PDA

View Full Version : Grab your bat and hit the sweet spot. Tennis 2010 vol.3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Beefcake
09-19-2010, 08:17 PM
PHEW!

14 sets and some 12 hours of tennis in 3 days at altitude on slushy clay and with funky balls ... this Davis Cup tie was nothing but a Big Fish story. :D

Awesome accomplishment, Mardy.

CaptCrunch
09-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Of course it didn't come easy did it? Typical Mardy Fish in that he had to work for everything. I was cursing him out in that 5th set thinking he was going to blow it once again.

Kudos to Fish for coming through. He won all 3 pts and was the first American to do it since Sampras vs Russia back in 95. :cheer2::cheer2:

Of course Pat McEnroe could have made it a little easier on him by playing the Bryan brothers in doubles so Fish could have just concentrated on his singles matches. ;)

Congrats to Serbia for beating the Czech Republic. Tipsarevic beat Stepanek in straight sets. Serbia will host France in the finals Dec 3-5.

BTW, the draw for the 2011 Davis Cup will be Wednesday the 22nd.

Beefcake
09-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Of course Pat McEnroe could have made it a little easier on him by playing the Bryan brothers in doubles so Fish could have just concentrated on his singles matches. ;)
:P I'll take the bird in the hand, thankyouverymuch. chirp chirp

You really do not know what would've happened with the Bryans in tow. Maybe one Bob Bryan would've cramped during the doubles match, forcing a forfeit, putting the US sqaud down 1-2. Maybe Mardy would've obtained an achy back due to the day off, or perhaps not gotten his "center" under the rough conditions without that doubles match. Maybe Mike Bryan would've had a flu bug and given it to the rest of the US team on Friday.

I'll take this outcome! :kickass: coaching job by PMac.

Megi
09-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Serbia and France, my dream Davis Cup final. :cheer:

Also, big :cheer2: for the Fish and team USA. Well done, boys!

Had so much fun at the CAN vs DR tie the last two days.

It was a blast seeing Daniel Nestor play again yesterday. The man is so brilliant I was joking that he'd be able to win that doubles match on his own. After the match, Frank Dancevic who was Daniel's partner, said he was more nervous about playing with Daniel more than playing the Davis Cup. :lol:

Today's singles matches were dead rubbers but the Canucks still played really well clinching straight set wins (Polansky, 6-1, 6-2, Dancevic 6-0, 6-1). So we stay in the 1st America Zones group. Would love to see our boys make it to the World Group play offs next as this is the best squad we had in years.

Took some pics, will post them later.

Rexall Centre is hosting a Futures event this week, between some decent Canadian entries (Dancevic, Pospisil) and Brendan Evans it should be a good event. Will make sure to attend some of the matches.

CaptCrunch
09-19-2010, 10:27 PM
:P I'll take the bird in the hand, thankyouverymuch. chirp chirp

You really do not know what would've happened with the Bryans in tow. Maybe one Bob Bryan would've cramped during the doubles match, forcing a forfeit, putting the US sqaud down 1-2. Maybe Mardy would've obtained an achy back due to the day off, or perhaps not gotten his "center" under the rough conditions without that doubles match. Maybe Mike Bryan would've had a flu bug and given it to the rest of the US team on Friday.

I'll take this outcome! :kickass: coaching job by PMac.

Considering the Bryan brothers are 16-2 lifetime in Davis Cup matches and have been very loyal to both Patrick McEnroe as coach as well to playing Davis Cup they deserved to be there this weekend. I'm glad Patrick McEnroe got a happy ending to his coaching tenure, overall he did a great job as captain but he made a bad choice here by snubbing the Bryan brothers.

Beefcake
09-20-2010, 05:29 AM
:lol: Oh my, statistically you cannot argue that what is proven -- 100% success -- is a bad choice versus what would "probably" have happened.

Megi
09-21-2010, 01:41 AM
As promised, posting a few pics (http://picasaweb.google.ca/MegiCAN/DavisCupCANVsDR#) from the DC weekend.

CaptCrunch
09-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Draw for Davis Cup is tomorrow at 630am EDT in the US.

