like winning any World medal is easy? :lol: He was top ten in every Worlds appearance he made, not too shabby IMO.

I'm not surprised he isn't going to compete, and I am a bit doubtful he'll come back (or want to come back) after a year away, but I guess time will tell.

BittyBug
07-08-2010, 07:46 PM

oo snap

You're right - Johnny is clearly a total loser, with only one lousy World bronze medal, four Grand Prix gold medals, five GP silver medals, five GP bronze medals, and two Grand Prix Final bronze medals. Anybody could have done that, really. :rolleyes: