PDA

View Full Version : Weir to sit out 2010-11 season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

jlai
07-18-2010, 03:43 AM
Do we need to revisit 2009 nationals every time we discuss Weir? :rolleyes:

If you don't agree withthe way USFSA conducts business, then be a member, participate and try changing the rules from within. But as it is, let it be.

judiz
07-18-2010, 03:45 AM
I can't remember when he made the remark about Republican type people. Was it before or after his Olympic competition?

It was in the fluff piece shown right before Johnny's sp at the Olympics

REO
07-18-2010, 04:52 AM
Thanks Judiz.
I can't believe this thread is going the same way the last one did. Let me know when we reach 1000 without anyone on either side giving an inch. One mention of a team jacket leads to references to Hitler and Stalin! Wearing a jacket does not mean that you ascribe to political exile and concentration camps! Some people need to get a grip! "You either love him or hate him." It's interesting how he polarizes people. I'm not blind to faults he has or mistakes he may have made, but I think he's a wonderful skater and a true artist and someone who can't be told what to think, how to act or what to say in a given situation. I admire that in a person not to mention his other qualities of kindness and loyalty and acceptance of other cultures. Actually I think those are more valuable than Olympic gold which merely says that for one competition on one day you gathered the most points. A winner can be a douche and the best doesn't always win. (Kwan forever!)

igniculus
07-18-2010, 05:51 AM
But don't you think it's wrong to hold on to old hatreds? Also how can you hold today's generations responsible for the things their country did before they were born? People should remember but we need also to evolve.

I did NOT say people should hold on to old hatreds, nor did I say I hold into any kind of hatred. I don't have any. But there are people who do, and it's their pregorative to do so.

kwanfan1818
07-18-2010, 06:11 AM
Yagudin got hell for wearing a Canada jacket to a hockey game, and it wasn't even for his own event. There's plenty of trading and gifting at the Olympics, but I don't know of any other athletes who've worn part of another country's team uniform to practices in their events.

Weir may not have been critically ill at 2009 Nationals, but he was very weak because of the earlier illness, much like Buttle when he was left off the Canadian team in 2004, because he never recovered from an illness earlier in the season.

The shopping comment about an injured athlete was so out-of-line it was pathetic.

REO
07-18-2010, 03:29 PM
I did NOT say people should hold on to old hatreds, nor did I say I hold into any kind of hatred. I don't have any. But there are people who do, and it's their pregorative to do so.

I don't recall saying you did. I was responding to another person. In fact I mentioned you only in the context that, even though you had reason, you did not hold onto bad feelings. But if you want to take offense it's your perogative to do so. :rolleyes:

igniculus
07-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Right, so I'm only allowed to quote you when you respond to me? :rolleyes: The contest suggested you inplied on me hanging on to hatreds.

Carolla5501
07-18-2010, 06:12 PM
(Am I the only person brave enough to admit I am reading this thread only for the entertainment value of watching posters snip at each other. There's very little real "information" to be had)

Wyliefan
07-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Pass the popcorn, Carolla. ;) :watch:

REO
07-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Right, so I'm only allowed to quote you when you respond to me? :rolleyes: The contest suggested you inplied on me hanging on to hatreds.

Noooo. You need to go back and re read what I wrote. I said that I agreed with you that anyone's view of a certain regime often depended on what their personal experience was with that regime. Where you're getting this notion that I think you hold on to old hatreds I do not know. You said flat out that you did not. That was my only reference to you. The rest of what I said was in response to the poster who said they could not get beyond their feelings. Of course I can understand that. Who knows what she/he or their family endured. I just think that in general we can't evolve until we let those things go. You can respond to me any time but make sure you actually read and understand before you flip out.

REO
07-18-2010, 07:25 PM
(Am I the only person brave enough to admit I am reading this thread only for the entertainment value of watching posters snip at each other. There's very little real "information" to be had)

Right?! That's because all the "information" is older than the hills! It's devolved from Johnny sitting out the season to the ancient history of his CCCP jacket and whether or not we should love our neighbor! It does keep one coming back though. lol

judiz
07-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Yagudin got hell for wearing a Canada jacket to a hockey game, and it wasn't even for his own event. There's plenty of trading and gifting at the Olympics, but I don't know of any other athletes who've worn part of another country's team uniform to practices in their events.

I'm sure Johnny wasn't even thinking of the history of Russia when he put the jacket on, all he knew was it was given to him as a good luck charm for the Olympics games. I think it's funny though that in the last episode of Be Good Johnny Weir, you see Galina telling Johnny not to wear anything Russian at the Olympics and to show he's proud to be representing the USA.

Garden Kitty
07-18-2010, 08:02 PM
$125,000 US for turning up. Possible $250,000 for winning. Maybe other $$ for getting as far as he did.

Since Shawn Johnson was a minor, they had to have her contract approved by the court. She got paid $125,000 for the practice weeks and first episode, and got paid more for each additional week (http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2009/03/27/2009-03-27_contract_reveals_dancing_with_the_stars_-1.html). The contract maxed out if you made it to the final two, with no extra bonus for actually winning.

Mevrouw
07-18-2010, 08:47 PM
From the article, Evan must have been in line for the $365 Gs for being in the last two. Good for him.

zaphyre14
07-18-2010, 10:23 PM
The furor of the Russian jacket came about because, at that time, Johnny was receiving funding from US Figure Skating and the Memorial Fund. The majority of the donors and sponsors are American and some of those sponsors were upset that Johnny was seen to be rejecting the USA by wearing a Russian jacket at the Olympics. Comments wer made to the effect that, if Johnny wanted to represent Russia, then let the Russians pay to support him. His rejection of the USA team uniform in such a public venue was deemed insulting to the federation he was supposed to be representing.