PDA

View Full Version : Grab your bat and hit the sweet spot. Tennis 2010 vol.3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

judgejudy27
10-07-2010, 04:39 PM
For whatever reason Roddick rarely does much of anything indoors. I dont see him passing anyone even if Berdych is struggling now, and he could easily be passed by both Verdasco and Ferrer. Ferrer also somewhat surprisingly often does quite well indoors. And even if he qualifies for the TMC Roddick will probably pull out like usual.

Beefcake
10-07-2010, 05:18 PM
We'll see, I guess, but you may have picked the wrong guys as easily passing Roddick. True, Andy hasn't won or reached nearly as many title matches for his career indoors, but he's been far better than Ferrer or Verdasco. Even without his small current lead, I'd take Roddick over those two, other things being equal ...

A-Rod is 123-41 indoors for his career. Verdasco is 41-39 indoors for his career. Ferrer had a losing record indoors for his career until pulling even this week in China.

Andy's problem has been a propensity for getting injured in the Fall, after playing A LOT over the summer on hardcourts. This year, it seems that he reversed that, being injured all summer and thus playing far less ... so perhaps he'll make his "run" in this year in the Fall. (Probably has considerably more motivation, too, this fall versus earlier years, given the medicre hardcourt season he experienced.)

Beefcake
10-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Serena says she'll return to action next week (www.cbssports.com/tennis/story/14091061/serena-says-shell-make-return-at-event-in-austria), and play the Fed Cup final (Nov. 6-7, in San Diego), versus Italy. They'll need her in San Diego, as Venus is out for the remainder of the season with a knee injury (or "knee injury", as it were), and there is pretty much nobody else for the US.

neptune
10-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Serena says she'll return to action next week (www.cbssports.com/tennis/story/14091061/serena-says-shell-make-return-at-event-in-austria), and play the Fed Cup final (Nov. 6-7, in San Diego), versus Italy. They'll need her in San Diego, as Venus is out for the remainder of the season with a knee injury (or "knee injury", as it were), and there is pretty much nobody else for the US.

Looks like she re-strained her foot and is most likely out for the year now.

judgejudy27
10-12-2010, 04:38 AM
I hope Serena doesnt have to miss the Australian Open but the way things are looking now it wouldnt surprise me. It sounds like this foot thing is becoming somewhat chronic.

Beefcake
10-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Well, Verdasco blinked again in Shanghai ... another 1st round loss. More points left on the table toward qualification for London. But Ferrer, fresh off his final run last week, is chugging along ... Downey soft draw for the second straight week, but hey ya gotta win those matches.

Nothing comes easy in a Masters tournament, er, :shuffle: well except for those Chinese wildcards this week. Ugh, those are even better than a bye. WCs in most other Masters tournaments will bring guys who can put up a decent fight, some even in the ATP top 50, but in China it's a sad state of affairs ... and a big advantage to those who draw them.

Hmmm, Berdych and Kohlschreiber both with stomach troubles today. What is this, the Commonwealth Games? Delhi Belly in Shanghai? :P

Big John :cheer: ... fighting off 7 match points to prevail, and earns a match versus Federer for his trouble. Maybe Roger will come in a bit rusty from his long layoff?

Dammit, Serena. oleada's favorite gal Miss Wozniacki should be quite settled in as #1 by the time little sister returns.

oleada
10-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Beefy, hence the reason I am not following tennis at the moment....

Megi
10-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Nothing comes easy in a Masters tournament, er, :shuffle: well except for those Chinese wildcards this week. Ugh, those are even better than a bye. WCs in most other Masters tournaments will bring guys who can put up a decent fight, some even in the ATP top 50, but in China it's a sad state of affairs ... and a big advantage to those who draw them.

I think Sexy Radek, who lost to a WC Chinese player yesterday, is going to disagree with you on this. ;)

neptune
10-13-2010, 03:35 AM
I hope Serena doesnt have to miss the Australian Open but the way things are looking now it wouldnt surprise me. It sounds like this foot thing is becoming somewhat chronic.

Didn't foot injuries shorten several big players' careers?

BigB08822
10-13-2010, 04:50 AM
Didn't foot injuries shorten several big players' careers?

I wouldn't say it shortened her career but a foot injury is what ended Seles' career. She was clearly past her prime anyway but without the foot injury she could have continued to be a factor deep into Slams for a couple more years, I assume. Didn't Hingis also go out to a foot injury?

judgejudy27
10-13-2010, 04:53 AM
Hingis supposably retired due to foot problems. I think she really retired since she was struggling to keep up with the increased power in the womens game and fell out of the top 10 in late 2000 after a string of losses to women not ranked in the top 10. I actually think the 29-31 year old Seles by that point would have been similar to that too. Both Hingis and Seles would have been 10-20 players during the 2003-2005 period even had they been healthy and played and regularly gone out in the round of 16 (or earlier) in slams. The big 4 during this time were Venus, Serena, Henin, and Kim all at their peaks, and then Sharapova and a slew of Russians who were around then at their best, Mauresmo, Davenport, and Capriati followed them.

Beefcake
10-14-2010, 05:03 PM
:watch: Murray is "in" for London. Kudos.

:wideeyes: Melzer over Rafa! Wowsers. It's still an outside shot, but Jurgen can actually qualify for London if he goes deep here at Paris.

Meanwhile, Ferrer didn't capitalize on Roddick's injury w/d, losing to Soderling. Berdych didn't put any more distance between him and those #7 and below, losing today. Of course, if Andy's injury lingers at all, Berdych and Ferrer are pretty much "in" for London.

Best quote ... after his 6-1/6-1 shellacking Dickie Gasket, who was apparently tired from playing two matches in 24 hours, Djokovic brushed it off with "I didn't know how Gasquet was feeling, and I didn't care" [not a bitchy comment, just explaining that his goal - ultimately successful - was to control the match, etc. etc.] :lol:

judgejudy27
10-14-2010, 05:05 PM
There will most probably be some withdrawals from the TMC anyway. I dont even remember the last time Roddick even played it though he qualifies every year. And likely someone else. The #10 and even maybe #11 will get in if past history is any indication.

CaptCrunch
10-17-2010, 12:43 AM
:cheer::cheer::cheer: Roger Federer got revenge on Djokovic today for his US Open loss by beating him in straight sets in Shanghai to reach the finals. Tomorrow he plays the vile Andy Murray. Go Roger Go. :):)

Kimiko Date Krumm is playing in the finals of the Japan Open tonight against Tamarine Tanasagarn. Date is 40 and Tanasagarn is either 33 or 34. I wonder if its the oldest ladies final in WTA history? :eek:

neptune
10-17-2010, 04:01 AM
:cheer::cheer::cheer: Roger Federer got revenge on Djokovic today for his US Open loss by beating him in straight sets in Shanghai to reach the finals. Tomorrow he plays the vile Andy Murray. Go Roger Go. :):)

What is the deal with the allegations about Federer and his manager concerning match fixing? I just saw something brief about it. Are they saying he gave his manager some inside info about a French Open match? How believable is that?

Kimiko Date Krumm is playing in the finals of the Japan Open tonight against Tamarine Tanasagarn. Date is 40 and Tanasagarn is either 33 or 34. I wonder if its the oldest ladies final in WTA history? :eek:

How can it be the oldest? I mean, it hasn't even started yet! ;)

At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if Date Krumm wins a major next year. :D