PDA

View Full Version : Grab your bat and hit the sweet spot. Tennis 2010 vol.3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Loves_Shizuka
07-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Maria Sharapova finally gets a top 40 win this year; beats Zheng Jie in the 1st round of Standford, 6-4 7-5!

Dinara Safina's nightmares continue; loses to Kimiko Date (again!) 4-6 7-6 6-2. I lurrrrrve Kimiko, hope she can keep going.

judgejudy27
07-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Could Safina just retire already. All she is doing is helping to make a mockery of the current WTA by showing that someone who spent most of last year ranked #1 can be 0-2 vs a 40 year old women who in her prime about 15 years ago was only about the 12th best player in the World.

Loves_Shizuka
07-28-2010, 11:08 AM
^I'm not sure "giving up" is the answer to Safina's (or anyone's) problems. She's no Monica Seles or Serena Williams; she can't just come back from a major injury and win tournaments or get to the finals of slams. Her body has gone through alot, and lets face it, her mentality has always been suspect. She clearly needs time and match practice, and lots of it. I'm not a big fan of hers, but it must be really hard for her right now.

And yes, Kimiko may be 40 and "past her prime" but show the woman some respect gurrrrl! I personally find her inspirational; the very fact so many people think she SHOULDN'T be posting wins like these make them all the more enjoyable in my book. She's clearly loving playing again, and is doing it for the right reasons; great to see a pro with such good spirit and fun on court.

judgejudy27
07-28-2010, 11:44 AM
I dont think Safina will ever reach the heights she attained in 2008 or 2009 or even close to it. In fact I would be surprised if she is ever a top 20 player again. She is not a remarkable talent so basically overachieved through a tremendous amount of hard work and despite her fragile mentality a streak of confidence. She isnt even as talented as Petrova or Zvonareva really, let alone as much as Sharapova, Kuznetsova, or Dementieva, so to reach her lofty heights of 08 and 09 was a huge effort and overachievement for her. The womens field after hitting an all time low in 08-09 is bit by bit improving again and her game is so mechanical and one dimensional she is finding improvements hard to make, and everyone has figured her out now whether she plays well or not. There is nothing about her that inspires fear in an opponent, a B-level power game with no serve, big deal.

I think retirement would just be a good option for her as the rest of her career is only certain to be an immense frusteration after having that dream (and for a player of her talents dream is an understatement) period of reaching 3 slam finals, an Olympic final, winning all those tournaments, and reaching #1. She cant realistically ever approach anywhere near those heights ever again, so the rest of her career is sure to be only one of frusteration in a sense.

Loves_Shizuka
07-28-2010, 12:33 PM
^Are you certain it's certain her career is going to be one-long frustraton from now on? Whilst I definitely agree with you re: "over-achieving" and I also agree that she won't reach those heights (no.1, GS finals etc.) again, I don't think she SHOULD retire - and NOTHING is certain, especially in the crazy world of the WTA. I can only assume that Dina still believes she can reach the top again; whether it will happen or not is a different question. However, if the desire, motivation and belief is still there, she aint going nowhere just yet - and IMO nor should she. She loves playing so why should she retire; whilst she was out with her broken back, she said she thought about retring because the injury was so bad, but being away from the game made her realise just how much she loves it. If she were to retire now, I think she'd personally regret it. That is, of course, providing her body holds up, which is a question mark.

judgejudy27
07-28-2010, 12:43 PM
I guess regarding if her career is certain to be one big frusteration to retirement, I guess it depends what expectations she has for herself from here and what would reasonably satisfy here. I have a feeling she believes she can get back to #1 and win a slam, in which case yes I can say with complete certainty her career is destined to be one big frusteration until retirement.

And it also depends what you think she is capable of. My opinion is she will never even be back in the top 20 and will continue with plodding results the remainder of her career. In which case it is almost certain her career will be one big frusteration to retirement even if her own personal expectations of herself are now more modest.

I am usually pretty good with these kind of predictions. I predicted after the 2001 Australian Open that Hingis would never win another slam (ok it took until 2 years after he actual last but still earlier than most probably predicted it). I predicted after the 1998 French Open final where Seles lost to Sanchez Vicario that Seles would never make another slam final. I predicted after Wimbledon 2008 that Sharapova would never win another slam, of course we cant tell for certain if that is right yet, but it seems more and more likely all the time. I predicted after 2006 Mauresmo had reached her career apex and would go down the tubes to retirement from there. And for Safina I predict her to never even return to the top 20. Time will tell.

Some of my other future predictions:

-Venus Williams has already won her final slam, in fact might well not even make another slam final
-Henin will rediscover some semblance of form and win atleast 2 more slams
-Clijsters will win atleast 2 more slams before retiring again
-Serena will reach atleast 16 slams
-Jankovic and Dementieva will both somehow win a slam before retiring. 1 each only.
-Stosur will win a French Open in the future, which will be her only slam.

Loves_Shizuka
07-28-2010, 01:48 PM
^You don't happen to be an octopus named Paul, do you? ;) :lol:

No, I agree with lots of what you say. Safina is definitely not one of the top talents in the world (and my god, I think she's painfully hard work to watch) but I *do* think she'll get to the top 20 again. How much higher, I don't know.

