PDA

View Full Version : Weir to sit out 2010-11 season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18

psycho
07-18-2010, 10:31 PM
The furor of the Russian jacket came about because, at that time, Johnny was receiving funding from US Figure Skating and the Memorial Fund. The majority of the donors and sponsors are American and some of those sponsors were upset that Johnny was seen to be rejecting the USA by wearing a Russian jacket at the Olympics. Comments wer made to the effect that, if Johnny wanted to represent Russia, then let the Russians pay to support him. His rejection of the USA team uniform in such a public venue was deemed insulting to the federation he was supposed to be representing.

Wow. I have a hoodie that says "France" on it. I hope when I wear it, the Canadian government doesn't take it as a sign that I want to defect to France and doesn't deport me.

Also, all those people with international flags on the cars during the World Cup, I hope they realize they are insulting Canada! Shame on them!

Finally, Soviet does not equal Russian. Soviet Union ceased to exist long before Weir even put on skates. Thus, he could not have represented it even if he wanted to.

jlai
07-18-2010, 10:45 PM
But certain acts are socially acceptable in some situations and not in others. During world cup, yeah, all sorts of flags, but my neighbor displayed a Turkish flag on July 4th his neighbors weren't happy.

I don't have an opinion on Johnny and his flag but when nationalistic sentiments run high people do get upset over the "wrong" flag, rightly or wrongly.

bandit
07-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by psycho:

Wow. I have a hoodie that says "France" on it. I hope when I wear it, the Canadian government doesn't take it as a sign that I want to defect to France and doesn't deport me.

Also, all those people with international flags on the cars during the World Cup, I hope they realize they are insulting Canada! Shame on them!

But you and these other people are not accepting funding from the Canadian government (I assume), whereas Johnny was accepting funding from U.S. sponsors, so this is not a comparable situation. Johnny was biting the hand that was feeding him. If he did not want to represent his country by wearing the U.S. uniform, then maybe he should not have accepted funding from such sources. Bottom line is that his gesture was disrespectful, whether intentional or not.

attyfan
07-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Since Shawn Johnson was a minor, they had to have her contract approved by the court. She got paid $125,000 for the practice weeks and first episode, and got paid more for each additional week (http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2009/03/27/2009-03-27_contract_reveals_dancing_with_the_stars_-1.html). The contract maxed out if you made it to the final two, with no extra bonus for actually winning.

I wonder who released that information ... those contract approval proceedings are supposed to be confidential.

psycho
07-18-2010, 11:27 PM
But you and these other people are not accepting funding from the Canadian government (I assume), whereas Johnny was accepting funding from U.S. sponsors, so this is not a comparable situation. Johnny was biting the hand that was feeding him. If he did not want to represent his country by wearing the U.S. uniform, then maybe he should not have accepted funding from such sources. Bottom line is that his gesture was disrespectful, whether intentional or not.
Team uniforms are not mandatory gear at practices. Most people don't wear any kind of uniform: they just wear black clothes. Just as an example, I remember at some event Ryan Bradley wore a shirt that said "Italia" on it. I am sure there are other examples out there.

Second, Johnny wore the US uniform to the press conference and the Opening Ceremony, and official photoshoots. He represented the US by skating for them. That's what he recieved funding for. To skate. Figure skating is a sport that does not mandate uniforms while skating, last time I checked.

The fact that people equate respecting/liking other countries with rejection of your own country is really disturbing to me.:wideeyes:

zaphyre14
07-19-2010, 12:34 AM
The Olympics, like it or not, are an nationalistic event. Sponsors compete for the contract to outfit the US Olympic team. The athletes receive all that stuff free of charge. It serves as advertising for the manufacturer. Since practices are not private events, it is reasonable for the sponsor to want team gear to be seen as much as possible. That "advertising" is what they're paying for. Practice sessions are not private events (hence the TV cameras); the skaters are representing their countries the entire time and are expected to conduct themselves appropriately.

That gear has nothing to do with training grants given prior to the Olympic Games.

Personally, I dson't think it's too much to expect the athletes representing the team gear they've been given durring the Games. But in the end it doesn't matter what I think or what you think. What matters is that the sponsors who were footing the bills were offended by Johnny's actions and made their displeasure known.

Carolla5501
07-19-2010, 01:04 AM
I wonder who released that information ... those contract approval proceedings are supposed to be confidential.

They had to be filed with the court which made them easier to get "access" to. I dont' think the family or agent spent much effort trying to keep this confidential for some reason.

However, the assumption that this is a "standard" contract appears to only exist on here. I have never seen any confirmation of that anyplace else. I assume it's up to each "star's agent" to get them the best possible terms and some are probably cheaper then others.

judiz
07-19-2010, 02:17 AM
delete

psycho
07-19-2010, 04:36 AM
Sponsors compete for the contract to outfit the US Olympic team. The athletes receive all that stuff free of charge. It serves as advertising for the manufacturer. Since practices are not private events, it is reasonable for the sponsor to want team gear to be seen as much as possible. That "advertising" is what they're paying for.
Alright.Two things...

1. Were other US skaters wearing sponsors' gear during practices during 2006 and 2010 Olympics or were they wearing regular clothes/costumes? Because I remember an awful lot of practice clothes on that ice. Were the sponsors offended by that too?

2. So it's all about money, isn't it? Then why all the fuss about Johnny rejecting America/supporting Stalinist regime/being a crappy representative of the US? All he did was not use his practice time as an opportunity to promote Ralph Lauren...

kwanfan1818
07-19-2010, 05:01 AM
I don't remember any of the Russian skaters who didn't start out with their team jackets or other Russia gear, maybe from other competitions. The practice clothes underneath were regular practice clothes, not team uniforms. I don't remember any skaters in team uniforms at practices, although I didn't see all seven.

A side topic: One of the dancers at Pacific Northwest Ballet, Jordan Pacitti, gave the curtain speech this spring for Second Stage, the dancers' career transition program, and a couple of times, he was wearing a Russian team jacket. Of course, there were neither sponsorship nor country issues, although had he worn a Wazoo sweatshirt or Yankees team jacket, there may have been hell to pay.

Prancer
07-19-2010, 05:09 AM
Since this is all squabbling about old news now and isn't new news at all, into the Skip it goes.

zaphyre14
07-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Alright.Two things...

1. Were other US skaters wearing sponsors' gear during practices during 2006 and 2010 Olympics or were they wearing regular clothes/costumes? Because I remember an awful lot of practice clothes on that ice. Were the sponsors offended by that too?

2. So it's all about money, isn't it? Then why all the fuss about Johnny rejecting America/supporting Stalinist regime/being a crappy representative of the US? All he did was not use his practice time as an opportunity to promote Ralph Lauren...

How obtuse can you be? :rolleyes:

The point is that while other skaters might not have wearing their own countries' jackets on practices, at least they weren't wearing OTHER (rival) countries' jackets there. In fact, though, IIRC, most of the athletes I saw on TV did wear their team jackets to and from the venues and took them off either before they got on the ice or a few minutes after once they'd warmed up.

Whatever his intentions, Johnny wearing a Russian jacket while competitng at the Olympic Games ( and the practices are part of the competition) ticked off a lot of the people who had paid his way to the Games. You can argue whether or not that irritation was justified but all the in the world isn't going to change that fact.

Honoring a fan is fine at home, and if Johnny had worn the jacket around NJ (as I'm sure he did), I don't think anyone would have blinked twice. But he was at the Olympic Games as a member of the United States Olympic Team and as such, was expected to represent his country and his federation with dignity and respect. Wearing the clothing of another (rival) federation on an official practice session in front of an international audience was a poor choice on his part/

Heck, can you imagine the uproar if Yu-Na Kim had shown up in Vancouver wearing a Japanese or USA team jacket?

BlueRidge
07-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Now I'm confused and have to ask, was he wearing a Russia jacket or a Soviet one? Or did he do both? :confused:

zaphyre14
07-19-2010, 01:57 PM
I stand corrected, BR - It was the old Soviet Union CCCP jacket, which technically isn't Russian. Although he does have a jacket (and possibly a costume as well) with Cyrillic words on it.

BlueRidge
07-19-2010, 02:05 PM
I think the argument against the CCCP jacket is quite different than the argument against a Russia team jacket, since the CCCP jacket was actually not the jacket of a rival team.

I didn't like that he wore it, but I'm not going to argue it 4 years on.