PDA

View Full Version : SYTYCD Top 8 July 7/8

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Jimena
07-08-2010, 03:26 AM
What are the numbers to call? I think I might throw Adechike, Ashley and Billy a few votes.

pair mom
07-08-2010, 03:28 AM
Thanks jenny 12!! What a wonderful clip to share to remind us that Dom is much, much more than a B-boy!!!! :)

Theatregirl1122
07-08-2010, 04:45 AM
What are the numbers to call? I think I might throw Adechike, Ashley and Billy a few votes.

I don't know how late we can vote but I just found these:

Lauren- 1-888-6-BEST-01 (1-888-623-7801)
Jose- 1-888-6-BEST-02 (1-888-623-7802)
Kent- 1-888-6-BEST-03 (1-888-623-7803)
Adechike- 1-888-6-BEST-04 (1-888-623-7804)
Billy- 1-888-6-BEST-05 (1-888-623-7805)
Ashley- 1-888-6-BEST-06 (1-888-623-7806)
Robert- 1-888-6-BEST-07 (1-888-623-7807)

Jun Y
07-08-2010, 04:58 AM
I have a suspicion that some of the dance choreographers were instructed by the producers to help make some contestants look particularly good. For example, it has become clear that Kent is unable to handle emotionally complex and mature subjects, so he is given a prom-themed dance this week and, unsurprisingly, was praised by the judges for being in character. Robert is generally wooden and self-conscious when he is performing, so he is given this clever plastic-doll routine, which of course suits him perfectly. Meanwhile, other contestants (eg, Adechike, Ashley) were not given such special treatment.

PeterG
07-08-2010, 04:59 AM
Sorry, I haven't been following the SYTYCD threads here at FSU, so my apologies if this has already been stated...

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE AMERICAN PUBLIC

My Cherished Americans,

When you continue to vote women into the bottom three, that means there is a much higher chance that next week we will get less Mark.

In conclusion, STOP BEING STOOPID!!!!!!!!!! :angryfire

Sincerely yours,

PeterG

genevieve
07-08-2010, 06:46 AM
The first hour of this show was really great, especially after last week (other than Alex and Twitch, I found last week disappointing). Second hour was .... far less satisfying.

Hour 1:
Lauren/Pasha - Cha Cha, Jean-Marc and France
She had lovely lines and they connected well together, but it seemed to me there wasn't much cha going on - she seemed to handle the legwork better than the hip action so they just left it out? And I'm not sure where all the comments about Lauren no longer being a 'little girl' came from - I don't recall that being a criticism of her before.

Jose/Lauren G - Mandy Moore Contemporary
Back off haters, this was my favorite dance of the night. YES, it was choreographed so that Jose was mostly just doing the work of partnering, but the parts where he had more dancing were done well (I saw those pointed toes!), and the two of them were smoldering. I continue to be impressed by Jose's musicality and performance ability.

Kent/Comfort - Dave Scott Hip Hop
I agree with whoever said upthread that choreographers were apparently told to play to their dancers' strengths this week. It was smart to give Kent a hat - I don't know if having his face semi-shaded made him lay off the facial goofiness or we just couldn't see it, but my eye was pulled to his dancing and nothing else. Agree with the judges that he pulled off a smooth, Timberlake-like performance, or perhaps he reminded me of Mr Schu from Glee... It looked like Comfort made a mistake toward the end.

Adechike/Courtney - Mandy Moore Jazz
I liked the idea of this piece but felt it didn't go far enough choreographically. I agree with Nigel that the side by side dancing was the highlight of the piece - but that was not Adechike's fault, he and Courtney did a great job. Woah, Mia just slammed him. And the nasty voter manipulations begin. :rolleyes: Rude - and we get the first "when you see the playback..." from Adam. DRINK!

Billy/Katee - Spencer Liffs Broadway
Loved Billy's costume, definitely his best performance on the show. He looked comfortable for once. Unison probs at the end but I'll chalk that up to Katee coming in late.

Ashley/Dominic - NappyTabs Hip Hop
I don't know why the judges are all shocked she's be good at this style of hip hop. She got it done, and done well, but the choreo was just ok and those saggy pants were distracting so I can't get rah rah over it.

Robert/Kathryn - Sean Cheesman Contemporary
I loved the concept of the dance and it was a good showcase for Robert. Could they not see each other when inside the box? It looked like there was a wall between them they pounded on - that would explain the unison issues right off the bat. This worked well as 2 solos, less well as a duet. Unfortunate issue on that flip for Kathryn. Er....people think Robert is arrogant? And Nigel and Mia have to come in and tell all the fans of the show they are making things up? Good grief, how desperate are they to have Robert out of the B3?!?

Hour 2:
Adechike - Bollywood
Great athletics, very entertaining. definitely a bit loose for Bollywood and it was performed more like a West African dance. Poor Adechike looked nervous before getting his comments. I wanted to fcuking throw something at Mia for saying how much she was missing Alex in that moment. In fact, I think they deliberately put Adechike with Alex in the hopes of a negative comparison for Adechike, and because their plan was disrupted they took it out on Adechike :mad: Then Nigel gets all "we are attempting to improve you" :drama: and blah blah about attitude when Adechike was being totally respectful in taking the comments. Aaaargh these judges make me so mad sometimes! :wall: Thank goodness for Cat calling them out on their hypocrisy, even if it only led to more nastyness :blah:

Kent/Lauren - Travis Wall Contemporary
I didn't love the concept, but I thought it was a lovely and well-performed dance. ironic that a piece about a high school dance got the most mature performance out of Kent - no goofy persona, no facial shenanigans. Lauren was lovely

Robert/Ashley - Dreaded Quickstep
I agree that the legs were too far apart, and the hops looked labored, especially at the end. The highlight moves were lovely though. they picked on Robert a lot, but I didn't think Ashley was noticeably better...but it wasn't a disaster. I had to laugh at Mia picking on the music though. Almost every paso they've done on this show has used music that was so distracting that I couldn't even focus on the dance...this was no big deal!