USA got seeded 6th. Only country that had to qualify which got seeded. Chile was the only QF which didn't get seeded. Sounds fair.

USA will draw 1 of the remaining 7 qualifying countries or Chile for their 1st rd opponent.

BTW, Belgium came back from 1-2 deficit to defeat Australia and advance to the World Group. Lleyton Hewitt suffered a wrist injury in doubles and couldn't play singles on the final day. He will be out for 3-4 weeks.

CaptCrunch
09-22-2010, 01:49 AM
Tennis notes:

Well well 42 year old Thomas Muster actually won his first rd in Ljubljana beating some guy by the name of B. Puc 6-3 6-1. He plays A. di Maurio (something like that) in the 2nd rd. Isn't di Maurio a French player?

Tomorrow in Metz in the 2nd rd:
Paul-Henri Mathieu vs Richard Gasquet

1st rd result in Tashkent (ladies)

Magdelena Rybarikova def. S. Sharipova 6-3 6-3
So there's another Sharipova on tour? I realize its spelled differently. ;)
Anyone know anything about her?

oleada
09-22-2010, 01:55 AM
She's from Uzbekistan - as in an actual Uzbekistani, not some Russian import - and she's only 16, ranked somewhere in the 300s.

CaptCrunch
09-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks Oleada. I figured if anyone knew anything about her here it would be you. ;)

Davis Cup draw is out.....USA plays at Chile first rd. That means more red clay but Chile really doesn't have anyone else except Gonzalez (Nicolas Massu is getting old). With the dates being March 4-6 I wonder if Roddick will be interested in playing down there?

If the USA wins they will probably host Spain in the 2nd rd. Spain plays at Belgium in the first rd.

Megi, looking at the draw I totally expect your Canadian boys to be playing for the World Group next September.

Megi
09-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Eville draw! Congrats on making it to the World Group, India, after coming back from 0-2 deficit against Brazil. As a reward, you get to play Serbia in Serbia in R1 next year. :duh:

Davis Cup draw is out.....USA plays at Chile first rd. That means more red clay but Chile really doesn't have anyone else except Gonzalez (Nicolas Massu is getting old).

IIRC, Gonzo doesn't play DC anymore for some reason PLUS he's reportedly out for 9 months with a serious hip injury (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=5603160) (surgery on Oct. 4).

If the USA wins they will probably host Spain in the 2nd rd. Spain plays at Belgium in the first rd.

The Belgians are always tricky opponents. On paper, it looks like Spain easily but might get interesting.

Megi, looking at the draw I totally expect your Canadian boys to be playing for the World Group next September.

First round they play Mexico (in Mexico) - challenging but definitely doable. Then possibly Ecuador (in Ecuador) and that's definitely harder to do (slightly less if Nico Lapentti retires). I still have nightmares of the tie in Canada last year, wil Frank Dancevic having match points against Lapentti before eventually losing in 5 sets. :duh:

Either way, we wuzrobbed of Davis Cup on home turf next year. :wuzrobbed (I men, well, maybe the play offs but that's a long way to go)

Beefcake
09-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Well, at least the US doesn't face Croatia -- the USA's Davis Cup kryptonite -- early, or go to Serbia 1st round ala 2010. And at least we'd would HOST Spain this time around if both make it to R2.

The past couple of years it seemed like every important tie was on the road ... which mean our old pal slow red clay. With Davis Cup, though, what goes around comes around. A beneficial draw helps. To wit: 2010 finalist, and favorite to win, Serbia had a dream draw this year, with three home ties (including the upcoming final) and just one "away" ... which happened to be almost home -- Croatia.

Hurry up and name Jim Courrier coach, USTA (or whoever does the choosing)!

oleada
09-23-2010, 04:16 AM
Del Potro will play Bangkok! :cheer2:

Rottie
09-24-2010, 10:50 PM
So . . . I'm incredibly ignorant about Davis Cup. What was the U.S. playing for in its last tie? If they'd lost, would they not have played Davis Cup next year? Or would they have played a "minor circuit"? I guess I'm wondering how the schedule is set up and how each year's champion is decided, if some nice person has time to explain it to me. :saint: