PDA

View Full Version : SYTYCD Top 8 July 7/8

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Holley Calmes
07-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Plus I consider Robert to be a stronger technical and more expressive dancer than Adechike.

I love Adechike in the sense I want to Mother him, but I agree totally. I think Robert is a much more mature performer. I was SO happy last night when Robert wasn't B3 (though I think he would have been had Alex not been in the position he was. And i think he would have been axed because they just can't get rid of Billy nor leave it with one girl.)

Mia, Mia, Mia....I respect her abilities, and I know people in the dance world are outwardly critical in ways that can be very cruel and public-I have had plenty of experience with that! But people who don't know the dance world are probably not enamored with her behavior. I just didn't think it was appropriate for a national TV show.

However, I did like the heaven group dance. LOVED Ade as the big angel all back-lit. That was Ade, right?

pixie cut
07-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Most dance companies have seasons that don't include summer. A few of the biggies have seasons that run into summer, but most don't. Most dance companies can't afford to pay dancers year round. I believe Alex tried to be on the show when they went with a Fall "season" and Miami Ballet was up and running at that time.

I think Alex tried out and in effect made top 20 in season five, last summer. I don't think the time the show would air was the issue. It was the fall tour. If Alex made top 10, which seemed almost a gimme, he'd have been obliged to do the tour and that would have directly conflicted with Miami City Ballet season.

tarotx
07-09-2010, 05:53 PM
I have an online friend who said that Alex's issue with Miami might have been in his contract he wasn't allowed to do non ballet. She said that is how it is with her company.

Rob
07-09-2010, 06:40 PM
I think Alex tried out and in effect made top 20 in season five, last summer. I don't think the time the show would air was the issue. It was the fall tour. If Alex made top 10, which seemed almost a gimme, he'd have been obliged to do the tour and that would have directly conflicted with Miami City Ballet season.

Yes, it was Season 5 which was a summer show. That year, Miami City Ballet went back to work in July for a short early August appearance in Vail, CO, but it was just select dancers so they might have let him out of that - but they didn't: http://www.tonyaplank.com/swan_lake_samba_girl/2009/08/04/alex-wong-and-miami-city-ballet-in-vail/ But the full company had performances in Oct, Nov, Dec and they certainly didn't want to let him out of that so that would have been a major conflict with the tour.

pollyanna
07-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Alex :wuzrobbed I sincerely hope this doesn't ruin his career and that he's able to come back healthy and able to dance wherever he chooses. Alex is probably one of my two favoritest dancers ever on this show (Allison being the other).

I'm throwing all my votes at Billy next week. He's the best of the rest IMO.

Totally agree. Since the announcement of top 11, I picked Alex and Billy for the final 2. I usually don't bother to vote, but with Billy undeservedly landing in the B3 2 weeks running, I'm pretty darn motivated. Kent's a good dancer, but not as far along as Billy, not as mature or sophisticated yet, and I kinda sorta resent Kent because I think he's grabbing a lot of votes that Billy might have gotten without Kent on the show.

Gutted for Alex. I will still watch, but the show just lost a lot for me. But didn't gymnast Courtney Kupets rupture her achilles twice - the first time she returned to compete in the Olympics within a year and the second she won multiple NCAA titles around year later. So one can hope Alex's will go as well. It is going to depend on how his tendon was before this - if he's had chronic tendonitis and cortisone shots, it could get more complicated. I think that gymnast Ivan Ivankov had to have his achilles reconstructed using tendons and muscle from other parts of his body because his ankle was mush from all the cortisone. But he came back and won World AA in less than a year. Alex is young so there is hope.

Surya Bonaly also suffered a ruptured achilles tendon in May 1996, causing her to miss much of the following season. I was shocked when Misty May-Treanor injured hers - I wonder how her recovery is coming along?

Allskate
07-09-2010, 08:14 PM
FU Mia. Is Mia going to apologize?

I get passionate and frustrated as a teacher, too, but I don't put my students down. That wasn't tough love, it was bitchy.

Not to mention biased. Her response to Cat's comment about Jose doing the same thing, but being praised for it, was lame. She goes soft on mistakes by Jose and Kent, but is overly harsh with Adechike. It's different from being biased and bitchy in her classes. She is saying bitchy things in front of millions of people. I think the only reason she apologized is because she realized it was backfiring and she therefore wouldn't have a chance to send Adechike home. Imagine if she had to choose between Billy and Ashley.

This week sucked. We went from a great competition to losing Alex to a terrible injury and having two of the best dancers in the bottom two. (Not to mention just seeing a little bit of Mark this week.) I blame the tween texters for Billy's position, though I think there probably also are people who think he's so good that they assume he's safe so they don't vote for him.

Personality has a huge impact on the votes. I thought this one of Robert's weekest weeks, but they talked about how nice, humble, and hard-working he is, and suddenly he's no longer in the top three. I don't think he previously deserved to be bottom three and it clearly was personality that put him there.

GarrAarghHrumph
07-09-2010, 08:34 PM
This was one of Robert's weakest weeks, but IMO, it was mainly due to the Quickstep, which was very not good.

I hate to say that I miss Mary's critiques, but in situations like that one, I do. I know you've probably already discussed this, but where is Mary this season?

LordCirque
07-09-2010, 09:02 PM
I don't think any reason has been given for Mary not being there this season. I haven't found one anyway.

Rob
07-09-2010, 09:14 PM
I was shocked when Misty May-Treanor injured hers - I wonder how her recovery is coming along?
I read that her surgery was successful and it was not expected to interfere with her volleyball career because she was taking time off anyway.

I have had 3 ballet friends who did this onstage in the middle of a performance and they came back just fine after rehab.

Rob
07-09-2010, 09:21 PM
I don't think any reason has been given for Mary not being there this season. I haven't found one anyway.

When they announced Mia as a permanent judge, the media reports said that Mary was going to be a guest judge (auditions and probably for the finale when they all come on) and possibly choreograph again. I saw an article where she said she was envious of the choreographers and wanted an Emmy opportunity. :barrel

LordCirque
07-09-2010, 09:29 PM
My support will now be 100% behind Billy, I just really hope he can pick up momentum. Like several others, I had him and Alex as the Final 2. I wish we'd gotten to see them do another Mia piece together later in the season.

Satellitegirl
07-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Billy, Ashley, Robert, Lauren are the dancers I enjoy most. Billy and Ashley are probably my favorites out of those left. There's something arrogant about Adichike that turns me off...like he believes his own hype...otherwise I'd say I enjoy his dancing.

LordCirque
07-09-2010, 09:43 PM
If not Billy, probably Ashley or Lauren. I do enjoy Robert quite a bit but he's been disappointing. He started off so strong in that African Jazz and just hasn't kept that up really, although the piece with KAthryn this week was pretty strong, even with the small mistake, which may or may not have been his fault (Yes I know Rob and HC, always the guys fault, blah blah blah :P )

tarotx
07-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Kathryn says the mistake was hers.

Rob
07-09-2010, 10:11 PM
(Yes I know Rob and HC, always the guys fault, blah blah blah :P ) :D

What I wanted and what I thought would happen are 2 diff things - I wanted Alex, Billy, Robert, and Lauren in the final 4 at first, but now I think I will root for Billy, Robert, Lauren, Ashley. But I think the final 4 will be Kent, Jose, Lauren and I am not sure who else. Maybe Adechike if they keep slamming him.