I actually agree with lots of your other predicitions: I also think Venus' glory days are over, and I agree that Justine is going to come the fore again. Kim still has some majors in her but I also think Maria does too. She's soo young and talented enough (esp in comparison to many of the others) to win some more GSs; it's just going to take time. I'm NOT convinced about Lena D. however, and not sure about JJ either; I want a slam for Jankovic more than anyone else, but I have my question marks. If she can recapture her late 2008 form, then of course she can, but...well, we'll see. What do you think of Kuzzy and Ivanovic returning to form?

judgejudy27
07-28-2010, 03:21 PM
I think Kuznetsova and Ivanovic are finished pretty much. I dont see them as top 10 players again in the future. I could see either making a sneak run to a slam semifinal but no more than that.

I havent made up my mind about Maria yet so I wont make a definitive prediction on her. What I do predict is even if she wins several more majors they wont start coming until say 2013 or close to it. Basically her "resurgence" if it happens wont happen until Serena, Henin, Clijsters, are gone completely or fading quite visibly. I dont see another slam from her until 2012 at the earliest though, and one thing I will comfortably predict is she will never win the French.

Dementieva and Jankovic both had a great shot to win the French this year and they blew it, well Elena was legitimately injured but it looked like she was on the way to losing to Schiavone even before she attained the injury. Stosur was playing great but was still being overrated. She beat a visibly below par Henin in 3 sets, and Serena on clay especialy at this point is very beatable and Stosur still barely beat her after blowing a 6-2, 5-2 lead. Schiavone showed to everyone Stosur was not unbeatable at this years French at all, playing excellent but certainly not unbeatable as she herself couldnt even beat a soon to be 30 year old career journeywomen in the final. Still I just have a feeling Dementieva will get the breaks to win one, she has gotten so many tough breaks over the years she will be due one and it will take her to the trophy. I think JJ will reevaluate her mentality after what happened at this years French and will fight hard enough to snare one the next times she gets that kind of opporunity.

Rottie
07-29-2010, 02:10 AM
Federer taking on Annacone as coach -- trial basis.

neptune
07-29-2010, 03:14 AM
...loses to Kimiko Date (again!) 4-6 7-6 6-2. I lurrrrrve Kimiko, hope she can keep going.

:respec: to Kimiko Date Krumm for her amazing longevity on the tour. Someone oughta bake her a Krumm cake or something. :lol:

neptune
07-29-2010, 09:55 AM
I am usually pretty good with these kind of predictions.

Unless they involve Evan Lysacek, I suppose. ;)

Time will tell.

It's such a blabbermouth, isn't it? :D

-Venus Williams has already won her final slam, in fact might well not even make another slam final
-Henin will rediscover some semblance of form and win atleast 2 more slams
-Clijsters will win atleast 2 more slams before retiring again
-Serena will reach atleast 16 slams
-Jankovic and Dementieva will both somehow win a slam before retiring. 1 each only.
-Stosur will win a French Open in the future, which will be her only slam.

Except for the one about Serena, I like your predictions. ;)

I'm not so sure Venus is done, though. (I thought she was done years ago when she plummeted in the rankings, but I was wrong.) In today's weak field, anything is possible. I'm not saying that I think Venus will win another Slam necessarily, just that it's possible IMO, especially at Wimbledon. (Serena would probably have to falter, though, because I don't really see her beating Serena.) But I'd say Venus has only got a window of two years or so. I also have a hard time believing Jankovic or Dementieva will win a Slam, but it would be great to see that happen.

judgejudy27
07-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Wimbledon this year showed anyone can beat Venus at even Wimbledon now. She has no fear amongst the other women now. Many more women can match her power and dont go into matches worried about being overpowered by Venus. And she is slowing down, speed, reflexes, racquet head speed (the latter a big part of why she isnt as clearly overpowering over the others).

Yeah I guess she could sneak out another Wimbledon but I think it is very unlikely. As you said she has to avoid Serena. And Serena is going alot stronger than Venus now. I think she also would have to avoid Clijsters, yes even on grass, since Kim has owned her for awhile now and Venus is fading. Maybe she could beat Henin on grass, but Henin with her determination to win Wimbledon would probably find a way to beat a past her prime Venus too, even on grass which is her worst surface to play Venus. So she would have to avoid 2 or 3, maybe a 4th with Maria, and even then she is still vurnerable to being beaten there now. As for the other slams I dont see any chance for Venus at this point other than "maybe" having a shot at the U.S Open this year if something happens with both Kim and Serena. Obviously the French and Australian are out, and by the time of next years Wimbledon and U.S Open she will be 31.

Loves_Shizuka
07-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Elena Baltacha beat Francesca Schiavone in the 2nd round of Istanbul 6-4 6-2. :eek:
I know Fran is clearly on a bit of a honeymoon since RG, but when the hell was the last time a British woman beat a reigning GS champ?! Jo Durie?! I know Sam Smith beat Conchita Martinez at Wimbledon once, but that was five years after Conchi's win (though don't get me wrong, that was a FAB win for Smith!)

Bally's having a fantastic season!

oleada
07-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Has Schiavone even won a match since the FO?

The fall cometh for Melanie Oudin :o Crushed by Azarenka today, horrid stats on serve.

Loves_Shizuka
07-29-2010, 11:39 PM
^Ouch for her ranking afer the USO.

Schiavone has one win (I think) against Anne Keothavong in Istanbul.