PDA

View Full Version : Weir to sit out 2010-11 season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

overedge
07-10-2010, 10:41 PM
It was mentioned that, winner or not, he is the most recognizable name outside of skating. Somebody asked for evidence of that. I believe it was you!

That was not what I asked for evidence of. It was the mysterious "they" who apparently immediately think of Johnny any time they see an outrageous outfit. And as others have pointed out, Evan has a pretty large name recognition outside of skating as well.

The significance is that he has surpassed the little world of figure skating and moved into a larger arena of celebrity. Any other irons he has in the fire will be helped by his renown.

Not that if that renown is negative renown.

REO
07-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Checked the page. I've read a lot more hateful posts about Johnny during unfamous fur affair. Those didn't make him less popular, worse person or worse athlete.

I can totally believe that and very good point.

REO
07-10-2010, 11:44 PM
That was not what I asked for evidence of. It was the mysterious "they" who apparently immediately think of Johnny any time they see an outrageous outfit. And as others have pointed out, Evan has a pretty large name recognition outside of skating as well.

And you were given several examples.
Evan does have a pretty large name recognition beyond skating because of Dancing With the Stars. Why do you think he did that show? He already had an Olympic Gold medal. Why should he want that for himself? For the exact same reasons Johnny does the things he does. Because (and, sorry guys, I reiterate) because renown opens doors to opportunities and that smooths the path to money. It doesn't matter if you are dancing or hosting beauty pageants or writing books or recording songs. It's all for the same reasons. If it's okay for Evan, it's okay for Johnny, and as far as I'm concerned it IS okay for both of them. Nor were all the quotes negative. Yes there are lots about the over the top clothes but there are others too. The one about every girl appearing with a Johnny Weir lookalike on her arm was not negative. These were just the most recent and easiest to find ones for Brandi to quote.

Mevrouw
07-10-2010, 11:57 PM
..........Dancing With the Stars. Why do you think he did that show?

$125,000 US for turning up. Possible $250,000 for winning. Maybe other $$ for getting as far as he did.

REO
07-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Exactly and good for him.

judgejudy27
07-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Being a top ten is only impressive if compared to those who are not top ten skaters, LOL.

Yes, winning a bronze medal is not easy, but winning any Olympic medal or WC gold or silver are definetely more difficult. Weir has managed to win just one World bronze medal in his career, which is not impressive even if compared only to a few past and current US skaters (if compared to top skaters of other nations, Weir´s one World bronze medal is even less impressive):

- Scott Hamilton won OG plus 4 WC gold medals
- Boitano won OG and two WC gold
- Eldredge won a WC gold, 2 WC silver medals and 2 bronze medals
- Weiss won two World bronze medals
- Lysacek won OG and WC gold medal, two WC bronze medals and GPF
- Abbott has won GPF gold medal and is currently 2-time US champion

I was Weir´s fan since seeing his skating in early 2000 (in GoodWill games) and still was a fan after the 2006 Olympics. After that I started gradually to get the impression he was having some other priorities than the skating. But I have still counted him among my favourite skaters, but have never been a blinded fan.

Who is a better or more memorable skater is not just based on medal haul. Many consider Ito and Lynn the 2 greatest female skaters ever and they managed 1 World title, 4 World medals, and an Olympic silver and bronze combined between the two.

Abbott is not more achieved than Weir. He might well end up being and isnt too far off but at this moment 3 U.S titles > 2 U.S titles, 1 World bronze vs no World medal, more grand prix wins, and even 2 Grand Prix final medals virtually equals 1 Grand Prix final title. Everyone other than the most biased Weir fans like pyscho recognize Abbott has done better the last 2 seasons overall, but career wise it is still Weir clearly at this moment.

Frau Muller
07-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Oh, no. The positive spin here is that Johnny will be available to do commentary for the G-P Circuit on Universal Sports. Wheeee!!!!

skating_sarah11
07-15-2010, 07:35 AM
I think he is too concerned with just "being famous" right now to bother with skating anymore. He has turned into a fame-w**** and its actually quite sad. I think his skating was great, it went downhill about 2 seasons ago and plateaued there. Now he's looking for other things to do in which he can become more famous for (in fashion and reality TV). I would not be surprised if this is the end of his skating career not just a "year off".

NattyDread
07-15-2010, 04:15 PM
I don't think Weir is sad at all. I think he breathed new life into a fast dying sport, a sport that will continue dying, when he retires (unofficially now).

People talk about winning medals and technical skills, but that doesn't pay the bills. Johnny Weir attracted huge, new and fresh audiences, of which many may stay, if figure skating gave them some more of this.

So, figure skating continues to die, drowning in technical boredom and elite athletic mediocrity. In the race to clean up the cheating judges and butch up the skaters, figure skating has forgotten how to put on a show and the audience is leaving the arena.

gkelly
07-15-2010, 04:46 PM
What an insult to every skater who cares about skating more than off-ice personality!

igniculus
07-15-2010, 05:34 PM
What an insult to every skater who cares about skating more than off-ice personality!

ITA. :lynch:

Jenna
07-15-2010, 06:07 PM
ITA. :lynch:

Me three. What in an ignorant post.:mad:

REO
07-15-2010, 07:20 PM

REO
07-15-2010, 07:57 PM
I don't think Weir is sad at all. I think he breathed new life into a fast dying sport, a sport that will continue dying, when he retires (unofficially now).

People talk about winning medals and technical skills, but that doesn't pay the bills. Johnny Weir attracted huge, new and fresh audiences, of which many may stay, if figure skating gave them some more of this.

So, figure skating continues to die, drowning in technical boredom and elite athletic mediocrity. In the race to clean up the cheating judges and butch up the skaters, figure skating has forgotten how to put on a show and the audience is leaving the arena.

I don't think you can say that today's elite skaters are athletically mediocre! They are doing things their predecessors never dreamed of. At least many of them are. The problem is that the new scoring system makes skating just as boring as school figures used to be and less easy for fans to understand.

Johnny did attract new people to the sport because he was an interesting personality. If they had played that up rather than relegating him to the backseat because of it, they would have done themselves a favor. I also think it would have given him more incentive to bust his balls rather than rest on his popularity outside of skating. Look how many more people like Lysacek now that he danced with stars and no one has less personality than him. I do agree with your last sentence. I hope somebody comes along and takes up Johnny's flag in the future.

gkelly
07-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Johnny did attract new people to the sport because he was an interesting personality. If they had played that up rather than relegating him to the backseat because of it, they would have done themselves a favor.

Who is "they"? How could "they" have played up his personality?

Is "they" the media? I think they did their best to play it up.

Team Weir? I think he/they did their best as well. That's why he has the fans he does.

USFigureSkating and the ISU? What were they supposed to do, score his personality instead of his skating? Change the rules to favor his strengths? Encourage judges to hold up his scores or give him special opportunities not based on results just to appeal to the subset of new fans who were more interested in Weir and his personality than in the men's field, or all disciplines of the sport, as a whole?