PDA

View Full Version : SYTYCD Top 8 July 7/8

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28

GarrAarghHrumph
07-12-2010, 01:51 AM
I'm unsure of Alex's health insurance status.

Miami City Ballet is not an AGMA house - they're not union. So it's possible that Alex is not union. Miami City Ballet offers contracts that are like those of an AGMA house, and they do offer health insurance; but I believe the insurance might only be in effect while you're employed by Miami City Ballet, unless you COBRA.

I think I remember SYTYCD avoiding trouble with the unions by stating that they're a contest/competition, so the dancers aren't employees; and thus the dancers did not have to join (was it SAG?). That employment status would impact things like worker's comp. But I really don't remember this clearly. And it's quite possible that SYTYCD has a contract with their finalists, and it could well talk about things like health coverage, etc. I don't know. I can't find any info.

But as others said, Alex is Canadian, and Canadian health coverage does work in the US. It's just that it normally doesn't cover the full amount that US providers charge, so there's often a gap. I know that Canadian college students can use their Canadian coverage for US healthcare costs - but they're just in the US as students; Alex is here to work. He can still use Canadian coverage, with US providers, as a Canadian citizen living and working in the US, right?

Holley Calmes
07-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Hope this hasn't been mentioned here already, but on sytycdism there's a 6 minute interview with Alex posted July 9th when he gives a lot of answers to our questions and lots more info about how it happened, returning next year, who he wants to win, etc. He is one classy young man!

Aceon6
07-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Hope this hasn't been mentioned here already, but on sytycdism there's a 6 minute interview with Alex posted July 9th when he gives a lot of answers to our questions and lots more info about how it happened, returning next year, who he wants to win, etc. He is one classy young man!

Watched it over the weekend. If anyone wants to know what "articulate" really means, this is Exhibit A.

pixie cut
07-12-2010, 03:58 PM

Link?

Holley Calmes
07-12-2010, 04:15 PM
You have to just go to SYTYCDism.com. Then scroll down through a number of other videos until you get this one. You acess it from the main page, so there isn't a link like youtube except for the main sytycdism site.

Rob
07-12-2010, 04:26 PM
When Jessi was eliminated, she was ok to continue, but they just eliminated her. Last year when Billy got ill and was replaced at the last minute by Brandon, Nigel spoke of getting a "rule change" approved by all the producers so they could come back. He said the current rule was once you appeared on the show, you couldn't come back for another season. Billy was on the intro show, but never competed. Brandon competed and was not injured, but had little rehearsal. Nigel does seem to make it up as he goes along, but it seems that there was a no second chances rule when Jessica was on. Maybe they'd let her come back now under the new rules, but she hasn't chosen to do so (and might not make it through anyway).

If they keep the All Star format, do you think Pasha and Anya will have permanent jobs or do you think we are going to see Ashleigh and Ryan DiLello? Or Heidi? Other than Lacey, Dmitry, Chelsie H, who could be contracted to DWTS, I can't think of another ballroom person who was in the Top 10 - unless they change the no winners rule and have Benji back.

The Season 7 wiki sez: The finale will not feature four contestants this season, but only two or three (the exact number has not been announced yet). Hmmmm.

Alex said in an interview on ew.com that he would have his surgery in LA, but was probably going to rehab in Vancouver where his aunt lives.

Cherub721
07-12-2010, 08:25 PM
If they keep the All Star format, do you think Pasha and Anya will have permanent jobs or do you think we are going to see Ashleigh and Ryan DiLello? Or Heidi? Other than Lacey, Dmitry, Chelsie H, who could be contracted to DWTS, I can't think of another ballroom person who was in the Top 10 - unless they change the no winners rule and have Benji back.

Artem! :swoon: Especially since he's apparently never going to be asked to do DWTS cause he used to date Carrie Ann. Alas, season 1 gets totally ignored. :( I'd like to see Snow again too. The one quickstep she did was better than any standard I've seen from Anya. I don't think she was top 10 but that wasn't as big of a deal in s1.

It's kind of unfair to the other all stars that Pasha and Anya are the only ballroomers. They basically both get picked every week because Nigel always wants at least two ballrooms, whereas the contemporary and hip hop dancers rotate. I wonder if they are paid a flat amount per season, or per performance.

Rob
07-12-2010, 08:51 PM
I guess Artem was top 8 out of 16 so yes, let's have Artem! I don't think Snow was Top 8-10 though. Season 1 does get ignored. But also Season 6 also did not get a tour so I would like to see some of them get some more SYTYCDluv.

Allskate
07-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Couldn't Dimitri dance during the weeks when he's not choreographing?

Also, is there a reason why Benji and Lacey and Heidi couldn't or wouldn't do the show? (I'd actually be perfectly happy just keeping it as Pasha and Anya, but there are other alternatives out there.) I haven't heard that there is a no-winners rule, just that no winners were actually invited. And I know that Chelsie is still doing DWTS, but isn't Lacey done with that show?

Rob
07-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Benji - I read that they weren't going to ask winners back this year but of course they could change that for future years. If the producers decide not to ask any winners back for the year, it is the same thing to me as a rule for that year - of course subject to change like all the other rules they make.

Lacey, Dmitry were still performing in group dances on DWTS results last season so I don't know if there is a contract issue. I don't know about Heidi.

GarrAarghHrumph
07-12-2010, 09:16 PM
I remember that Lacey bad-mouthed SYTYCD pretty badly, so I'm not sure she'd be invited unless she's mended that relationship.

Rob
07-12-2010, 09:33 PM
I recall she was tweeting about the quality going downhill, but was it more than that?

genevieve
07-12-2010, 09:46 PM
I remember that Lacey bad-mouthed SYTYCD pretty badly, so I'm not sure she'd be invited unless she's mended that relationship.
Wow, I missed that :eek:

Jimena
07-12-2010, 10:19 PM
I recall she was tweeting about the quality going downhill, but was it more than that?

Well, her language was meaner... :shuffle:. IIRC, there was a "yuck" involved...

ETA: I'm so bored I went and searched for her tweets:

uhm....a certain reality show is starting to get on my nerves. no longer professionals....just generic...blah

uhhmm im sorry im beeing catty but im like gasping for air on how bad it is this season.

And then someone told her this:

JPSketch: @LaceySchwimmer I love you Lacey. I really do, but I don't think someone who's on a show like DWTS can talk. . .

And she replied this:

@jpsketch maybe you forget i went to top 4 on sytycd? and have more qualifing dance credits than many. thanks for being a "fan"

And someone mentioned Max and she replied:

@KBlackbelt honestly hes no partner dancer....yuck

Source: TWoP Lacey thread (http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=3154890&view=findpost&p=11891704)

Holley Calmes
07-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Well, considering the vast majority of people would never have heard of Lacey if not for sytycd, that was pretty trashy. Course, I called her trashy way back in the day, but it was more for her look. Maybe there's a reason she's no longer on DWTS other than she left to pursue different opportunities. I truly don't know why she left, but let's just day she didn't last long. And I do think she's a heck of a dancer.

I adore Chelsie and Heidi. Love to see both back on sytycd!