PDA

View Full Version : Happy 30th Birthday to the KWEEN!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Spinner
07-07-2010, 04:19 AM
Michelle turns 30 July 7th. Still can't believe it. :fragile:

Hope she has a fab day! :cheer2:

attyfan
07-07-2010, 04:22 AM
May she have many, many more of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

genevieve
07-07-2010, 04:30 AM
screw that 'minor planet' business...July 7th should be National Kween Day :cheer2: :cheer2: :kickass: :rollin:

aftershocks
07-07-2010, 05:47 AM
Same topic as the thread, "Are you ready to feel reaaallllly old?"

skatemomaz
07-07-2010, 05:57 AM
screw that 'minor planet' business...July 7th should be National Kween Day :cheer2: :cheer2: :kickass: :rollin:

:respec: :cheer::cheer: Happy Birthday to Michelle!

Same topic as the thread, "Are you ready to feel reallllly old?"

Hey, this is The Kween! :glamor: :40beers:

aftershocks
07-07-2010, 06:13 AM

But why "screw 'minor planet'"? It was a fantastic gift for Johnny's birthday. Takes nothing away from anyone else. And believe it or not there are some similarities between Johnny and Michelle (in terms of their skating). Obviously, lots of differences too, especially in their personalities, but beyond both sharing July birthdays, they both have huge adoring fan bases, and they both have made a remarkable impact on the skating world (Yes, I realize some believe that's not true in regard to Johnny, and everyone's entitled to their opinions, likes and dislikes).

For me, Johnny and Michelle are my absolute favorite skaters over the last fifteen years. And, another connection: 2004 Nationals. Johnny made his mark as U.S. Champion and up-and-comer in a grand comeback from the disaster in Dallas. Kwan skated her heart out in a performance that was arguably the beginning of the end of her career. The following year would be her final competitive performance at Nationals. JWe and MK both received perfect 6.0s for their presentation (of course MK had 6 more than Johnny); Johnny was so amazed at his scores, he remarked that he couldn't believe he got a 6.0 like Michelle Kwan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS2gDtYl0yM Weir LP 2004 Nats
MWeiss couldn't believe it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQSoIEAxns Kwan LP 2004 Nats

height of jumps didn't matter -- MK owned the ice and absolutely commanded the arena

MK is her own planet ... she's made a difference in the world beyond skating. Incomparable --- and the skating world, while many were in awe of her, TPTB to a certain degree seemed to want to find someone to beat her (especially over the latter years of her career). They just didn't get that she was a huge star and a skater who while transcending the sport, could have helped TPTB put the sport on the map, if they'd only known how to make that happen and hadn't taken her for granted. Yu Na is wonderful and she represents her country so marvelously, but at this point, IMO, she is a minor planet in comparison to Michelle. That is not knocking Yu Na (all kudos to her, I'd love to see her continue to develop and learn how to stretch and point her feet more). Kwan also had things she improved on over the years -- unlike Johnny, MK maximized her talent.

genevieve
07-07-2010, 06:15 AM
But why "screw 'minor planet'"?
Because some people in that thread take everything way too seriously.

ambern024
07-07-2010, 06:16 AM
aw yeay! I love Michelle! Happy Birthday to her!!!

UMBS Go Blue
07-07-2010, 06:26 AM
:cheer2: :40beers: Happy Birthday Michelle! :40beers: :cheer2:

I think I share many fans' sentiments when I say that it's been a joy to witness your successes and accomplishments so far. May many more lie ahead. We will continue to be inspired, every step of the way. :respec: :cheer2: :inavoid:

And drop me a line if you ever need a dim sum partner out there in Boston. I'd be happy to fly over on a moment's notice. ;)

aftershocks
07-07-2010, 06:36 AM
Happy birthday, ma belle, Dr. Michelle! :respec:

VALuvsMKwan
07-07-2010, 07:33 AM
Happy birthday to the object of my username's affection. 30 is just the beginning...

MR-FAN
07-07-2010, 07:58 AM
Ah Kwan. How you manage to put a spell on so many, I'll never know.

I can't wait to see her new exhibitions this year!!

IceJunkie
07-07-2010, 08:13 AM
I would say I would love to be half as accomplished as she is by age 30, but that means I would have to go to one Olympics, win 4 national titles and 5 world medals, so that probably won't work out. :lol:

Anyway, happy 30th to MK. :rockstar:

MikiAndoFan#1
07-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Happy birthday, Michelle! Lots of health and happiness!

:cheer2:

briancoogaert
07-07-2010, 10:40 AM
WOW, another lucky number 7. To 30 !
Happy birthday Michelle, forever the Kween !