Billy/Jose - Afro Jazz, Sean Cheesman
Er.... I liked the piece, but think this pairing was an experiment that just didn't work. I thought it was Billy's 2nd best performance on the show (of course the bar was set very low), but agree that he brought a bit of the earlier Broadway into it. This is the first time Jose looked unconfident, and his flaws as a dancer really showed. maybe he thought it would be an easier style and didn't have to push himself so hard, maybe he can't turn on the performance charisma unless it's a male/female piece...who knows, but these two were like oil and water. Sean Cheesman looked hacked off when the camera panned to him during judges comments.

I would expect Adechicke and either Robert or Jose in the B2 tomorrow. More likely Robert I think. Of course, Adechike may get quite a few calls due to the completely unnecessary rudeness of the judges.

genevieve
07-08-2010, 06:48 AM
I forgot to say anything about Alex! I really hope he doesn't have a ruptured Achilles...forget the show, I just don't want him to have such a career-threatening injury. He is a truly stunning dancer and I'm crossing my fingers for him.

jenny12
07-08-2010, 07:01 AM
Sorry, I haven't been following the SYTYCD threads here at FSU, so my apologies if this has already been stated...

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE AMERICAN PUBLIC

My Cherished Americans,

When you continue to vote women into the bottom three, that means there is a much higher chance that next week we will get less Mark.

In conclusion, STOP BEING STOOPID!!!!!!!!!! :angryfire

Sincerely yours,

PeterG

:respec: It sucks that only two females are left, especially for the reason that you pointed out (Mark!!). Besides the possibility of being denied Mark and Pasha, IMO Lauren and Ashley are well above most of the male dancers this season. Hoping they both stay in tomorrow, but not holding my breath.

LordCirque
07-08-2010, 07:36 AM
Okay, I know I'm alone in this opinion, but considering the Bollywood piece was supposed to have Alex in it, and that is where Mia said the comment, I don't think it was that harsh, since Alex is one of her, and everyone elses, favorites. Had it just been a random off the cuff comment, I'd agree it was rude, but since Alex was supposed to be in that piece and she was probably looking forward to seeing him in that style and piece, I think it's an understandable comment and sentiment.

And I bet in the circumstance if any single poster on this board was in that judging chair in that moment, myself included, would have said the exact same thing.

skateboy
07-08-2010, 08:43 AM
I actually like Jose--while he may be less skilled, I think he may have more talent than many of the other contestants. I'm with genevieve--really liked his first dance tonight. Not saying he's the best dancer, and no, I don't think he should win. But he's not my choice to leave just yet.

Kent doesn't do it for me. He's a decent dancer, but to me, very predictable, unoriginal and not particularly special. (Don't get the "charisma" comments from the judges...)

Alex is miles ahead of everyone. Hope he'll be okay.

LordCirque
07-08-2010, 08:52 AM
I'm growing bored of Kent. I like his dancing, but I'm just growing bored of him. We aren't seeing anything new in his personality.

Billy really stepped up in Alex's place. I think Billy was expecting to be the technician of the season, but instead thats been Alex, and deservedly so. I think Billy saw that he had an opening and FULLY took advantage.

I agree with Nigel and Mia RE Robert, I don't understand where the arrogant comments have come from at all. The problem with the lift was disappointing, but I was impressed that it didn't interupt the flow of the choreography at all and they didn't lose the musicality at all.

I also agree whole heartedly with Mia RE Adechike and his piece with Courtney, the only thing I enjoyed about that piece at all was her dress.

I actually did like Jose & Lauren's piece, my DVR only recorded the first half of the show so I'll have to find the rest of it elsewhere.

I'm fearful Alex will be leaving tomorrow, but my hope is that it's Adechike.

MarieM
07-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Alex :( :( :(

Jimena
07-08-2010, 12:24 PM
And I bet in the circumstance if any single poster on this board was in that judging chair in that moment, myself included, would have said the exact same thing.

I completely and thoroughly disagree, LC.

I agree with Nigel and Mia RE Robert, I don't understand where the arrogant comments have come from at all.

I haven't read any comments about his arrogance at all. I thought they were flat out lying. I've read about how annoying Robert is, however, and I can't disagree. He's toned it down, though.

I'm over Robert. I'm over Kent. Kent's winning this thing, continuing the tradition of America picking my least favorite dancers.

Holley Calmes
07-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Kent's winning this thing, continuing the tradition of America picking my least favorite dancers.

Gad, I hope not!

Aceon6
07-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Gad, I hope not!

Well, the math nerd in me is thinking that the viewers who really care about the quality of dance, the Miami folks, and the ballet people will lose interest and may stop voting. If that's the case, we're looking at a Kent/Jose final.