PDA

View Full Version : SYTYCD Top 8 July 7/8

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Skittl1321
07-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Of course, this is just my opinion, but I think there are probably quite a few other dancers out there who are on a level with Alex who might now be encouraged to be on this show.

If I was a professional dancer- I'd stay far away from this show. Alex suffered what could be a career ending injury. There is a lot of speculation that it is because of the need to dance two very very different dances without the proper time to warm up the specific muscles needed for each in between them.

Many other dancers on the show have had semi-serious injuries too (though probably nothing more than what a professional has also had to deal with.)

Yes- I know that Hongbo Zhao suffered the same injury and came back- apparently with a modified boot. Since he's a pairs skater and not an ice dancer, he doesn't need the same level of foot articulation Alex dances barefoot and needs a full range of motion- for a perfect pointed toe to an over flexed foot. He could easily be out for good if the surgery does not go well. (However an experienced ballet teacher on one of the pre-professional ballet boards I read suggests that with a few months of PT he could be back into ballet classes in a few months)

Aceon6
07-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Come back Anthony!!

But that will just set us up for a repeat of this season's dilemma which seems to have impacted Billy. I lurve me some Anthony, but not against Alex if he decides to return.

FunnyBut
07-09-2010, 03:07 PM
I think they already told Alex he can come back, which is great. However, I do think it would

1) leave other contestants at a gigantic disadvantage since Alex has been building support for 2 seasons now, especially after leaving on a tragic note right after having creating the high point of the whole season.

2) there will be enormous pressure on Alex himself to meet the lofty expectations.

But I just want him to fully heal and be able to be the great dancer that he is, then we'll see what happens next.

For the rest of this season, Billy seems to be stepping up his game at just the right time. I'm still hoping the B3 results was just the result of Mia-nipulation gone madly awry.
I'd be ok with a Billy or Lauren win. A Kent or Jose win would make me cringe.

skatesindreams
07-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Many others here have summarized what I feel about/for Alex.
I'll be praying that Tuesday's surgery goes as well as possible; and that his recovery/rehabilitation will allow him to dance again.
His devastation was obvious. I ache for him.

Perhaps this will light a fire under Billy. How awful for it to happen this way.

Angelskates
07-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Despite being devastated, I am delighted we got to see the dance with Alex and Twitch before he injured himself. I wished they'd replayed it tonight instead of all the crappy filler.

genevieve
07-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Of course, this is just my opinion, but I think there are probably quite a few other dancers out there who are on a level with Alex who might now be encouraged to be on this show.

If I was a professional dancer- I'd stay far away from this show. Alex suffered what could be a career ending injury.
I agree with Skittl1321. I think truly professional contemporary/ballet dancers haven't, on the whole, been on the show because they're already working. Why take the time out for something that might come to nothing? Or, I think some have auditioned and not made it to the top 10 (and maybe not gotten air time during auditions) because they are too mature (in demeanor, not necessarily age) or not deemed tv-friendly. I thought Danny would have brought more pros to the show, but that didn't really happen - possibly because of the "arrogant" treatment he got. Alex may have encouraged other pros to give it a shot - but after that injury? No way. :scream:

I do agree that there has been a very 'competition-y' feel to many of the dancers, but my guess is that those are the dancers who are well-rounded and most tv-ready.

Rob
07-09-2010, 03:56 PM
I can't tell you how many times I've heard an exchange like that in rehearsals, in class, or in general conversation, both directed at me and other dancers. ... It's a normal occurrence and statement to me.

Well, Mia apologized, but stood her ground. It stuck me as harsh, but entirely normal in the dance world because I was used to that kind of harsh comment too. Dancers were screamed at, told they were fat, lazy, stupid, told they were hurting the teachers eyes, all in front of lots of other students and sometimes parents. They would have done the same thing on national television. Sometimes we would show up for pointe class and our teacher would tell the 3-4 superstars who had Sylvie Guillem legs and feet to stay - she'd send the rest of us to pirouettes class with another teacher. She'd flat out say she only wanted to see the best of the best that day. Not to mention newspaper reviews which can be scathing and not in the least constructive. Rude, sure, but very normal.

pixie cut
07-09-2010, 04:11 PM
I think truly professional contemporary/ballet dancers haven't, on the whole, been on the show because they're already working. Why take the time out for something that might come to nothing? Or, I think some have auditioned and not made it to the top 10 (and maybe not gotten air time during auditions) because they are too mature (in demeanor, not necessarily age) or not deemed tv-friendly. I thought Danny would have brought more pros to the show, but that didn't really happen - possibly because of the "arrogant" treatment he got. Alex may have encouraged other pros to give it a shot - but after that injury? No way. :scream:.

