PDA

View Full Version : Emmy Award Predictions - Nominations Announced Thursday, July 8

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

VIETgrlTerifa
07-05-2010, 05:40 PM
This is a rare season where I've actually watched some television. Because of that, I'm actually pretty excited about the Emmy Awards. They are going to announce the nominees on July 8 and the actual ceremony will take place on August 29th, which is early this year.

What shows do you think will be nominated for the major categories?

I found a few sites that showed off some predictions, but I'm not exactly sure how they came up with them.

This site seems to have a great overview of the contenders of each of the major categories:

http://boomer.awardsheaven.net/

While this one seems to get more in-depth with each of the contenders giving why they should get nominated and why they shouldn't (sometimes it gets to be 15+):

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-the-fien-print/posts/emmy-nomination-predictions-for-2010-begin

and of course there's goldderby:

http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_goldderby/emmy_awards/

For Drama, it looks like it's Mad Men's award to lose, again. Of course it was Lost's last year, and it has a huge fanbase. Maybe the Emmy voters will let the show and its cast go out with a bang. That said shows like Breaking Bad and The Good Wife look like they're picking up support in the other categories. I'd be very interested to see if Glenn Close will win her third Emmy Award for Damages and if the show will get a third nomination for Best Drama. For the first season, people forget that Damages was the first basic cable show, with Mad Men, that got a nomination for Best Drama Series. I hope Martin Short and maybe even Campbell Scott can move in for Best Supporting Actor and Rose Byrne maybe win for Best Supporting Actress. Lily Tomlin looks like a strong nominee for Best Guest Actress in a Drama. Close's Emmy chances seem to be dwindling with Julianna Margulies winning all sorts of awards for the Good Wife. I also wonder if the Emmy voters will have the guts not to nominate Sally Field and Holly Hunter. Many people felt their nominations last year were undeserved and only done because of name recognition. BTW, how many nominations did Mariska Hargitay have for Law and Order: SVU?

The comedy side should prove to be an interesting battle, IMO. Modern Family and Glee going against the established 30 Rock and possibly The Office if it gets another nomination for their so-so season. I hope to skate gods that Two and a Half Men and Family Guy don't get nominated for Best Comedy Series considering that the former is one of the worst shows I've ever seen and Family Guy's novelty wore off years ago.

I hope Nurse Jackie sneaks in a nomination for Comedy Series, but it seems like a long shot. In that case, I guess hoping for a Supporting Actress nod for Eve Best and Merrit Weaver for the show should be good enough (both look like long shots).

I really do hope Jane Lynch's Emmy is already in the bag for Glee as she gave one of the best and most comedic performance I've ever seen on television. I wonder which episode she chose to submit for the voters because there are so many to choose from. I do hope that despite my (and everybody else's) love for Betty White, Kristin Chenoweth walks away with the Best Guest Actress in a Comedy Emmy. That episode was tailor-made for her and showcased all her strengths as an actress.

PeterG
07-05-2010, 07:38 PM
As long as Lost wins an Emmy for every single category it can be entered in, I'll be fine.

And Jane Lynch MUST win. Or else. :mad:

:lol:

Wyliefan
07-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Even though Monk got a bit stale at the end, I'd love to see Tony Shalhoub win just one more. Yes, I know people are tired of him winning them, but I really don't care. :D

I'd like to see James Roday nominated, though. He's way overdue. Of course, the way the Emmys go, he'll probably never get nominated. It's always the same old, same old. Which bugs me . . . except in Tony Shalhoub's case!

tarotx
07-05-2010, 08:58 PM
I would love to see Matthew Fox and Timothy Olyphant join Bryan Cranston, Michael C. Hall and Jon Hamm for Best drama actor.

TalentedButHumble
07-05-2010, 09:13 PM
TBH inserts standard "Parks & Rec" luuuurve comment. (And I will be surprised if it doesn't at least get nod for best show and writing and perhaps a couple of actor nominations.)

And, I repeat re: my other recent comedy fave: If Better Off Ted had the fan base and network support it was worthy of, Portia di Rossi would've been a shoo-in for an acting award.

Lucy25
07-05-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm hoping The Big bang Theory and Jim Parsons get a nod.

Beefcake
07-06-2010, 12:10 AM
:drama: I hope that The Amazing Race can somehow sneak in for a nomination.

VIETgrlTerifa
07-06-2010, 12:19 AM
:drama: I hope that The Amazing Race can somehow sneak in for a nomination.

LOL. I love the sarcasm. For those of you who don't know, The Amazing Race has won the past seven Reality-Competition Program Emmys, and they've only given out seven.

KikiSashaFan
07-06-2010, 12:31 AM
Another vote for Jane Lynch. I'm also torn for the guest category between Kristen Chenoweth on Glee and Betty White on SNL.

walei
07-06-2010, 02:25 AM
LOL. I love the sarcasm. For those of you who don't know, The Amazing Race has won the past seven Reality-Competition Program Emmys, and they've only given out seven.

Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains totally deserves it this time. Hope they win!

Also rooting for The Big Bang Theory, GLEE, LOST and Betty White!

smurfy
07-06-2010, 02:55 AM
After Lost ended, I was so hoping that it would win the Emmy and for Matthew Fox to win best actor.
But I am fickle.
I just rewatched the last episode of last season's Mad Man, and now am hoping for that show and Jon Hamm to win.
Show me another good show with a hot male lead, and I might change my mind again.
I do hope Locke or Ben win too!! (or Sawyer!!)
Interesting about Survivor - it was an awesome season, and as much as I love Amazing Race, it was not its best season.
Juliana Margulies is great, but I have never seen Damages -and it does not suprise me to hear how great Close is.

HeatherC
07-06-2010, 05:14 AM
The only thing I'm going to predict is that Friday Night Lights gets screwed out of their deserving nominations for the third year in a row. I'm about 95% sure that I'll be right too. *sigh* :fragile: :(

screech
07-06-2010, 05:48 AM
As a fan of True Blood, yes, I'm rather partial, but I can see it sneaking in there to nap a best Drama nomination, and also hope that Allan Hyde gets a guest actor nomination (which would be fully deserved) for his role as Godric. And while he won't get nominated (despite being part of the drama actors emmy roundtable), Alexander Skarsgard had an AMAZING scene that would be worthy of one last season, and all it takes is one episode submission...

Also... Jennifer Carpetner is more than overdue for a nomination for Dexter.

Portia de Rossi and Jay Harrington for Better off Ted - I think they were brilliant.

manhn
07-06-2010, 06:10 AM
If Lost can win Best Music/Score (whatever the category is called), then I'll be satisfied. The Emmys only award shows on obscure cable stations nowadays, anyway.

Long shot nominee: Busy Phillips on Cougartown. She had my favourite line of the season, as she explains why she is wearing a shirt with "OHIO" emblazoned across it: "I've never been to Ohio, but I do love this shirt because the O's frame my boobs perfectly and it says 'HI' in the middle."

AragornElessar
07-06-2010, 06:16 AM
While I have a bad feeling it's not going to happen, Thomas Gibson really deserves a nod for his work on Criminal Minds this season, but especially for the 100th landmark episode and the resolution of all that was set up w/the Cliffhanger from last year and this Season's Premiere. Really afraid it's not going to happen, but I can hope!!

I was wondering when the Nominations would be announced and was headed here to ask, so imagine my shock to see a thread already up. :D