There have been a few dancers before Alex with considerable professional credentials -- Danny, Anya, Pasha -- but he seems to be the most successful on the show to date. Anya and Pasha largely earned their livings by teaching. The show gave them more opportunities to perform for pay. There are real risks of injury, like torn ACLs and other knee damage. Why give up a good paying professional dance job, like Alex had, to potentially end your entire dance career? I got the impression Melissa had not had steady employment like Alex. This is a show for the Ades of the world, talented young dancers looking to make a name for themselves.

With Alex gone, I don't really care who wins, just as long as it's not Jose. He kind of sucks. I don't even mind if Kent wins, because he's a decent dancer. Just young and silly. Don't get the Lauren love, but she's okay. Is this season over yet? It terms of genuine interest, it is for me.

Angelskates
07-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Alex wanted to try something different and stretch himself. I really don't understand why so many people don't understand why he's doing this. Lots of people, no matter what the profession, want a change, to find out how far they can go, try something new, just to see if they can do it. Just because someone has steady, stable work doesn't mean they need to stay in that steady, stable work. I think it's great that he wanted to do something new, no matter the risk. It's his attitude that means he'll likely be successful to some degree, in whatever he decides to do. He accepts challenges and the risks that go with them. Good for him - it'll take him far.

Rob
07-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Gutted for Alex. I will still watch, but the show just lost a lot for me. But didn't gymnast Courtney Kupets rupture her achilles twice - the first time she returned to compete in the Olympics within a year and the second she won multiple NCAA titles around year later. So one can hope Alex's will go as well. It is going to depend on how his tendon was before this - if he's had chronic tendonitis and cortisone shots, it could get more complicated. I think that gymnast Ivan Ivankov had to have his achilles reconstructed using tendons and muscle from other parts of his body because his ankle was mush from all the cortisone. But he came back and won World AA in less than a year. Alex is young so there is hope.

Rob
07-09-2010, 04:35 PM
I don't know, LC. It was Adechike as the big angel in the center. I kinda like Lauren's get-up. At least it's not a highly-unflattering baby doll dress.

The big angel in the middle was All Star Ade, who I assumed to be filling in for Alex. After second watch, what I got out of it was a non-literal interpretation of Mia's mother being met by her father and other angels inside the gates of heaven.

Twilight1
07-09-2010, 04:35 PM
I am not interested in the show as much now either. Alex made the show for me. I will still watch for the all -stars because I am hoping Mark performs again, but I don't care who wins this year to be frank.

Jun Y
07-09-2010, 04:40 PM
It stuck me as harsh, but entirely normal in the dance world because I was used to that kind of harsh comment too. Dancers were screamed at, told they were fat, lazy, stupid, told they were hurting the teachers eyes, all in front of lots of other students and sometimes parents. They would have done the same thing on national television. ... Rude, sure, but very normal.

I don't think the problem is that she was rude and harsh, but that she was disproportionally harsh to one contestant on national TV for no good reason. If all the judges have been screaming at all contestants for being fat, lazy, stupid, horrible, incompetent, it would not have caught so much attention. However, they have been very pleasant and supportive to all other contestants except in this instance.

This is why her comments on Wednesday stuck out like a sore thumb. It was not fair or warranted, and strangely disproportionate. Compare this behavior with Nigel going out of his way to practically beg/instruct the audience to vote for Robert, despite his obvious lack of expressiveness and mediocre technique. It was quite shocking --- for me at least.

Adechike has not got along with the judges since the qualifying rounds. Perhaps he is combative with them and has not shown enough deference. Perhaps he gets on their nerves. But their critiques do not make sense if viewed in context of their critiques to other contestants. I'm not an Adechike fan, but I find the whole thing a bit disturbing. The judges are not winning my respect.

Holley Calmes
07-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Most dance companies have seasons that don't include summer. A few of the biggies have seasons that run into summer, but most don't. Most dance companies can't afford to pay dancers year round. I believe Alex tried to be on the show when they went with a Fall "season" and Miami Ballet was up and running at that time. Hence the contract problem. I know for a fact that many, many dancers are free right now-usually up until late August/September, because one of our alumni, Robert Dekkers, just premiered his own new contemporary company Post: Ballet in San Francisco. It's called Post:Ballet because he hires dancers who are on hiatus for the summer, and this company is a "summer company." My husband also tries to photograph people when they are on summer hiatus because they aren't under restrictive contracts and are free to free-lance.

I know-if there's a tour, it would eat into company season time. I know...I know. I just want to see better dancers, and this year's crop is I think better in many individuals.....I just want to keep it going.

Post:Ballet is previewed on page 18 of this month's Dance Magazine. Here's the web site. I think all you dance folks will enjoy the photographs-my husband didn't do them, but they're still great! :lol:

www.postballet.org

LordCirque
07-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Well, Mia has always been known to be tough on those when she feels they are dancing poorly or not as well as they can. This isn't anything new for her.

I do think their critiques and reviews match his dancing and performances. One of the few times this has happened.

Plus I consider Robert to be a stronger technical and more expressive dancer than Adechike.